Bio Bar von Antun

Contact +43-01-9689351

Drahtgasse 3 (at next to Judenplatz Holocaust memorial in a baroque house), Vienna, Austria, 1010 Wien

Vienna vegetarian restaurant. Extensive menu is around 90% is vegan and organic. Lunch is approx 10.50€-14€ or a large choice of a la carte options. Non-smoking. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European

First Review by SarkeBeeley

Best in town - Edit

fantastic vegetarian food. I was there about 30 times. After Makro one (which is makrobiotic and vegan), for me the best in town. Best upscale vegan friendly is Lebenbauer. Try it all!

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-20

Pros: very tasty!, small scale fresh cooking, friendly

Cons: small place

Delicious organic food - Edit

I went there twice while staying in Vienna, the second time around I brought an omni friend. I got the Spaghetti and Risotto and both were excellent. The staff is super friendly and sitting outside was beautiful on a nice, warm summer evening. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: organic, whole foods

Cons: medium size portions

Good service, but average food - Edit

The wait person was very nice and helpful. I had the vegan schnitzel with a side salad, and a rustica bread appetizer. I really wanted to like the food. Unfortunately, it was just average. I really can't recommend the place.

Good solid lunch choice - Edit

We ate at this place while visiting the historic sites in the city centre. It was a good choice for lunch: lots of options on the Price Fixe menu, and lots of a la carte choice, too. In the end we both went for a salad - Greek salad for me, the salad with Seitan for my friend. The salad was very good - very fresh ingredients, and absolutely huge, and the prices weren't bad either (not a bad thing, given what an expensive city Vienna can be!)

There were lots of smoothies on the menu too and if we'd discovered this place earlier on in our trip, we probably would have gone there every day as our choice for lunch.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Affordable , Lots of choice

Cons: Not fancy

a good option while visiting the city centre - Edit

I had lunch at Bio Bar von Antun after visiting the Hofburg since it is 5 minutes away from there. The location is perfect and it is very nice to sit outdoor. However, the food is okay, but nothing special. We tried the Tiroler Erdäpfel G’röst, which is basically roasted potatoes with bell peppers and smoked tofu, and the goulash, which is okay but not the best that I had. I think that there are better places in Vienna if you look for great vegan food, but nonetheless it is a good place if you are visiting the city centre and you don't want to waste too much time looking for a place to eat.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-25

Pros: location, portions are okay

Cons: only one waitress

Outstanding vegan-ized traditional food - Edit

We had vegan schnitzel and steak and it was unbelievably good. It's the kind of vegan meal that makes you feel warm and cozy inside and also let's get a sense of authentic Austrian food (but without the meat.) Go right now.

Pros: Authentic-style food, Comfort food

Best Vegetarian Food in Vienna - Edit

Oh Bio Bar! I'm so pleased you're my inaugural review! My fiancé and I specifically übered here after an exhaustive search of veggie Austrian food that wasn't just schnitzel/burgers. True, there are other options, but truly this should be your first stop. We were greeted warmly, even with our embarrassing German, and were set immediately at ease by both the servers (enormous apologies for forgetting their names, the lovely woman was from Slovenia and the gentleman may have also been but was Indian...they are magic and I really am embarrassed ). They went over the menu items meticulously, he explained that they had to go out and forage this time of year only for this incredibly unique garlic leaf that defies logic. We enjoyed the spring soup (very good), the "Cici" (good!) and the Zwiebelrostbraten with apple and horseradish slaw (Amazing!). AND THEN at the end of our meal, he gave us some leafy garlic to take home. Love them, love the food, love Bio Bar!

Pros: Fantastic Staff, Authentic Cuisine, Great Music

Nice food in good atmosphere - Edit

Bio Bar von Antun is a small restaurant in the center of Vienna. They have a variety of vegan foods, including Wiener Schnitzel. The food we had was delicious and enough to get full. The atmosphere is nice and the staff is friendly. The food is quite pricey unfortunately, but it is all organic and overall good quality.

