Biocenter Restaurant Vegetaria

• Vegetarian
Contact 933014583

Pintor Fortuny 25 (at 3 blocks south of Placa Catalunya), Barcelona, Spain, 08001

Veggie restaurant. Daytime features a salad bar buffet and a menu of the day. Some organic offered. Night time features a la carte ordering of assorted specials from menu. Large space, casual atmosphere. Smoking allowed in front of restaurant.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Buffet, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by Stevie

tons of vegan options and super healthy! - Edit

Great for breakfast. Lots of healthy choices. Smoothies and cold pressed juices. Vegan desserts and lunch items galore. If you want delicious, pure and healthy faire, this is the place for you. Ou can tie out or eat in.

Pros: good music

Busy and accommodating restaurant with good food - Edit

I stopped in here for lunch with a friend. Food was tasty and good value, and the atmosphere was nice. Nice stop for lunch. I had the buffet salad to begin (wasn't clear what was and was not vegan on the salad - needs some labeling), and the tofu burrito next, which was really delicious. I'd probably go back.

Pros: Good atmosphere, Nice food, Inexpensive

Cons: Needs labeling on the salads, Multiple servers for one table

Nice ambience, nice food - Edit

My partner and I went here for dinner - I recommend you book on a weekend night as they get quite busy - you can book via the website which is handy :)

When we arrived we stood at the counter for quite a long time while two staff members spoke to each other for about 10-15 minutes - they saw us and continued with their conversation. After they finished one of the staff members took us to our table.

My partner and I ordered a salad each as a starter - I chose the fig, cherry tomato salad with hazelnut dressing. When it came out it was a garden salad and had quite a few things it didn't mention on the menu - carrot, sprouts, normal tomatoes (no cherry tomatoes) - no figs, didn't look like any dressing. I asked the waitress and she got a menu and pointed to the one I ordered saying that is what I had. I told her yes that is the one I ordered but is not this one - it has quite a few different things in it not mentioned on the menu and the two main ingredients figs & cherry tomatoes were not in it. She said she would take it back to the kitchen - she returned with the same salad just topped with some cherry tomatoes and figs. I am pretty sure they got my order wrong and then didn't want to make another salad - it was quite bland and definitely no dressing.

I asked which of their wines were vegan and none of the staff could tell me. They didn't even bother to try to find out. So strange for a vegetarian restaurant - you should really know all your products are sustainable - some wines aren't even vegetarian (fish products) - and they didn't even know that! I was not impressed.

For main I ordered the raw lasagne - it was really tasty but had a lot of cashew cheese - would have been good to have a bit more zucchini to make it a bit lighter, but it was quite delicious :) My partner ordered empanadas (not vegan) and he said they were really good. I also ordered a fresh juice which was pretty good.

Service was quite slow at times - particularly near the start of our meal and the restaurant wasn't busy until much later so wasn't sure why service was so slow?

Overall not a bad meal, the salads could definitely use some flavour and good dressing - my partner's salad was quite bland too. Also staff could be a bit more attentive.

Not sure I would go back - there are plenty of veg restaurants in Barcelona that I would probably rather go to. Not a completely bad experience though.

Pros: Decor & Ambience, Fresh juice, raw lasagne

Cons: Staff don't know of vegan wine, Slow service and inattentive staff, Bland salad

Elegant Dining - Edit

This is a very smart and elegant restaurant but not pretentious in any way whatsoever. We dined here on the last night of 2011 and it was absolutely wonderful. There was a festive atmosphere and a feeling that something special was going to be served. The 3 course menu included a glass of cava and only came to €18.95pp. There were 2 starters of Catalan soup or salad, main course were a choice of spinach filo pastry, Thai style tofu, seitan kebabs or fried Quorn and deserts included vegan carrot cake and a chocolate cake. Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, they made the experience very pleasant indeed and it was a shame to leave before midnight to go to Place de Catalunya to see in the New Year. Do not be put off by the simple name of this place, I just thought it was some kind of basic shop or kitchen but was hugely surprised by the extensive nature of this place. At lunchtimes it is crammed with diners. There are various combination deals starting from €8.45 for soup and main course. You decide what you want and pay appropriately. The salad section is most impressive. Think Pizza Hut salad table. Only joking. The Biocenter salads are in a different league! A highly recommended place at any time of day. Enjoy

