Bistro at Cabot Shores

• Friend
  • Veg-friendly
Contact 902-929-2584

30 Buchanan Dr (at on Cabot Trail 10km north of Englishtown), Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada, B0C 1H0

Serves meat, vegan options available. The Bistro is part of the Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort. It specializes in slow cooked cuisine, vegetarian and vegan fare using fresh ingredients grown on a garden on the premises (apples from its orchard, and wild berries), foraged in the wild, or obtained from a local farm. Ocean-view dining room and deck. Offers daily breakfast and dinner; check hours for seasonal hours.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Karlena

Not the Same - Edit

We booked at Cabot Shores based in part on the great reviews from this site. However, shortly before our June 2016 stay, the hotel acquired a new culinary team and put together a new menu. While the new menu is still vegetarian-friendly, it might be more difficult for vegans, as they seem to use a lot of butter. Also, they were still getting the kinks out while we were there--one night they were out of two of the three vegetarian entree choices. If you eat breakfast, don't expect much--some bread and peanut butter would be the only vegan choices.

On the plus side, the setting can't be beat. It is breathtakingly beautiful (though don't stay in Room 2 in the Lodge), and there are few other veg-friendly options in the area. So it's worth a trip, just a bit of a disappointment in comparison to what prior reviewers suggested.

Pros: Scenery, Friendly staff

Cons: Few options

Wonderful Find - Edit

My husband and I were staying at a friend's rental cottage in Baddeck and were hoping to eat out at least once during our trip. I was afraid there wouldn't be anywhere to find a vegan meal but lo and behold: The Bistro at Cabot Shores to the rescue!

The food was simple but wonderful. The local beer was great. And the owner chef was fantastic. The portions were more than adequate for me; slightly on the small side for my husband, but it wasn't really a problem. My only complaint is that I think the tip was included automatically, without that being explained in advance.

We never saw a menu...I spoke with the owner via email and there's only one vegan option per night so there was no need to look at a menu...which means we never saw a price. We were really surprised when I saw the bill. I was also surprised that there was no line for "tip" on the credit card slip. After reading the most recent review, I get it. I'm assuming now that the tip was already added. Not realizing that at the time, however, I paid the bill and tipped again in cash, making the meal really expensive.

We would definitely go back and if you have the chance to go, you should. Just ask about the price and gratuity ahead of time so you know what to expect.

Pros: Great atmosphere., Great food., Friendly staff.

Cons: Ask about the price & gratuity policy.

Lovely vegetarian meal at Cabot Shores - Edit

My hubby and I enjoyed a wonderful evening with Paul and friends at Cabot Shores on our honeymoon.

Food and conversation were great!

Pros: Great atmosphere

Cons: Gratuity automatically included

Lovely setting and tasty food - Edit

We arrived an hour before they opened at 6, with our gluten-free vegetarian 16-year old. They let us come in, browse around, give our order early, and wander the beautiful grounds. We had delicious curry and a vegetarian pad-thai, which they re-made gluten-free for our daughter. Definitely a pleasant spot for tasty veggie food in the land of the lobster!

Fantastic veggie and vegan options - Edit

My wife, my colleague and I recently had a wonderful vegetarian dinner at Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort. The owners, Paul and Barbara, were super friendly and the food was extremely good. We highly recommend to anyone visiting Cape Breton Island to visit their excellent Bistro.

Pros: Great Vegan and Veggie Options, Owners are very nice, Fantastic and beautiful location/view

Happy meal at Cabot Shores, Cape Breton - Edit

I had a happy meal at Cabot Shores this month!

Paul and Barb Weinberg hosted a gathering of student historians at their Cabot Shores resort beside Indian Brook, Victoria County, Cape Breton. The Weinbergs extended their Saturday evening invitation to some local neighbours. They treated us to a choice of three delicious creations by chef George Smith from the Dancing River Sprite Teahouse. George came out of the kitchen to talk about his preparation of the dinner choices. He was entertaining--and appetizing!

I heard murmurs of delight amid the usual meal sounds of slurping and chewing around me. Though I had already eaten a meal earlier in the evening, I had no problem cleaning the plate in front of me--vegetarian curry that was tender, tasty, and the right "temperature." And it was followed by a unique dessert that involved pineapple and sweetened condensed milk, at which the murmurs of approval grew to a hum.

Equally good was the table conversation, which is always the case at Cabot Shores. It's a great place to mingle with friends we don't get to see often, and to meet new people we'll want to see again.

I had to leave just as our musician friends--fiddler Paul Cranford and pianist Sarah Beck--were starting to play jigs, strathspeys, reels, hornpipes, and slow airs. Just a hint of what is available on Cape Breton's North Shore !

The evening was complete with a walk out to the Cabot Trail under a canopy of stars and three blazing planets: Jupiter and luminous Venus in the west, and Mars behind me in the east. Who could ask for more?

Vegetarian Oasis - Edit

What an absolute delight it was to enjoy the deliciously authentic vegetarian Palak Paneer for dinner at Cabot Shores! I was asked "how spicey?" and received the perfect amouont for my taste buds. Having spent some time in India, this diner was quite impressed with the quality, texture, taste and presentation of this wonderful meal. Cabot Shores is a vegetarian oasis and a rare find for healthy nourishment on many levels. Highly recommended and 4 cows up!

Fantastic experience! - Edit

My husband and I visited Cabot Shores with our girls for a family vacation in September, 2011. Our accommodations were lovely, and the vegan meals prepared for us were the highlight of our trip. We coordinated breakfast and dinner every day, with the addition of several lunches. We had a variety of delicious meals, incorporating ingredients from the on-site organic garden, and lots of different flavours. We enjoyed our meals so much that we ended up asking Barbara for one of her recipes before we left! It was wonderful finding such a beautiful location that would happily accommodate our vegan food requests. The meals were a big hit with our girls (both toddlers). When asked what her favourite part of our trip was, our daughter Eloise (3 years old) told us it was the meals we had at the lodge! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Cabot Shores as an excellent vegan holiday destination.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Yummy Stirfry - Edit

I enjoyed Barbara's vegetarian cooking a lot! I had a delicious stir fry made fro ingredients fresh from the organic garden at Cabot SHores. I really licked the spicy kick it had too! The home made granola at breakfast was a treat too. Hope to try more things there!

Pros: Organic, Tasty, Healthy

Best on the Island! - Edit

What a gem of a place! Open year round, this fabulous bistro offers delicious Vegan, Vegetarian, Seafood and meat options....which kept my husband happy! The ingredients are fresh right out of their organic garden. They also had nice local wine and beer options. We were totally impressed and will be back for sure!

Pros: Healthy and delicious options, fresh organic ingrediants , great freindly staff

Soups to Die For - Edit

Soups at Cabot Shores are always different, incorporating incorporating ingredients that are wholesome, locally grown, often organically from their own garden. They represent a fusion of cuisines from different parts of the world, ie from Asia and Cape Breton or Switzerland and North America. Herbs are used to produce unusual flavor spikes and are also used as attractive garnishes to enhance their eye appeal and add to the lovely presentation. The soups are all hearty and leave you with a satisfied and happy tummy. Enjoy!

Coconut Curry soup - Edit

I recently had the pleasure of enjoying Barbara's coconut curry soup. Absolutely delicious! I highly recommend the soup to anyone whether they are vegetarian or not. The beautiful location and great food are both well worth the drive.

Return to Cape Breton Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bistro at Cabot Shores closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1781 times since Feb 2011.