Pricy, but tasty food - Edit

We went there yesterday and tried their lunch menues. The menue was quite creative, they offer some croatian specialitys for Vegans, but unfortunately the portions are really small compared to the high price. They use seasonal and local vegetables, which I really appreciate.
We can't judge the speed of the service, since we were the only customers, so we got our order pretty fast and the waitress was very nice and polite.
They only have a small choice of desserts and only half of it is vegan.
All in all it is a nice little restaurant, but nothing special.

Pros: Tasty food, Clear labels, Creative menu with local products

Cons: Small portions, Expensive, Little choice of desserts

Quiet and cosy - Edit

I had dinner at the Bio Bar Von Antun yesterday. It took me a while to find it simply because I lost the city map, but that's another story... :--)

The woman at the counter was very nice, the menu is both in German and in English, and I had the following: Bruschetta Rusticana (vegan), which was nice and served on an old wooden cutting board (very "rustico", if you speak Italian!). Then I had rice with mushrooms and tofu (which was smoked, and really tasty), and I drank a pear juice.

20.30EUR, which seems ok to me, the food was good and portions generous. I would go back there, but I leave Vienna tomorrow and tonight I'm trying a different veg place!

Pros: Cosy atmosphere, Good food, Big portions

Really Nice and Cozy Vegetarian Restaurant in the heart of Vienna - Edit

This restaurant was fantastic and the food was superb. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the staff (the nice lady) was really helpful. They should definitely hire more staff specially at lunch time.
We got the set menu which included the soup, deep fried pumpkin with polenta and also a salad with stripped seitan.
The menu had lots of vegan options.

Pros: In the centre of Vienna, Friendly Staff, Food was really good

Please hire more waitresses!!! - Edit

Excellent food and drinks, BUT understaffed, service is VERY VERY SLOW, you can sense the stress, I really feel sorry for the nice lady.

Pros: Good Food, Good Drinks

Cons: VERY slow service (understaffed)

More like ashram food - Edit

We had lunch here after just having come across it by chancet the previous day.
I would always want to support vegetarian restaurants as I appreciate people making healthy food available but I am sorry to say that in my opinion, this is falling way behind.
It was more like ashram food from years ago.
We choose the set menu of soup, main & salad for €11.90 each.
The soup was ok, the main meal was puréed chickpeas, some tofu and cous cous. Very bland. The small salad was mostly lettuce and red onion.
This kind of meal is very cheap to produce so I hope it gives the owners a good living.
The woman who served us was nice but very nervous and chaotic.
It seemed like the male owner was angry with her by the way he talked constantly to her and she was getting more and more flustered.
But as we couldn't understand his words, we may be wrong about this.

Pros: Quiet

Cons: Bland food, Not great value for money, Tension in the air

Great pepper steak, bravo bruschetta - Edit

Start your meal with the bruschetta, a creative take on the antipasto from Italy. Bread is topped with tomato, slivers of smoked tofu, garlic and spices, and served with a small green salad. I loved it!

The pepper steaks, with red wine gravy, plated with a pretty presentation of potatoes was a memorable menu item. Delicious.

Food was served by a sweet woman with a sweet voice who spoke English very well.

Ok food - Edit

We had the Zwiebel-Rostbraten and the Pepper-Steak and it was both ok but not extraordinary. I would go back there if there weren't better options in Vienna. The server was really friendly and the food is freshly prepared so it's a good place but unfortunately not really my taste. If you like low salt and under spiced food though, this could be a good choice for you!

Plenty of choices, but choose wisely. - Edit

The menu has a fantastically extensive choice for the vegan and vegetarian, comprised of a specials menu (a set of soup, salad and main), a lunch menu or a separate dinner menu. The waitress was adorable, kindly speaking in English for us and translating the specials board. My partner chose a faux meat Croatian meal which came with a scrumptious side serve of potatoes and a salad, and I opted for an 'exotic fruit and vegetable curry'. It was here I made a mistake. The first bite was like a taste explosion, full of lemon zest, coconut, kiwi fruit, broccoli and mango. However, second bite and the same intensity remained making the curry a difficult meal to finish. I should have chosen a simpler meal or queried more about my choice. Portion sizes weren't overly large and didn't quite represent the costs, and we probably wouldn't return. But some other reviewers really enjoyed the atmosphere and food, and it's each to their own!