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

Ok food - Edit

Visited for an evening meal on 28 October 2014. It was quiet but that was because it was early by spanish standards. Our waiter was helpful. The food was ok. We had tapas to get the authentic feel but it was dull looking and fairly tasteless. Some of the vegetable pasties were undercooked. It reminded me why meat eaters think vegetarian and vegan food is boring because sometimes it is!

Pros: Helpful service, Interesting decorative features

Cons: Food made without love

Don't trust if they say ''raw'' - Edit

I took "raw lasagna" and asked before if all ingredients are really raw, they said "100% raw!". But sorry guys, my body doesn't lie. I'm 100% raw vegan and the next morning I felt that the lasagna was not 100% raw. I think the cashew was not raw because the raw cashew is expensive. The tomato layer in lasagna also was not of the raw taste. So, raw vegans, don't take it, you'll become sick.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 26, 2014

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 26, 2014

Pros: really vegetarian and ''green''

Cons: not raw vegan friendly

Great spot for lunch! - Edit

We loved our lunch here !! It was a buffet for 10 euro that includes unlimited salad bar which had various items, 1 hot item, and dessert! Tons of food for the price ! Stopped here on our walking tour around the city! Nothing fancy about the place itself but great food ! :)

One of my favourite veggie places in the world - Edit

Biocenter might not be the most creative veggie restaurant ever, nor the tastier, but it's definitely one of the best value to be found.
The lunch set (1 dish + all you can eat salad buffet, including eggs and soup, + dessert) for around 10€ Is just plain amazing. Other cheaper options are also available if you have less appetite.
The food is healthy, the location, in the heart of the trendy Raval and 5mn away from the Ramblas, pretty convenient.
Also, the decoration/atmosphere is cosy, and the staff pretty welcoming.

Mostly vegan, good for gluten free - Edit

My girlfriend and I took her non-vegetarian family to this restaurant last night, and everyone loved the food and the experience. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. In addition, our waiter very competently handled my need to avoid gluten. He spoke English well and asked for help when he needed it. We will definitely come here again if we are in the area.

Pros: Food, Value, Ambiance

Disappointing - Edit

Visited with my wife and three large kids. It was disappointing. Okay food. but no more. To small portions and to little menu. Not a place to take children. Not good enough for the price. Many, much better vegan / vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona.

Pros: cozy place, tango in the back room :-)

Cons: small portions, unfriendly staff, not enough value for money

A nice surprise - Edit

Stumbled across this veggie restaurant while wandering the streets near our hostel, and received a very friendly welcome from the staff.

Self-service all-you-can-fit-on-one-plate salad bar with a nice array of fresh salads, pickles, and the best olives I tasted in a long time.
A pity that the cheesy/eggy salads are next to the vegan ones, and there's not enough serving spoons to make sure people don't dip dairy in the vegan salads.

Main course is also collected from a serving hatch. A nice veggie paella and a millet, seaweed and steamed vegetable plate. Like many macro-biotic-inspired dishes, this was improved enourmously with a good sprinkle of salt.

Dessert was a small slice of banana and coconut cake, and a slightly larger slice of carrot cake. Bad luck if you get the last slice of the pie, I guess.

The atmosphere is very friendly, with book shelves and sculptures on the walls. Great for a quick and filling meal at a really good price (9,50€ during the week for 3 courses, 11,50€ on Friday and Saturday)

Pros: Good food, Great price, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: "Contamination" in some vegan salads, Small serving of dessert

great food, pleasant atmosphere, good value - Edit

I had the three course meal - nice soup, a superb mushroom and asparagus risotto and an excellent vegan banana cake. Risotto is not easy, and this was perfect. The cake wasn't the best vegan dessert I've had, but it was good. My husband followed the waiter' s advice and got the seitan burger, which was excellent. The space is big and comfy. Good value for a delicious meal.

