Bio Solo Organico

Contact 47743880

Humboldt 2192, Palermo Viejo, Buenos Aires, Argentina,

Organic vegetarian restaurant with cottage-style interior located on a tree-lined street off the main drag of town, moved here in 2012. Menu is also in English. Lunch for one costs around $100+ pesos. Mon-Sun 10:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Argentinian

First Review by button

My dish was so so - but others food looked great - Edit

I visited Bio in July 2016 whilst exploring the Palermo area of BA.

I found it a little odd that you needed to press a buzzer to enter, though it's not really a big issue.

As I'm a fan of seitan/gluten products, I ordered the gluten steak dish, which was served with an optional cheese sauce and some limp greens. I've grown up eating gluten steaks, and so I guess I have pretty high standards, and this simply didn't cut it. It was thin and too rubbery for my liking, and the batter just kinda fell off it into the sauce. The greens were more token than anything, and it would have been much better to have been given a proper salad. It is after all a veggie place.

The bread that was served at the start was really nice.

Service was friendly, but a little slow. Having said that, it was prime time lunch time, and they were busy.

I did admire plates of food on other tables and wished that I had ordered something else.

So in short, whilst my meal was disappointing, I would definitely give this place a second chance as the food on other people's plates, which I had unfortunately not ordered, looked great!

Pros: Other people's food looked nice

Cons: My dish wasn't very tasty

Excelente - Edit

Fui a almorzar a Bio y lo pase muy bien. Pedí un tofu a la mostaza con arroz yamaní y fue verdaderamente genial. La porción es abundante y la atención diez puntos. Me pareció bien la relación precio-calidad. Además venden productos orgánicos! Lo único que podría mejorar es el lugar, ampliarlo ya que es chico y se llena bastante rápido. Volveré! Buenas vibras :)

Pros: Porción abundante y de calidad, atención y ubicaci

Cons: Espacio pequeño.

Ask for the rice vegan empanadas - Edit

Several vegan options and some gluten free too. If you visit here, try the rice vegan empanadas (enpanadas de arroz veganas). The Green leafs one are ok, but the squash or onions are amazing!

Really good food in good atmosphere at Bio - Edit

We had a delicious meal at Bio, particularly the raw soup that was incredible! Zingingly fresh and tasty, and so healthy. Lovely chilled atmosphere, and live music was advertised for the following evening...

Pros: Raw food, Good wine, Lovely atmosphere, sometimes hosting live music

Friendly & cozy atmosphere with great organic food - Edit

Fresh home made vegetarian food with plenty of vegan options. The mushroom rice dish was my fav and the hummus. I'd go back just for the cozy and warm atmosphere.

Delicious Food - Edit

Good, interesting vegetarian food with some vegan options. They always have a special for dinner. The pizza con arroz yamani crocante con chop suey de vegetables is one of the best vegetarian pizzas I've ever had. Really good organic wine. Friendly service

yummy - Edit

Discovered this place by pure hazard, wandering around. Bumped there in the peak evening's hour, the place was almost full and the atmosphere very pleasant.

As a starter they served me homemade whole grain bread (still warm from the oven) and a delicious vegan creamy spread. I had the day's special pumpkin soup and it was surprizingly yummy, spicy and super tasty. The menu is full of interesting proposals including some crazy sounding desserts and drinks. The prices are on the steep side but I'd say they are worth it.

Muy buena calidad pero demasiado caro - Edit

Los platos son buenísimos, pero la verdad que demasiado caro para lo que son. No llenan para nada y salen entre 70 y 80 pesos argentinos. La pizza cruda con queso de castañas de cajú, por ejemplo, prometía ser un plato principal pero eran dos pedacitos míseros delgaditos que no llenaban ni a un niño. La torta cruda con baño de frambuesas de postre sí estaba perfecta.

Da la sensación que ese restaurant es para un público de alto poder adquisitivo que come vegano por moda, más que para veganos de verdad.