Pros: Gluten-free options for you celiacs, large choice of meals, lovely waitress

Cons: Slightly pricey

Excellent! - Edit

We arrived late on a Friday night
The waitress was lovely and asked whether we'd prefer English or Deutsch.
Friend got the schnitzel and I got the seitan cutlets which were absolutely amazing. Coated in a red wine sauce and with mashed potato. Not yr typical vegan meal!

Pros: Service , Seitan Cutlets

Lovely first night meal - Edit

We arrived in Vienna today and following several hours sight-seeing visited Bio Bar for tea. I ordered the zwiebel braten and Stewart the Pfeffer steak, both meals were delicious and we intend visiting again later this week

Pros: Very tasty food, Good menu selection, English menu available

Good food, cozy place - Edit

I went there with my omnivore Dad and both of us enjoyed the meal very much. They offer a range of vegetarian and vegan versions of international as well as traditional Austrian meals, including vegan desserts. The atmosphere is welcoming and cozy, the staff are friendly and well-informed about the items on their menu. I recommend!

Pros: wide range, friendly, cozy

Decent and Centrally Located - Edit

Bio Bar wasn't on my list originally, but it was close to the hotel so after a long day it was the most convenient choice. The menu is in English and is all veggie with lots of vegan options. Killer juices. The meal was good, large portions. It wasn't overly special, but it was certainly a fine meal. They have a lot of info for local animal welfare/rights events which is cool.

Quite the quality food - Edit

I was surprised at the quality of the food at this place. We went there for our first day and I ordered a pepper steak. Probably one of the best faux pepper steaks I had. Everything about it from the gravy, texture, taste and baked potatoes was perfect. Perfect vegan bavarian style dinner.
The interior of the place feels warm but it felt a bit uncomfortable to be there as the people working there were not the most invinting. Also the chair I sat on was not leveled so there could be some improvements.

However the food was superb so it gave a good lasting experience. To those complaining about prices. I prefer eating some original and delicious meal for a higher price than spend less for greasy tasteless junk. Of course I cannot speak of all the food in there but I also tried the seitan salad and cutlets? Very decent too. If you want to eat something decent in Vienna this is the place to go. All the other places I went to the other days were rubbish and made me want to vomit due to their excessive use of salt/msg and soy sauce combination.

Pros: Food

Cons: Price, Not too welcoming hosts

Awful - Edit

How this restaurant has the cheek to bring out its food is beyond me.

After searching online for a restaurant that was open on a Sunday - very rare! - we were very relieved to find that Bio Bar von Antun was. The menu had plenty of vegan options, and everything sounded good.

The lady that served us was friendly enough, and the menu was in English. I ordered the Ragusa, which was described as 'almost pizza'. I wouldn't even make this for myself if my cupboards were bare - how it ever made it onto the menu, let alone out of the kitchen, is beyond me. The food came served on an old, splintered wooden board, and consisted of stale bread, spread with tomato purée, far too much dried herbs were dumped on top, and olives and artichokes. Vile. At almost 9 euros, it was a joke.

My other half ordered the potato hash, which included peppers and smoked tofu. It tasted ok, quite greasy, but felt more like a side dish than a main meal. At almost 30 euros for the meal we felt ripped off completely.

Would not return even if you paid me!!

Cons: Awful food, Overpriced

A pleasant surprise - Edit

I was a bit weary of visiting this restaurant after reading some mixed reviews but it was definitely a pleasant surprise and I ended up going there twice in two days! My newly vegan converter boyfriend and I had four different menus in two days and the food was very good and tasty, the portions were large and they also had some very good organic beer to go with it. I definitely recommend it and will go there again on my next visit to Vienna!