Pros: perhaps the best risotto I've had, good service, good value

Cons: none

Pleasantly Surprised Excellent Food - Edit

After reading some of the reviews I was hesitant to come here. Dinner last night was orgasmic! The place was heaving with customers and we didn't have a reservation but they managed us in. The waiter was knowledgeable and efficient. There were two waiters for the entire place and they were working hard. It was a fiesta night and we had the special. Starters of vegan croquettes, fresh salad, the main was a raw lasagna with cashew ricotta that was truly better than sex! The desserts were all wonderful. This is a perfect place for a nice vegan dinner out.

Pros: Quality, Choices, Profe

Best salad I have had for ages... - Edit

When I was a kid we used to go to Pizza Hut and had the option of one trip to the salad bar - you had to pile on the salad in the right order to get the most on (using celery to build a wall around the outside). The Biocenter Restaurant also has the option of a salad bar and I found myself adopting a similar approach - the Salad was excellent and easily four times the variety that poor old Pizza Hut ever offered.

The restaurant offers a four course lunch time menu with self-service for the first three course (soup, salad and main). The soup and bread was also delicious. Also, the beer is very good.

The restaurant is located just off the Ramblas.

We found the waiters helpful with explaining the menu.

Other reviewers have said they didn't like the dessert so I assume they didn't have the chocolate cake - always have the chocolate cake!

Pros: Value for money, Location just off Ramblas

Mixed Review - Edit

There were things about this place that I really liked and things that were pretty bad. The soup and salad were both delicious and vegan. (skip hard boiled egg) They even had nutritional yeast on the salad bar! The entrees weren't so good. We had the vegetable paella and the macrobiotic plate and both were lacking in character. The desserts were equally unimpressive. If you're craving soup and salad, I would recommend it but nothing else was very good. The service was pretty lacking, too. Our server disappeared soon after we got our entrees and the system was a little hard to figure out. The prices were pretty reasonable for the amount of food you get.

Pros: Salad, Soup, Reasonably priced

Cons: Bland entrees, Bad service, Limited vegan options

Awesome - Edit

Very good option in the center of Barcelona. The menu is different for lunch or dinner. Everything I tasted was very good, I specially like how they cook the seitan.

If you go on Friday you will be delighted to see that they are giving tango dance lessons in the same place.

Sometimes is really crowded, you should make a reservation. This also affects the service which could be improved.

Pros: Seitan, Nice vibe, Value

Drinks and cake - Edit

Enjoyed Juice of the day with carrot and tofu cake which was hard to choose from range of delicious looking desserts. My husband had the organic beer. All was good and cost just over 10 euros. Menus for other food also looked good and a fair price.

Relaxed and hearty - Edit

Laid back atmosphere, delicious well made vegan selections. Four course complete, or a la carte, all the food is fresh, tasty, and abundant. The staff was very friendly and helps with questions and servings. We enyoyed it very much.

Pros: Atmosphere, Selections

Oustanding!!!! - Edit

This restaurant was a breath of fresh air! The staff was so welcoming and walked us through the menu. One of the options is the complete meal that includes all you can eat salad bar, main entree, soup of the day, and dessert. The menu was extremely reasonable for the quality of food received. We really enjoyed the patient and gracious staff and the bohemian environment was so much fun! Very easy to find!