Pros: Muy rica comida, Lindo ambiente

Cons: Demasiado caro, Porciones muy chicas

Intimate all-organic and vegetarian - Edit

Bio is a small and welcoming restaurant with room for maybe 30 inside and several tables outside on the sidewalk if the weather is nice. It's all-organic and all-vegetarian, they do have dairy cheese and ice cream but also have a few dishes with vegan cheese and ice cream alternatives. About 60-70% of the whole menu is or can be made vegan so there are plenty of choices. They also have about 10 raw dishes so if you're looking for high-quality food in Buenos Aires, this is an excellent resource. In addition to their main purpose as a restaurant, they also have some organic food products for sale as well as cooking classes and do catering. The menu is in Spanish and English and I believe some of the staff speak English.

It is a hard area to park on the street in, they do offer validation for one hour at one parking lot so if you're planning to pay for parking check which lot first. They accept reservations and I recommend calling ahead if going at a popular time like weekend dinner as the place is fairly small and does fill up.

In the evening, they light candles and it's a fun environment; I've seen a number of birthday dinners there. When you're seated, they'll bring you bread and a (vegan) spread complimentary starter. I recommend the rice empanadas which get a tiny bit crunchy and were excellent -- the filling varies but I believe is always vegan. In my experience all the dishes are good and filling but a few seem to be rather salty so ask if you're sensitive to that. Be sure to save room for dessert! They also have a limited wine and beer selection and even a few vodka drinks, as well as natural fruit juices. I haven't been for breakfast or lunch but they do have offerings for all times of day.

Recommended!!

Pros: Healthy, Lots of choices, Positive environment

Cons: Not so easy to get there/park, Might require reservation

Wonderful surprise in the city of parrillas! - Edit

This is a must go place if you are vegetarian/vegan and in Buenos Aires! Amazing food, lots of options, big plates, good prices! Few vegan options, but they are flexible with modificiations, and willing to help you! The desserts are simply amazing!!!! Wonderful red berries icecream, unbelievable! I would definitely go there next time we are in Buenos Aires!

Pros: Great location, Amazing food, Wonderful desserts

Cons: Not many vegan options, Some itens on the menu not avaliable

Beautiful place! - Edit

The place looks beautiful, the service is awesome, the atmosphere is comfortable, tasty food, creative and healthy dishes with beautiful presentation.

The cooks put too much attention on their stunning looking dishes, but they forget that the food is suppose to be eaten and not just looked at. My boyfriend and I struggled trying to eat the food - though it tasted really good, it was really difficult to cut and eat because of its fancy decor, so I made a mess of my plate.

We ordered the Gluten Free Vegan Pizza - The crust was so hard that not even a steak knife could puncture it.
Also the Raw Temaki, which was difficult to eat without destroying the whole thing.

The ginger lemonade was lovely!

Pros: Good atmosphere, Excellent service, Creative and tasty menus

Cons: Difficult to eat without making a mess

tasteless burger - Edit

I was here in may & was disappointed with burger, not sure if it was lentil or quinoa but it was tasteless. I was disappointed as review were great. Could do with more spice or flavour. Nice restaurant&staff

Pros: healthy food, vegan friendly, nice staff

Cons: needs more flavour

excellent food in a great neighborhood - Edit

After a week in Argentina trying to find something vegan to eat (which basically meant tomato sauce over pasta) I was thrilled with Bio. They do really interesting things with spices and with vegan protein substitutes (my seitan had a lovely, soft texture I hadn't experienced before). The service was excellent also and the full table of people I was with (mostly meat eaters) raved about the restaurant as well. I'm not surprised that Bio offers cooking classes and that people take them because the food clearly benefits from knowing experimentation.

Pros: excellent food, lovely atmosphere, in the great neighborhood of Palermo

Cons: none!

Really good food - Edit

Not many places like this in Buenos Aires... very healthy, menu changes often. Ginger lemonade is amazing! The place is really cute too. Only complaint is that the service is sometimes a bit slow.

Pros: Excellent Food, Lots of variety, Different flavors for Argentines

Cons: Slow

great food & even better service! - Edit

I had the quinoa and sweet potato starter which could have easily fed two or done as a main. Lovely crisp salad to compliment. My friend had the millet schnitzel with wok style veggies, also a good size and delicious. These were eased down with some tasty chai and a mixed juice. Fresh! We couldn't resist the raw chocolate cake, shared for desert, scrumptious! The location was lovely, we sat outside on the street and the service was attentive and efficient. The lovely waiter even found googled the address of the closet homeopathic store so I could get some things. Very much went the extra mile ;)

They moved right in front - Edit

I am leaving below the comment I did a while ago. I used to love this place. They now moved, right in front and when we went there to eat the kitchen staff was different, the place was not ready at all and the prices had gone way up! The food was ok, but not at all for what we were charged. First get your place ready, then make sure your new chef is awesome and theeeen raise the prices! Maybe it has improved but I am not taking the chance to go there again.