Great vegan comfort food in cozy location - Edit

This place was a lovely surprise in a quaint pedestrian location. The owner lady was really nice and took great care of us, and the lunch menu with three courses was very tasty and great value for this price!

It's a great choice for lunch and there is also much to discover just around the corner, like the vegan friendly book and spice shop next door!

Pros: Good lunch menus, great value, Friendly compassionate owners

overly expensive and boring - Edit

This restaurant offers a lot of dishes where the meat is replaced by something else (Seitan for example) which I generally don't like (I mean the idea of having to "replace" meat).
Most of the dishes are rather boring and I can easily cook a lot of them at home, while I prefer having something new when I eat out.
The Chili con Tofu wasn't really a Chili, strangly enough there was mostly rice in it. The rice-tofu-vegetable-Curry (13 EUR!) is the best dish I had at Antun's, the worst one was the Seitan-Schnitzel.
The large choice of organic fruit juices and cocktails is very satisfying.
Even though the portions are not too small, I still think, the prices are much too high.
The interior is disturbing and overcharged with posters and other things that catch your eyes, it's rather dark. But sitting outside in the summer is reaaally nice.
The staff is very friendly, but all in all I can't recommand Bio Bar von Antun.

Pros: juices, staff, location

Cons: price, quality, atmosphere

Dirty and small portions - Edit

Just have been their one time and will probably never go back

Have been their for dinner in winter, so it was very dark, cold and dirty
the food portions were small, even I ate a soup, main dish and dessert, i wasn't full
the food itself was something quick i can make at home, but without any spices

just the waitress was friendly

Cons: dirty, small portions, not spicy

Great food but small - Edit

I really enjoyed our lunch there !
The waiter/ owner (?) was lovely, the food was good and the Bio Bar bruschetta is really in the centre of vienna.

I had the bruschetta and it was really good, but it could have been more, all dishes are very small there.
They have to get bigger !!

But we really liked it.

Pros: Nice waiter/owner, great food (le bruschette !!!), in the middle of vienna

Cons: small dishes

Nice outdoor dining when the weather is good - Edit

A friendly, relaxing meal. The Bio Wrap was quite good. Tiramisu was pleasant. Strawberry-apple juice was quite refreshing. Menu in German and English, and server spoke good English too.

Pros: good outdoor seating, friendly server

Ridiculous - Edit

This place was a bit awkward to find from the map supplied as the marker is slightly misplaced. It is actually on the road between the Judenplatz and the Am Hof, on the Drahlgasse.

When we finally found this place, we took a look at the menu and all seemed good, so we decided to go in. The waiter (I think also one of the owners) greeted us quite nicely. He chatted with us quite a bit and made us feel quite welcome.

We went through the menu and decided to finally go for a meal for two. I can't remember the name. First we were served the so-called salad for two. Was probably the worst and smallest salad I have ever eaten. Wouldn't even feed a rabbit. Was this an indication as to what was to come?

The main course was actually quite tasty. However, one thing I have noticed about Austria is that they like to serve things on over-sized plates to give the illussion that they are giving you more than you are actually getting. Our serving dish was basically divided in three small section, each with something different. In one section there was a few small roast potato pieces. In another section was a few roasted veggies. And, in the middle section was the meat-like veggie proteins. However, all were tiny, almost mean, proportions. They wouldn't even feed one. Just because I am a veggie, it doesn't mean I don't like my food!! There was nothing special about the taste of it. However, the sauce was quite nice. We also had one beer each.

This basic meal came to a whopping €60+ and the waiter actually had the nerve to tell us that this did not include the 'service charge'. There is no such thing as a 'service charge' anywhere in Europe. Austria, like Ireland, Spain, and the rest of Europe, rarely leave tips but when they do they just leave a few coins. Even my Austrian friends told me that. The reason we go to restuarants and over-pay for food is because we are already paying for it to be cooked for us, served to us and our plates cleaned!!! When we refused to pay this huge service charge (as it was not even indicated on the menu anyway!!!), the waiter/owner had a sudden change of personality and started to shout abuse at us from across the restuarant in front of the other customers. What a pleasant way to run a restuarant!!