Pros: Great food , Reasonable Price, Friendly staff and fun ambiance

nice ambient, but very unkind waitress - Edit

Tasty food, tasty pies... nice ambient and location... but the main waitress was really unkind. She was ignoring us and we didn't know why. We were really nice,polite...normal. Maybe because we were speaking english with her? We ordered and then we had to wait really really long... she was acting like she don't see and here us...And it was visible, that it was on purpose. She was continuosly talking to other people from the staff for a long time, joking... before coming to us (Before bringing us the menu, before bringing us the cups for the tea, before bringing us tea... and so on). We told her that we don't have so much time, but she didn't care at all. At the end he didn't return us the right amount of money... She said that there is an extra tax... Maybe there really was an extra tax, but that is really wierd. On the bill there were presumably two prices and the right one was the smaller...

Pros: Tasty pies

Cons: Unfriendly staff

Very nice but.. - Edit

I enjoyed a lot having dinner there. I had the menu, where I had the vegan option. It was a lot of food, which I loved. Some places think that being vegan means to be on a diet. Not in here. I ate a lot and all was very nice. You can select different vegan desserts.
The salad (1º course) was excellent.
The tofu was very well prepaired.
Moreover the waiter was very nice, the prize was ok and the place is calm and cossy.
My friends had the hamburguers and they were really tasty! I recommend them!

But be careful! The menu is not correct, and the seitan hamburguer is marked as vegan and it is not. You have to ask everything if it is vegan, like in any other restaurant. In this case don't trust the "V" or the ingredients. It may contain not vegan ones.
But the hamburguer without the sauce is very nice!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 08, 2012
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 08, 2012

Pros: vegan option, desserts, quantity

Cons: menu (it is not correct), not so "vegan"

Lovely restaurant and food - Edit

Went during the evening and used the table de hote menu three courses for euros 14.95. The food was excellent. The ambiance was good. I found a problem with bench seating round the sides of the restaurant, which was quite uncomfortable for a tall person and had to move to a chair. Music was a bit loud and too much in the hari krishna mood. But on the whole it was an excellent experience. Very enjoyable.(Aug 2012)

Pros: lovely home cooked food, very nice atmosphere

Cons: Some uncomfortable bench seats, Too much hari krishna music

not for vegans! - Edit

All they had to offer for me as a vegan was their salad buffet. That would have been ok as a starter but not as a lunch meal.

Also canteen feeling.

Being a vegan and vegetarian is not all about eating bio/ecological food.

Pros: quick?, bio/ecological?

Cons: not for vegans, canteen, simple veg food

Excellent meal - Edit

After we had been ripped off by some fastfood place at the Ramblas we decided to go to BioCenter which is very close to the Rambles.
We had the menu, which was very cheap (especially compared to Ramblas prices) and we enjoyed a wonderful meal. Great choice is fruit juices, good wine and 3 courses. All very tasty, well served and friendly staff. If you look for a good vegatarian meal in Barcelona and a nice evening this is the place to go to.

Pros: Menu is cheap, Enough choices, Quiet and friendly

Cons: Can't think of one

Great Deal, Good Food - Edit

BioCenter was clean and friendly, a busy restaurant that was almost full of patrons by 14:00h.

The soup and salad buffet was a great deal, followed by delicious mousaka and a quiche.

For EUR 10 for lunch, it was a great way to rest and fill up for a good meal before we continued on our way.

Pros: Tasty, Clean, Helpful

Cons: English a problem, the A/C

Great salad bar - Edit

This is a self-service place where you take a plate around to a counter where a cook ladles food onto it, then take a bowl to the salad bar, and pick a dessert out of the fridge. The vegetarian version of Sizzler, basically, but more homely. The salad bar was excellent and comprehensive, but the hot food I chose was a little bland and the dessert lacking in vegan options. Having said that, I liked it much better than the other vego places in the area and I'd happily go back for the salad bar alone. It's a very relaxing place where you can sit down and take things at you own pace.

Pros: Great service, Salad bar, Relaxing

Cons: No vegan dessert

Average and a little expensive - Edit

I went there for dinner. They only offered a pre-defined special Christmas menu (it was a few days after Christmas) containing of soup, a main dish, a dessert and a glass of catalan sparkling wine. The selection in each section was very limited (the vegan selection even more so). The menu was a bit below EUR 20,- per person which is quite expensive for BCN but then it really was a lot of food.