We had a great dinner and lovely time. The place is nice, the people that work there were very nice... and the food was AMAZING. It has lots of vegan options and they are marked with a little leaf on the menu (so you don't have to ask 20 times if something has animal derived ingredients), there are options for celiacs (marked on the menu too) and MANY RAW OPTIONS! The Raw Soup was specially powerful. Yummy juices. And you can buy cookies, sweets, bread, tea, etc. Everything's organic.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 24, 2011

Pros: Vegan-Celiac-Raw options

Cons: EXPENSIVE

Good food after a few days bad - Edit

A pleasant surprise, lives up to its website and the Happy Cow description. Nice staff, a great local crowd, and the food was basic and good. Worth the trip up from Retiro or wherever if you want to give you body a much needed rest from the classic BA restaurant fare. My daughter slept in the shade while we ate.

Pros: Food w good portions, tree lined location, interesting locals

Awesome! - Edit

Even though I had tons of great dining experiences during my trip to Buenos Aires, this was the best. The space is beautiful and the staff were super friendly. I loved the raw soup and chocolate cake. The cooks in back were talking to us too and let us taste their mate. We got delicious bread with sunflower seed spread for the table and a taste of their home made lemonade at no charge. I would love to go back here.

Pros: Service, Beautiful Space, Incredible food

Cons: Somewhat questionable location

Lovely place - Edit

This is the first vegetarian restaurant I've been in BA.
The food is great with many vegan options. Big portions and nice presentation.
Amazing homemade bread and fun juices.

Pros: many vegan options, very nice place, organic

Cons: a bit expensive

Worth a try! - Edit

First of all, location gets no stars although because it's in Palermo Hollywood, you have to walk all the way down Juan b justo to get there and that's a very very unsafe walk. Take a cab.
That being said, it's really good! Very creative salads and we also tried the seitan green curry. Recommended.
They also have a nice selection of teas and creative drinks. Great vibe too.

Pros: Very unique, Inside and outside dining

Cons: Location

Bio, Buenos Aires - Edit

I had dinner here last night. It claims to be all organic. The menu has vegan items clearly marked. Most of the items are listed on the menu in English as well as in Spanish. This helps as the lady who served me doesn't speak English and my Spanish still has a long way to improve.

The starter I had was pumpkin soup. It was pleasant enough but there's a lot of great pumpkin soup in the world and this wasn't in the top league. The main course I had was a seitan curry. It was a little bland but being honest it was probably a poor choice on my part as I don't think Ive ever had a decent curry in a non Indian or Thai resturant.

Both these together came to 87 pesos which to me feels pricey and didn't seem like good value.

Pros: Vegan items marked on the menu

Cons: Pricey

PASS! - Edit

We went to Bio 5 times and the food was decent (until last time) but the service was almost always horrendous! Totally unacceptable for what they are charging to eat there! The only time we got decent service, an older woman (assumedly the owner) yelled orders at the kitchen from across the entire dining room. The ginger lemonade is generally quite good, although the quality & ginger content varies daily. The citrus vinaigrette salad dressing WAS delicious, but last time they replaced it with some atrocity that tasted like sweatsocks! I think they accidentally switched it w/ the ceasar dressing from the salad special of they day (as parmesan often smells like feet to me), but the server insisted it was the citrus dressing, so I now do NOT recommend it. My soup was a flavorless puree reminiscent of baby food. The main courses provide ample servings of vegan protein (i.e. mustard tofu, seitan asado) and are well prepared and nicely plated, but beware: the servers don't seem to understand the difference between vegan & vegetarian (and yes, we told them in Spanish)!! There are icons indicating that plates can be made vegan, but twice we had to communicate directly with the chef in order to get the proper modifications. I really wanted to like Bio, especially for lack of better options (insofar as decent sized servings of vegan protein go) but after the last time, we will not go back. Oh, did I also mention it's expensive?? We spent $37USD on my meal alone!

