First Review by Joloco

Cool place - Edit

It's always nice to combine food, culture and ideology! A great place to hang out, food was delicious, the place is very well decorated and the book collection is the cherry on top of the cake!
We were extremely lucky cos during our stay in Zaragoza there was a "world countries vegan tapeo's route" and we couldn't have enjoyed more!! There were a lot of people following the route which was surprising of us! Made us love Zaragoza even more!
Staff was very nice, even with everybody ordering at the same time and tapas were unstoppably coming out of the kitchen!

Pros: Atmosphere, Good fair trade food, Terrace

Friendly ambience - Edit

In the quarter "La Madalena" is placed this vegetarian restaurant, with anarchist-cultural ambience (even it has a large library) and spacious room in two areas: bar with tables and more tables in the back. All food is vegetarian with some vegan options. Good quality and size of all food. Very friendly service. Inexpensive prices.

Pros: Quality of food, Ambience, Price

Fantastico - Edit

The front bar is awesome with a huge notice board and a community library full of novels, poetry and other books. Birosta is definitely part of the strong counter-culture in Zaragoza, and it's great to be able to get a feel for this - even if you're just travelling through. It's a workers' cooperative where everyone gets paid the same salary, and participates in running the place through democratic workers' control. Their mission includes participating in the local social economy and 'making vegetarianism more accessible to the whole world.'

The restaurant in the back is spacious and comfortable with lots of vegan options on the menu, clearly marked. The menu del dia at lunch time was great value, and 2/3 of the options were vegan. We had soup, salad, felafel, and veggies - all delicious, with home-made wholesomeness. The next night we had a hamburger and a curry - both yummy.

Pros: Great space and food, Counter-cultural hub, Great value menu del dia

My favourite veg restaurant in Zaragoza - Edit

Organic, fairtrade and homemade food in a casual and nice place. Everything is delicious (even my non-veg friends like it) and it's quite affordable. The menu has several vegan options with a 'V'. It's better to call in advance, and don't accept credit cards (only cash).

Very good food, excellent presentation! - Edit

We had lunch in this restaurant and we had two main courses, dessert, bread and drink for 10€. I had fennel and orange soup, spinach and cheese crepe and brownie (very small portion, though) Food was excellent and very well presented. The local is very interesting: there is a section to read books and you can also see/buy pictures from the walls. I went with my colleagues from work and we liked so much that we are planning to go once a month. I will take pictures next time so you can see it.

A real find! - Edit

Birosta was the only veggie place that was open in Zaragoza at 9pm on a Wednesday, except La Zanahoria. (We'd been there the night before and wanted to try somewhere else - we went to all the other veggie places listed in Zaragoza and they were all closed!)

Worried that the kitchen might be closed, they'd only just started serving when we arrived! It looks like an alternative pub and it's casual in style, but the restaurant is spacious and the staff are professional. It's got a cool atmosphere, and there's lots of lefty-liberal political posters up. The toilets are a bit punk-style, however...

We were the first people in the restaurant part at 9pm, but by the time we left the place was full and there was a small queue for tables! So it's definitely a popular place.

And I can see why; the starters were great - we shared potato with blue cheese sauce and bread, and there was plenty to go round. For the main course I had Thai pasta (which was very nice but snatched from me by an over-eager waitress while I still had one mouthful left in the bowl!), and my partner had seitan steak with red wine sauce and mashed potato, which was also very nice.

The cheesecake with fruits of the forest which we shared for dessert was excellent!

Good prices too, the meal cost about 26 Euros for both of us, including two drinks each.

Pros: Atmosphere, Menu, Prices

Cons: Toilets

Return to Zaragoza Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Birosta closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1662 times since Aug 2009.