The soup was a vegetable soup with snailshell shaped pasta (typically used in catalan cuisine around Christmas) and chickpeas. As a main dish I had rice paper rolls stuffed with spinach and mushrooms. As desert I took the only vegan option: carrot cake with a tofu frosting. It was all good but not overwhelming.

For that price I'd rather have better quality (taste) over quantity (it was too much food).
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 17, 2012

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: rather expensive (dinner), limited choice (dinner)

Highly recommended - Edit

Loved this place, it has a really good restaurant quality offering. Definitely one of the better meals I've had in a place that serves solely vege food. We had a set meal in the afternoon that cost more than I'd usually spend for lunch in a cafe but was still good value. Classic interior that sets it apart from the typical modern cafe style. Easy enough to find.

Pros: good restaurant food, good house wine, good deserts

Decent vegetarian diner - Edit

We went to Biocenter on our first night in Barcelona, because it was close to the ramblas, easy to find and seemed a somewhat healthier option compared to the more fast-food oriented veg places in the city.

The waitress immediatly switched to English when she noticed we weren't local, without us even asking. Service was friendly and extremely fast.

We opted for the menu, which was extremely cheap. There was a choice of soup or salad for the starter. The soup was a basic vegetable soup, the salad had some interesting flavors like sunflower seeds and seaweed (I believe hiziki, but I'm not sure). There were also several options for the main course. I had the spinnach gnocci. It was good, but not very special. My boyfriend had seitan skewers with what he claims to be the best sweet & sour sauce he has ever had (I obviously need to make some of my own recipe for him soon ;-). Desserts weren't special, but tasty no the less. Better than we had expected after having read the reviews on this website. But then again, we are vegetarians, so we had much more options.

The portions were a bit smaller than we would have hoped, but we believe this was because we took the menu of the day. We saw other diners get much bigger main courses. We thought it was reasonable because it was so extremely cheap. And you do get 3 courses, so you wont walk out hungry anyway.

The atmosphere is very cozy, with a lot of romantic corner tables. Nothing like what you would expect with a name like Biocenter.

Pros: good food, friendly and fast service, cheap menu

Cons: small portions (menu del dia)

Delicious - Edit

The food at Biocenter is just delicious. The ample salad bar, and the aily menu that offerings were just great. The room is very comfortable and the staff helpful. It really opens your eyes as to the great vareity of vegetarian choice.

Yum - Edit

We ate at Biocenter twice while in Barcelona. The first time, we found the ordering process to be very confusing. It was during the weekend, when you eat a Menu of the day, which is a soup/salad bar and then a choice of entrees and desserts. We tried to order our entree from the window, were told to give our waitress our order, then we tried to ask the waitress, she told us to order from the window, and so forth. It was all very confusing but we eventually got it sorted out.
The soup & salad were great, as was the entree (seitan with wine sauce). Not many vegan desserts to pick from, but I got a baked apple. Eh.
The next time we went we were able to order a la carte, which we much preferred. My pumpkin croquettes were amazing!
The prices are moderate and the decor is very tasteful.

Biocenter - Edit

We stopped at biocenter on our third day in Barcelona for dinner. I think the food was reasonably good, but quite expensive compared to other places. We paid 53e for 2x a starter, main course and a bottle of wine. I had grilled vegetables as main course which were tasty but the 12,95 was too much in my opinion.

Must say that we might were a bit spoiled after the delicious dinner we had the day before at juicy jones, a great 3 course menu for 8.50e! (Try the dahli of the day!)

Pros: Nice interior, Biological wine

Cons: Expensive

good atmosphere, people and food! - Edit

After a long day walking through barcelona, biocenter was the perfect restaurant to relax. The vegan options are all on the menu, which was really nice and the waiter was very helpful. The interior of the restaurant feels a bit like a nice cozy living room. The food was very quick to come to the table and it was of good quality. Desserts weren't very nice...a cold baked apple and a 'shake' that tasted like nothing. But the organic bottle of red wine we had, was delicious and well priced. I would really recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting Barcelona!