Pros: vegan protein, nice plating, decent food

Cons: terrible service, expensive, quality varies daily

Meh - Edit

First and foremost, I was DYING to eat at a tip top veg spot here in BA because I hadn't consumed a proper meal in two weeks and had been looking forward to Bio ever since I arrived. That being said, our meal was good but by no means exceptional. I started with the raw soup which was enjoyable but rather modest in size considering the price (21 pesos, $5USD). The ginger juice is rather peculiar as it reminded me quite a bit of gatorade... imagine a mildly gingery gatorade.. that's what it tasted like. Nothing terribly amazing and once again, pricey (30 pesos, $7.50USD). My main course was the quinoa risotto which had a rather nice flavor but there simply wasn't much to it nor was it inexpensive (44 pesos, $11USD). Some friends of mine tried the miso soup and said it was excellent. They also had the seitan curry which seemed to impress (keep in mind they're all meat eaters who had never visited a veg restaurant before thus held low expectations) however I've had much more complex and creative dishes. Again, it was by no means bad, it just wasn't memorable. We finished the evening with a brownie as well as some ginger ice cream. While the ice cream was lovely, the brownie was dry and flavorless not to mention a bit pricey. It's hard to imagine mucking up such a straight forward dessert. To be frank, I've had far more impressive meals at far less distinguished restaurants in both the states as well as Europe and they cost less this. Each meal was 100 pesos, or $25USD.

The service was hardly attentive nor was anyone terribly warm to us. When the bill came at the end they presented us with the wrong one, then overcharged us on the correct one. Also please note that only about half the menu is in English making it difficult to distinguish what is what. All in all I left disappointed and would not return. If it weren't so pricey I would be more inclined to let it slide but they seem to run on a platform of upscale vegetarian dining. This is hardly the case. While the presentation of the dishes was flattering, appearances are rather deceiving at Bio. Pass.

Three stars for food, two stars for everything else.

Pros: soups, neighborhood

Cons: expensive & small portions, forgettable food, poor service

Worth a visit - Edit

Very friendly staff and good food at this restaurant with a great location in Palermo. We had two seitan-based dishes and they were both good and very nicely presented. Vegan-friendly as everything is clearly marked in the menu. Certainly worth a visit.

Bio sweet place in a green corner - Edit

The Three of us went there on our First night in ba. Had a soup, empanadas and a pizza of which the Base was made of Rice. All 3 very delicious. For the Main we had the Mustard tofu and seitan with veggies. All good too.
Friendly servers and most of the things on the menu are available vegan too if they are not already. As for dessert we had tort a fria raw. The base was made of almonds and there was raspberry sauce with it. Actually the boys loved it, as for me I didn't like it too much because there was shredded lime or orange peel in the base, which was pretty strong in flavour. Apart from that it was good.
Good atmosphere, comfy place, prices I guess are standard for organic restaurant in this area.

Best place for a vegan in Buenos Aires! - Edit

Went here twice for dinner. The first time was fantastic. My friend ordered the curry fresco seitan, which was amazing. I got the seitan asado, which was not what I though it would be. It was good, but it was just a few thin slices of seitan with a ridiculous amount of squash. The dish needed something else, as I found myself still hungry yet tired of eating the delicious squash by the end. The second time, I decided to order the curry fresco seitan my friend had previously ordered. Unfortunately, it arrived rather hastily prepared and was nothing like the same dish we had received a week prior. Still, I would go back to Bio in a heartbeat because they're so vegan-friendly. It is good, not great.

Pros: vegan-friendly

Cons: quality varies

friendly staff & decor - Edit

We're spoiled coming from NYC, so keep that in mind when reading this review. The atmosphere was friendly, as was the English-speaking staff, but we found the food to be hit or miss. The carrot spread on brown bread is tasty, as were the fresh juices, and the entrees (curry seitan and spicy seitan) were quite edible, but the appetizers and dessert were lacking. The bruschetta could've had more flavor, the empanada was too salty, while the brownie dessert with rasperries had a slightly bitter taste. I bet there are other apps and desserts that are better. I'd be willing to come back and try other apps and desserts, especially given the limited options in this carno-centric culture.

