Bio

Contact 218122848

Rua Francisco Sanches 39, Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal, 1170-141

Restaurante vegetariano, small with a few tables for seating. Your choice of main dishes, on a large or small plate, along with brown rice and salad. Has cakes. Vegans to specify, and the kitchen will accommodate. Russian spoken.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Portuguese

First Review by Dharam

A Nice Surprise! - Edit

In my quest to discover and taste all the veggie restaurants in Lisbon I can find, this one was on my list!

It took us some time to find it, just because we weren't familiar with that particular area, and when we got there it was full. We had to wait for a while, but we loved it!

There were some vegan options, the food was quite good and the service was good as well.

I recommend it.

Pros: Vegan Options, Tasty food, Nice vibe

Better for Veggies, not Vegans - Edit

The good things about Bio is that they served us food very quickly and were helpful when telling me which options were vegan (as they're not pointed out on the menu) and they were very affordable. Unfortunately, the food was kind of bland, but for the price, we were not expecting anything outstanding anyway.

They could improve by having more vegan options, as the vegetarian options could have easily been made vegan with a couple of adjustments but I don't think that is possible because I think everything is already prepared.

Pros: helpful staff, quick service, inexpensive

Cons: bland food, needs more vegan options

Great food - Edit

This restaurant has one of the greatest price-quality relationships in Lisbon. Super affordable, the food is really well cooked and it has around six different dish options every day - with two or three of them being vegan. The side dishes, salad and brown rice, are always the same and always delicious. I don't recommend the desserts, but I do recommend their homemade juices.

Pros: Various options, Delicious food

Cons: Dishes don't vary much from day to day

Nice small vegetarian / vegan friendly restaurant - Edit

Small restaurant with a cozy atmosphere and friendly staff.
The food is well prepared and they are able to accomodate vegan dishes if requested.
The menu is composed of four to six options, which you can combine in small, medium or large plates, depending on your appetite.
Desserts and fresh juices are also available.

Pros: Price range, Dish combination, Friendly staff

Cons: Not vegan, mostly ovo-lacto, Small space, just a few tables

The best quality/price in Lisbon - Edit

Since I've discovered this little gem, I always go there when I'm in Lisbon and need a veggie meal.
It's a tiny place and sometimes we need to wait a lot to get a place, but I avoid that by being there at noon whenever I can and eat before everyone else starts arriving.
The food is delicious and the mini dish is more than enough to make one full. Their cakes are just divine, although they are not vegan. Sometimes I open an exception to my non-dairy diet when I eat there, their cakes are just too good...
I wish they had more vegan recipes and that's my only complaint.

Pros: delicious, quick to serve, cheap

Cons: small place, lot of dairy on their recipes

Happy in the rain - Edit

Popped here for a quick lunch on one of those strange intensely sunny and yet rainy September Lisbon afternoons to find a friendly place offering a nice selection of filling meals. Plenty of outdoor seating with room for around 24 tightly packed diners inside. They have around 5 available main dishes of which at least 2 are, or can be vegan. They may also have additional dishes not specified on the menu which can also be served if requested. You can pick one main meal or a combination of 2 or 3 smaller portions served with a salad ranging in price from €5 to €7.50 for the 3 dish combo. Today we had the lasagne and aubergine stuffed with mushrooms (which can be vegan without the yoghurt topping) on plate 1. On plate 2 shredded carrot and tofu and soya meatballs (which can also be vegan if served without the sauce). All four were of a good standard and very filling. To finish I tried the apple and summer fruit crumble which really was very appetising indeed. Sparkling water to rehydrate and an espresso to finish off made this a most enjoyable lunch. I would not perhaps choose Bio as an evening dining venue but that's only because In Lisbon there are many glorious vegetarian dining experiences to be had closer to the city centre.

Pros: cheap, friendly, good choice

Cons: small, quite basic inside

A delightful discovery - Edit

Tasty, good quality food. Everyday there's a new menu and the prices are always the same. There's various meal sizes that you can choose. The staff is very nice and when the weather is good (almost all year, in Lisbon) you can eat outside.
Bring your non-vegetarian friends here! They'll love it!

Pros: inexpensive, delicious, excellent food, friendly and helpful staff

Popular place! - Edit

"Hurrah, there's a table," said someone arriving at 8.30pm on a Tuesday! Yes, there were nearly 24 diners by 8pm and it was full by 8.15 - not bad considering it only opens at 7.30. It's popular for its reasonable prices, big portions, and tasty choices. There were five regular choices and a special of the day, and you could have various combinations. We chose to have small plates with two choices (and flavourful rice and a well-dressed salad), €6.50 each. So with a generous glass of house wine and a cake each, we paid less than €21 for two. Our waiter spoke good English and described the interesting dishes such as seitan in a creamy coffee sauce, or tofu grated and mixed with carrot.

Pros: Flavours, Choice, Low price

Cons: Not the best area to walk in at night

nice place! - Edit

Very good restaurent with positive energy. Nice stuff and food. The portions are really very big comparing with the prices. I had one dish, a cup of homemade juice and an apple cake (fpr vegans) only for 10 EU.

Pros: big portions, good price, good location

Great Price for Service! - Edit

It's a cozy and small like traditional portuguese restaurants but it's Vegetarian! :)

The servings are very big, even in the mini version, and for a low price.

It's Vegan friendly but please ask if it's Vegan before choosing your meal, they use cow's milk and dairy.

No dessert was Vegan when I visited so please be aware of this.

Pros: Cozy, Cheap, Tasty food

Cons: Menu doesn't identifies Vegan food, Too small for weekends flow, Localization

very good! - Edit

I realy liked this restaurant - I ate there almost every evening during the week i stayed in Lisbon. staff is very nice and efficient, they explained everything and once they couldn't explain in English they just brought an example from the kitchen. Everything was delicious and inexpensive - for about 7 euro you get a huge mix plate. They always had few vegan options. The atmosphere is nice even though the place is small.

Pros: good food, nice staff, very cheap

One of the best - Edit

This is one of my favourite places in Lisbon - the food is always tasty, the staff are pleasant, and it's really good value.
They have a system with 4 or so main courses each day, and you choose to get a small or large plate, with a combination of these dishes. If they're short on vegan options, they do adapt. All dishes are served with brown rice and the most amazing cabbage salad (my boyfriend loves it and he usually hates cabbage!) on the side. The cakes and home-made desserts aren't vegan but are loved by those who eat them. You can get soya desserts instead (Provamel type things) or fresh fruit. Don't forget to try their fresh juice (a mix of carrot, apple and something else...).
The restaurant is only small so does get busy at peak times - try and get their early before the Portuguese eat and you'll be fine, otherwise expect to wait a bit.

Pros: tasty food, great value, friendly staff

Ok food that suits vegans - Edit

The place is very small with only few tables. The menu has only handful of options but they could be made vegan. They used mostly seitan. Food is very simple home cooking style. The waiter didn't speak much English but tried his best. The location is sub-urban. Prices are low to reflect the location.

Pros: Service, Price

Cons: Menu options, Location

Hide, simple and perfect - Edit

This restaurant its very simple with a typical portuguese decoration of the traditional coffes but with vegetarian things.The prices are great and you can choose between a big plate or a small one.Also you can eat all the dishes in the menu in one plate, they separe it in the plate with small portions.They change a lot the menu and its always great.
Been there once at lunch and two at dinner.The second it was full.You dont wait a lot for your food.
If this restaurant was close to my work i defenitly would go there a lot.

Pros: Food, Price

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5864 times since Apr 2008.