Pros: nice staff, casual, but nice, fast service

Cons: bad dessert, music very soft

Great vegetarian buffet in the middle of the city - Edit

We dropped into this place after a recommendation from the lonely planet guidebook. The restaurant is big and offers a mixed table/buffet lunch from 1pm. Salads, soup and bread are obtained from the buffet. Drinks a main and dessert from the waiter. Highly recommended and very popular.

Pros: Great food, Spacious, Good Service

Love this place! iMe encanta este sitio! - Edit

Best vegan food I've ever eaten! Dinner is better than lunch: at lunch there's buffet with good but not-so-gourmet food and the restaurant is full and noisy, but at evening it's more peaceful, there is table service and the food is excellent.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 30, 2010
(Edit: typo :D)

Pros: Place for a good dinner., Friedly staff., Lovely food.

Average - Edit

Had dinner here, wasn't as good as I had expected. Maybe it was too early (in Spanish standard) and the kitchen wasn't fully ready yet. The choices were limited: only one soup and 3 main courses to choose from. The soup was OK, the salad was a bit watery, and so was the hijiki on the rice main course. My boyfriend's moussaka came out pretty good though. They also have a grocery store just across the street, some nice stuff there, worth checking out.

Pros: location, cozy decor

Cons: small menu

Best place in Barcelona - Edit

We found Biocentre an initial turn-off, outside was small, in a weird area of the city. But frankly looks are deceiving. The food was great, the menu tilted towards whatever they had on that day - so it was thought through on the day.

Food was tasty, and LOTS of it. The best thing, the price - an amazingly low price for Barcelona.

Only downside was the wine - very few choices especially for a glass.

Pros: Great food, Great price

Cons: Wine is lacking, Looks weird from outside

nice place in the center - Edit

A cozy restaurant with interesting paintings & lampshadings, some nice old books in the bookshelf. We went there at lunch time and ate so much starters that we weren't actually able to try the main course anymore. We liked the food, even though it wasn't the best food we've ever had but still good, atmosphere was really nice and especially one of the staff members speaks really good english.

Very good choice near the top of the Rambla - Edit

Down the road by the side of Le Meridien, 200 yards past the first veggie place you come to, an excellent substantial 4-course meal for €15. Staff friendly and speak English, English menu too. I'll be here every night of my stay. As another commented, the health food store opposite isn't worth the trip across the road.

Pros: great food, decent portions, exceptional value

Vegetarian Serendipity - Edit

We stumbled across Biocentre when we were looking for a health food store in the area (over the road). While the HFS was a bit of a wasted trip, we were more than happy with our Biocentre dinner experience. We opted for the set dinner plus one more main dish and found this satisfactory for our hunger and nutrititional needs (2 moderately starving adults). We noticed a contrast of old style vegie cooking (soup and desserts) with more modern salad, several vegan and raw food dishes. The highlights of our dinner included a lovely salad with seaweed, a few dried beans and mustard dressing and a wonderful raw beetroot ravioli with garlic laced greens. The waitress was friendly and accommodated our limited understanding of Spanish. We left Biocentre satisfied and contented with our vegetarian adventure in serendipity.

Pros: vegan options, varied menu

Cons: none

Just one vegan option - Edit

The only vegan option they had was Gnocchi. The two other vegan offers on the menu were sold out. So both of us hat to take Gnochi, a quite simple dish. It tasted great, but it was a small portion quite expensive. (Already thinking of getting a Maoz Falafel while leaving the restaurant.) I think I wouldn't go there again.