Pros: friendly staff, nice decor , good entrees

Cons: poor appetizers, blah dessert, tiny bathroom

decent food, large portions, nice atmosphere - Edit

This is a really cute cafe a few blocks from the best place to go at night in BA. The food was okay, similar to what you might find at an average organic veggie place in a US city. I had the seitan picante con plantanos (spicy seitan with plantains (though they weren't plantains, but sweet potatoes)). The seitan was prepared in a savory brown sauce and the sweet potatoes were steamed (I think) and served with sesame seeds. Skip the cocao shake, unless you eat honey. Go for the brownie. It's dry, but pretty delicious (and huge!).

Not really "gourmet," but a decent place to eat in a city where most menus don't have many vegan options.

Pros: location, atmosphere, clearly marked vegan items

Cons: average food, ambivalent staff

Nice ambiance, good food, okay prices - Edit

In January 2009, I ate here with a group of friends and we all had a good experience. Our waitress spoke great English and was very nice. When we first sat down, she brought us ginger lemonade shots and homemade bread with carrot dip.

We ordered the seitan curry and rice balls, Fungi Bahia (variety of fresh and dried mushrooms prepared in a wok, with chilies, coconut milk and jasmine rice) and a quiona salad. The restaurant was almost full and our meals came out of the kitchen much faster than we expected (15 minutes or less). We were all happy with the food.

The menu is mostly in Spanish with some items described in English. There didn't appear to be a lot of vegan dishes but the waitress explained most items are prepared when ordered and they always try to accommodate vegans.

Each cost 35 pesos and there was a 6 pesos seating fee for per person. The seating fee is something were not used to as Canadians and we found that kind of annoying.

You may end up paying a bit more here than you will at some other veggie restaurants in BA but the ambiance is nice and the food is good. It is a good restaurant for a date night.

On Monday nights, they have a special menu and you have to make reservations in advance.

Pros: good food, nice ambiance, english menu

Cons: 6 peso seating fee, expensive for BA veggie food

vegan stroganoff! - Edit

the seitan stroganoff and other picante seitan dish were amazing! looks like lots of good options for vegans in a very meat-centric country. we got a bottle of the Quatro Gordo Vacas wine which was terrible. not sure about the other vinos.

Pros: great seitan, excellent other food

Cons: basic wine not good

Excellent gourmet vegetarian restaurant - Edit

We ate here twice on a recent trip to Buenos Aires back in October, 2008. It was located on the other side of town from where we were staying, but worth the effort to return to for lunch. Their food is more like gourmet vegetarian. I had quinoa (I think it was with pumpkin and goat cheese) here for the first time ever and thoroughly enjoyed it. This wasn't a cheap restaurant, but a good vegetarian restaurant is hard to find in meat-loving Buenos Aires.

Pros: high quality food, gourmet, organic

Cons: not cheap

Seriously over-hyped - Edit

There's lots of vegetarian food in Buenos Aires: pizza and pasta abound. My party of five headed for Bio -- a trek from our Centro digs -- hoping for a break from the usual fare.

Where do I begin? The desultory greeting was offputting, but not a deal killer. Since only one of us speaks Spanish, the bilingual menu was a plus. The ginger lemonade and olive tapenade, both nice.

A number of items on the menu were not available. Okay. We ordered, and the wait began. After some time, one dinner arrived. About five minutes later, the two tofu dinners showed up. I normally would not patronize a restaurant that brought everyone's food at a different time, but what happened next was even more outrageous: the server came over and asked the other two members of our party what they had ordered! As you can imagine, we had rather a long wait before all the dishes arrived.

The portions are small, and the hungrier members of our group were not thrilled about that. The much-praised tofu was ridiculously bland and we had to ask for salt (something I normally don't do). The salt cellar was cute but filled with a lot of unidentified crud as well as salt.

I don't like having serving people hover over me, but service was casual to the point that we felt ignored. We had to ask to have water refilled, and then were charged for four bottled waters we had neither ordered nor received.

