Bio Carioca

+55-2122364125

Rua Xavier da Silveira, 28 (at Copacabana), Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 22060010

Natural food restaurant offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free food. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Pizza, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Brazilian

First Review by jcjames11

Big selection including many vegan items - Edit

The selection is really the best part of this particular restaurant. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth with so few vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Rio de Janeiro, but unfortunately the food was quite bland. The sandwich I ordered was inoffensive, but it wasn't especially cheap and not worth going out of your way for.

I'll try something different next time I'm there (no doubt I'll be back with the smallish vegan selection in Rio), and I may change my review after trying something else.

One of the best.. - Edit

Best vegetarian food in Rio!!

Nice Vegetarian place - Edit

Had late lunch at Bio Carioca, a Vegetarian place near Copacabana beach.Bit expensive but good food. Ask for menu in English.

Pros: Good Ambience, Close to Beach, Good Food

Cons: Expensive

Fantastic food, huge selection, daily specials, English menus available - Edit

Great vegan / vegetarian café. Lots of seating and a huge selection of food in comparison to most places. Beers and wines also served.

Pros: Huge selection, Daily specials , Large seated area

Cons: Most staff do not speak English so can cause some , Very popular so some items run out fast

an oasis in Copacabana - Edit

one of my favorite restaurants in Rio. good food, different mains every day with extraordinary cakes and delicious juices. the service is mediocre, this is Rio don't expect that much.
a small oasis on Copacabana.

Delicious with many choices - Edit

The menu was huge, but the plates quite small. Order a side salad if you are hungry! Everything I tasted was excellent and I recommend the feijoada, the classic meat meal in brazil, made vegan. They have many types of desserts, but unfortunately everything is not vegan. A plus is that they have marked clearly in their menu which meals contains lakto-products and egg. Enjoy!

Shanti shanti shanti

Do they know what vegan means? - Edit

The food is good, a little expensive, though. I was just upset because I ordered a vegan meal and it came with a side salad with honey mustard dressing and cheese....
Good caipirinhas!

Pros: good drinks, good food, gluten free options

Cons: service, price

Great vegan option in Copacabana - Edit

They have a lot of vegan options, and on the menu (you can ask for the english version) they specify if the dish is vegan or vegetarian.

The attention is normal but fast.

The food is delicious.

This was the first place that we came with my boyfriend in Rio, and we were totally thankful with this little bio paradise. Please, you have to taste the vegan feijoada!

Pros: Good food, Very clear

Cons: The staff, A little uncomfortable

I recommend! - Edit

I like because is delicious, cheap and there is a lot of options.
Actually there is aonther one in Shopping Downtown/Barra da Tijuca

Good Food, service is ok - Edit

I went there for dinner with my girlfriend. The waiter did not give us much attention, maybe he was just having a bad day.

We had to ask him to come back to our table several times, because we had questions about the menu.

The food was pretty good, though. I ordered a mushroom omelette and my girlfriend had a mushroom bifum (rice spaghetti). They where both excellent, and well served.

Dinner for two with beverages was R$90 (about 35 U$D).

If you're around Copacabana near Ipanema and Arpoador, I recommend the place.

Pros: Nice Vibe, Good Food, Well Served

Cons: Service is just OK

Pretty Good In Copacabana! - Edit

Liked this place. Very small in area with lots of seating (crammed a little) but a nice atmosphere. Food was great and clearly labeled vegan, gluten free, and just veg. I ordered a vegan item and they brought me cheese on the side, which always bothers me. Food was good though.

Delicious lunch in a nice setting - Edit

We were in copa today at the beach so headed to bio for lunch.
The venue is light and airy, with a split level dining area and a modern feel.
The food was delicious! We had the set rice and bean plate which comes with sautéed kale yummmm! I've been missing some greens since we got to Brazil and this was perfectly cooked, not over done as sometimes can be the case. We also had the tofu mushroom quiche which was sensational.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and having an English menu is a big plus. The menu also clearly marks which dishes are vegan, gluten free etc.Will definitely be back (maybe even tomorrow).
We are in Brazil for 55 days and I had been worried about getting decent vegan meals whilst here, but with places like Bio Carioca I need not worry.

Pros: Quiche, English menu marking vegan dishes

great little oasis - Edit

like others, I really liked this place. nice good, nice environment, open Sundays, friendly staff. it really isn't that vegan (cheese and cream used in many dishes), but if you communicate to them they'll offer you plenty of options. Very close to the metro.

Pros: delicious, friendly, good location

Cons: pricey, could be more vegan

Vegan lunch in Copa - Edit

If you're staying in Copa and are vegan, you'll be so pleased you found this place. We went our first day and enjoyed a nice lunch. It's hard to find a spot offering vegan food in Copacabana, and this place is cute to boot! It reminded me of some of the vegan cafés in LA (like a more Brazilian Real Food Daily). They do have cheese, so be sure to select the (clearly marked!) vegan items only. Thank goodness for the English menu.

We sampled the quiche, yakisoba, juice, and spring rolls, and were happy with the price and taste. Highly recommend the juice and any of the Asian-inspired dishes. Not the greatest vegan food I've ever had, but good for this neighborhood.

If you're staying in Copa, I also recommend Vezpa Pizza (they have a vegan pizza on the menu, plus delivery).

Pros: Asian-inspired entrees, English menu, Near Copacabana

Cons: A little bland, No faux cheese

Excellent small plates - Edit

This place was a life-saver during our recent stay in Copacabana Beach. It was pretty much the only vegan place nearby. From what I recall, at least half the menu was vegan (and clearly marked as such). We went there for lunch and ordered a number of small plates off the daily lunch menu. The tofu and hearts-of-palm quiche was unbelievably good. The staff were friendly despite the language barrier (the waiter was unbelievably patient with all my menu pointing). I think we ended up getting 4 different things plus a fantastic banana juice and the bill was still extremely reasonable. I would definitely eat here again.

Pros: varied daily menu, vegan, price

cool place ! - Edit

The Vegan dish , Bifum ( tiny Rice nudles) with Shitaki Mushroom was great ! A bit salty but still good .
Very nice music & relax atmosphere to eat .

Great place - Edit

A great veggie restaurant in Copacabana ... apparently the only one! I spoke to the owner and she tells me that plans are afoot to open the place for evening meals soon, in addition to the current noon til 6 pm arrangement.

Staff were very helpful and can speak English... although they do have an English version of their menu too. All food is categorised gluten-free/vegan/veggie. There is a daily menu of hot plates in the counter plus a la carte menu. The quality of the food is very good and the dishes are quite imaginitive; I particularly liked the quiches - ununusual for a vegan dish. Also enjoyed the many desserts that they make.

Price is pretty reasonable - RL 7-10 for a dish.

I liked this place so much, I ate here most days I was in Rio

Pros: Helpful staff, Wide choice of vegan foods, Great desserts

Great find - Edit

Brazilian dishes, vegan style. What a relief to find a small culinary delight for the vegan preferred diner. I followed the suggestions and other reviews to this little place and was happy to eat very well. The dish I chose was a "Moqueca de caju" a traditional northeast dish with surprising and savory vegan modifications. I added accompaniments of rice and farofa to round out the meal and had two freshly juiced drinks. The menu is varied and full and I look forward to coming here again. The servers and owners were very friendly and overall the experience was very fulfilling and delicious. Quiet atmosphere and I ate downstairs while watching a soccer match on a wide screen TV.

Pros: great menu, varied items, quiet, pleasant, vegan!

Cons: really could not find cons here

Return to Rio De Janeiro Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bio Carioca closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.