Pros: Nice décor, Gnochi are ok

Cons: Only 3 vegan dishes, might be sold out, Expensive and small portions, Staff not really friendly

Clearly the best Vegan Food in Barcelona !!! - Edit

I had all but given up on getting something to eat in Barcelona. I went to nearly EVERY restaurant on Happycow and the food was horrid everywhere. The name BioCenter kind of threw us so we almost ended up not going here. I thought it was a buffet or something weird. It turns out to be fantastic! Its a normal sit down restaurant, very nice, but really reasonable prices. English is spoken. I didn't check to see if the nightly menu soup was vegan we just ordered a la carte and let me tell you... AMAZING! I thought there was no flavor in Spain and here it is! Go for the Gnocchi or the veg burgers and then go back the next night and get the other! We ordered both w/o oil and they were just splendid! They mix them up each night preparing them a little differently with different veggies. There are V's or V.O. on the menu for vegan or vegan option (usually means they drop the cheese) The vegan desserts are just apple sauce and a soy froth, not really worth getting, just drink a beer or glass of wine and enjoy these amazing main dishes mentioned above! btw, in Spain a veg burger is served on a plate w/o bun, etc like a steak. Best in Barcelona I promise if not the best in all Spain, more traveling to do to confirm that statement!

Pros: Gnocchi, Burgers

Cons: dessert

Tasty and Fresh - Edit

After a several days of traveling and we were back in Barcelona we were So happy with our meal at Biocenter. The menu changes daily and the vegan items are marked with a V or VO. On this first visit we had the Seiten with Sobo noddle salad. It was so fresh and tasty. The seiten was a little crispy and hot and the rest of the plate was cold w/ the sobo noddles and fresh veggies including squash and onions.
It was so tasty we decided we'd eat there again the next night after finding that another veg restaurant was closed. This time my meal wasn't as tasty at the first I'll admit. I had Gnocchi which was vegan option. The menu mentioned grilled eggplant and another veggie with it, but mine came only with the Gnocchi in a vegan cream like sauce. Since I don't speak Spanish very well I only had to assume the veggies were cooked w/ butter or something to make them not vegan. Not as good as the night before. My spouse had Tofu w/ Veggie skewers with a peanut sauce and rice and was very pleased. All and all we were very happy so I'll give the highest remarks.

Pros: fresh veggies

Nothing special - Edit

I had supper in this restaurant today and I would characterize it as really average vegetarian meal.Waiter advised that I could take the menu (there's a soup+salad+hot second dish to be chosen from 5 different+desert - drink is not included).I speak very good Spanish and I live here, so I also understood that taking the menu means also fresh prepared and better food.Menu costs 15 Euro.Negative part is that they don't have any natural juices or smoothies.
I had to bring myself salt and olive oil to the table because waiter didn't even thought about it.
The soup was ok but it didn't blew my mind.Then came the salad and I had to send it back because I was eating it with pieces of earth.I could feel the grains between my teeth.I took one of the leafs and I could see it was nearly like picked from the ground a moment ago.I asked the waiter to take it to the kitchen and wash it.I could hear the kitchen staff yelling as probably they didn't get it what "sand" means....Then I got seitan with couscous (I didn't want roasted potatoes and they didn't have rice, so waiter offered that it will be accompanied with couscous)prepared in some kind of onion and garlic mix.It wasn't nasty but it wasn't tasty either.Something I would prepare at the beginning of my vegetarian "career"... To be honest after reading so many nice reviews I expected something more and I'm totally disappointed.I wanted some nice and more classy vegetarian food and I got just slop...

Pros: central location, nice ambient

Cons: average food, unwashed salads, slow and innatentive staff

OK - wasn't too impressed - Edit

This place as confusing... I don't speak spanish...survival spanish at best, but it was nearly impossible to get anyone's attention to even ask how the place works. I knew from reading the other reviews on here, that this is a self-serve style place, but it wasn't clear if we were supposed to tell our waiter what we planning on getting. You have to choose between (i think anyway!) between a set menu of anything you want, to just the salad bar, to just soup, or just dessert. We didn't even see a menu.