The bill worked out to about $15/person U.S. -- not bad for a meal at home, but high for Buenos Aires. And I'd give the food a B-. The presentation is lovely, but it looks a lot better than it tastes.

On our way down Humboldt after dinner, we passed a couple of much livelier restaurants around the 2300 block. As we walked back to Santa Fe, we could not help but wish we'd chosen one of them instead of Bio.

Pros: lemon ginger drink, bilingual menu, variety of choices

Cons: poor service, bland food, high prices

best we went to - Edit

This was the best veg restaurant we went to in Buenos Aires. The staff spoke some English and the menu was in English and Spanish. It was easy to tell what was vegan.

Pros: great food, nice enviromnet, friendly staff

Very good meal - Edit

Very creative vegetarian cooking. I had a hearty pumpkin soup, a tofu schnitzel, a pear juice, and a desert (can't remember, it was a while ago) with coffee. Came to about 40 pesos.

Was packed when I was there.

In a good area to explore many boutique shops.

Pros: creativity, friendly

Cons: busy

Good spot, good food - Edit

The food here is good. I had a tofu dish and it was a good option. The majority of the people in the restaurant were speaking English and they do have menus in English. Waitress was friendly. You'll have to knock on the door to get into the place (at least when I was there) as they lock them up - this is the case with many restaurants in B.A.

Pros: healthy, friendly staff

2 Responses

Good But Pricey - Edit

My girlfriend and I went here just last night. We ordered Curry Seitan, risotto with goat cheese, and flan. The seitan was pretty good, though there wasn't enough to satisfy. And the vegetables were copious and delicately spiced, something I appreciated. The risotto was by the far the best thing we ate: its flavor was strong and complex. Unfortunately, it wasn't until halfway through that we realized there was goat cheese in it. The flan was fantastic: filled with coconut flakes and accompanied with dulce de leche. All things considered: we liked the food but our it was too pricey for our tastes. Our bill included a 8 peso fee for table service, which is complete [censored], by the way. But if you're just visiting for a week or so, $35 for a dinner for 2 isn't terrible.

Pros: Flan, Seitan Curry, Friendly Waitress

Cons: Too much cheese, Fees for "table service"

So-So Bio - Edit

While it was great to find a vegetarian restaurant in BA, we were a bit disappointed with the food. Empanadas were dry and tastless, and our main dishes were adequate but uninspiring. Atmosphere is a bit dreary.

Pros: Healthy food, good selection

Cons: Food quality

Good Menu Options - Edit

They have a varied menu, from whole wheat empanadas to pizzas to asian dishes to burritos. I ordered the hamburger, which was a strange presentation (no bun, just a burger with cheese on top, a dollop of pureed squash and a handful of romaine leaves with a tasteless dressing). The tofu empanada was delicious, the Bio Juice was OK (orange juice with too much sugar and a nice touch of ginger). We also had the burrito which came with a nice spicy sauce. I'd return to try more off the menu, but it was a little pricey (mains $20 AR) but the staff is nice and the atmosphere is great.

Pros: protein, variety, quiet

Cons: expensive, location

Nice place - Edit

Bio is a good option in carnivore Buenos Aires. The food was good not excellent, with entrees tasty but not very balanced (for a veggie place... I felt I was not getting enough veggies)the service attentive. A good place to go with friends.

Not bad - Edit

Bio was a nice reprieve in meaty B.A. I had the seitan curry, which was delicious. The atmosphre is nice and the service is laid back.

Pros: atmosphere, rpice

Cons: food only so-so

Nice restaurant in Palermo Hollywood - Edit

This is a nice vege restuarant with good wholesome food and service, which is a relief to find in Buenos Aires. The atmosphere is homey and comfortable. It is easy to access from Palermo station (about 10mins walk) and is located in the popular night area of Palermo Hollywood. A meal costs about 35 pesos. The menu is also in English.

Pros: Wholesome food, Friendly service

Great! - Edit

Delicious food, great menu, lot's of vegan options. Almost all the dishes can be made vegan. They have fresh juice. Cute cottage style decor, and outdoor seating too. Staff was very good and spoke english. They have english menus as well. (Cross street is Costa Rica)

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Great atmpsphere, Tasty food

Return to Buenos Aires Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bio Solo Organico closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4446 times since Aug 2007.