The food was okay. Nothing special...basic salad bar fixings. I would try this place again, but perhaps with someone native who could explain it to me!

I didn't get to try the biocenter market across the street as they were closing upon our leaving the restaurant...at 2:15pm

Pros: good value

Cons: confusing

Best Menu De Dia All Day and excellent wines - Edit

Overall:
A restaurant empathising healthy eating and living in the Raval. Ideal for those enjoying good tasting food and wine. The food isn't too nouveau but it is flavoursome and filling.
Going with the all day menu [3 course meal] is good value for money and you won't leave hungry so don't forget to ask.

Ambience:
Excellent for couples and business meetings for those with kosher/ vegetarian/ vegan diets. The wine sets it apart from other biological restaurants.
Low lit in the evenings with candles. The wood decor gives this low/mid range restaurant a good touch of class.

Food and Quality:
Thought is given to presentation of the starters and main meal. We ordered salad with goats cheese and I ordered some pumpkin and leek soup. It was sweet and creamy, although not too hot [contents].
A big portion 2 cm thick cheese arrived with the salad that is an ample starter for two people.
For seconds I ordered the toasted fajita and salad. Although as a main dish I would not have been full, the starter, a shared salad, makes sure the gap in your stomach is filled.
Their organic bread ought to come with the starters. We were not charged for it, possibly as it was a menu meal?

Service:
This is a bit tardy later on in the evening. Most of the serving staff are serving the more tranquil back-end of the restaurant. If you come in from off the street await service at the reception. There's a few magazines to read. however, we ought to have been acknowledged.
We had to remind the staff for bread, oil, salt and pepper for the starters.
The staff had a basic understanding of the dishes but a poor one of the wine. Luckily my dining partner and I know our wine regions.
Later the service was slower and better organisation [or more staff] would have been appropriate.
Change had to be asked for and the bill calculated by the maitre'd..

Conclusion:
Great food, location and atmosphere. service was not bad, but with subtle improvement it would make this restaurant highly competitive.
The organic red wines around the 15 euro per bottle region are worth the investment.
I would recommend this restaurants highly to vegetarians! Great portions and the starters are not stingy. For veges, heath freaks and vegans there's no surprises.

Rating 4/5

Biocentre
C/ Pintor Fortuny 25, 08001 Barcelona
Reservations: 667 042 313
www.restaurantebiocentre.es

Pros: very big portions, excellent wine, excellent location near a bodgea

Cons: slow service, bad reservations

Great experience! - Edit

We ate dinner here and they had a great 4 course menu for 14.95 euros. The gazpacho was not that great, but everything else was delicious. We had the soy burrito (tasted just like chicken... or what I remember of it) and a stuffed vegetable dish. The staff was friendly and helpful and the restaurant had great ambiance.

Pros: Good food, Nice ambiance, Helpful staff

Cons: Gazpacho

Good vegan options - Edit

Nice place with a lively atmosphere. A wide selection for vegans, and nice healthy food.
A good place to go to on the whole, but the buffet always takes something out of the experience, and means that the food is a bit cold.

Pros: Good food, vegan friendly, Atmosphere

Cons: the buffet

great spot! - Edit

This is a great spot. for the paltry price of €8.75 you get a 3 course meal ("menu") during the Comida hours (2-5pm around). A buffet salad/soup for 1st course which can be returned to, then a fine hot dish and finally a desert course. this spot is well worth a visit with great value, vegan options, healthy food and nice atmosphere and surrounds!

Pros: lovely food, great value, healthy

mostly in agreement - Edit

It wasn't cheap but the food was interesting and nutritous. we had a lovely seitan in a white wine sauce and tofu stir fried with ginger. I remember more of a lemon flavour than ginger actually but if you want a nice dinner in an attractive setting I would recommend it. There was also a 2 course set menu for 14 euros which I think is good value.

Pros: friendly, English spoken, elegant, great flavours

Cons: small starters for price

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Biocenter Restaurant Vegetaria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11279 times since Aug 2007.