Pros: Quite central

Cons: Extortionate prices, Huge so-called 'service charge', Tiny proportions

4 Responses

AndyT Peace, but I beg to differ, I am Austrian and (like most other Austrians and Germans) normally do leave a tip of about 5% of the invoice amount (more if it was really good, less if I feel that it was really bad).

Paying the exact amount of the food is normally considered an insult to the waiter if he has really misbehaved (I have also done that, but not in this place). Mentioning that there is no service charge makes sense to me if the customers are English-speaking and might otherwise understand that the service is included like in their home places.

Sorry about your bad experience, I was there a number of times and always found it an agreeable experience.

TofuCelt I have lived in Austria for a short while and travelled extensively all over Europe and I have never heard about a 'normal tip of about 5%'. Even my Austrian friend said that it is like places like Ireland and Spain, where you can leave a tip IF you want and usually it is just to the nearest even full figure.

Besides, that is beyond the point. To charge a huge tip (I think he wanted a 12.5% tip!!) on top of an already hugely expensive but very small meal, was ridiculous. At least leave that up to the customer to decide IF and how much they want to leave. They are already paying a fortune as it is.

Glad you are enjoying it yourself though.For me though, never again.

Quite overrated! - Edit

So this place was really cozy, true and they had 4 sets of menus which is awesome! So my friend and I picked different ones... They both took about 20-30 minuted to get ready and the portions were quite small. Not that I mind that, but for 13euros now that's crazy! I feld ridiculous that they actually get by by ripping off their customers like that! Absurd... And if that's not enough, it wasn't that tasty. Meals were lacking some spaces and mine was also dry... The dessert was just the opposite- to much intense tasted for one piece! I am really disappointed of this place... There are much better vegan places in Vienna to be tried out!

Always a hit - Edit

We came here three days out of four - and we usually don't return to the same place on holidays. Very friendly waiter/owner and delicious food. The mixed grill is a novel delight and the tyrolian hash potatoes are marvelous.

Pros: mostly vegan, great wine, friendly service

Vienna: Local Food - Vegetarian / Vegan Version - Edit

"Bio Bar von Antun" is one of my favorite places in Vienna. Normally I am not too much of a mock meat fan (they indeed do have a lot of soy, seitan & co), but what I like here is that this restaurant gives an opportunity to the visitor to try local food - vegetarian or vegan version, that is. Talking about the guests, there are also many locals coming here, some of them on a regular basis.

I found quite a lot of vegan options. Here's where I had my first "Wiener Schnitzel" - made of Seitan. It was very tasty, I would love to take a meat eater here to find out how close this is to the original ;-) . The "Schnitzel" was served with risotto and a salad, the price for all of this was EUR 13.90 which is fair.

The place itself is really nice, if you sit inside the building or outside on the terrace. You can come here for a big meal or just drop by for a (soy) cappuccino. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Pros: good food, local flavour, nice staff

Not Bad - Edit

This restaurant serves nice, simple, 'homestyle' food that is healthy and fuss-free. I had a salad and a lentil stew with smoked tofu, which was nice but a bit too small. The best part of the meal were the desserts, especially their version of the 'energy balls' that seem to be so popular among the vegan/raw community worldwide.

It is conveniently located in the central area of town, so it is a handy place to mark on the map when sightseeing.

Pros: Healthy Food, Good Location, Emphasis on Organic

Cons: Small Portions, Some Dishes Somewhat Bland

worst restaurant in Vienna? - Edit

This place was worse than I could ever expect.

The vegan choices are very few and like a previous review points out the meals are created from a meaters perspective, replacing meat with tofu. I love tofu but the serve the same tofu you can buy yourself in the store, not doing anything with it expect heating it up. That means that it is more or less tasteless.

All courses were put on the table really quickly so I understood that they food was already prepared in advance. And I had diner in the evening and expected something better.

The starter was just vegetables dripping of oil and too salty (antipasta), the main courses consisted of just different kind of tofu, all tasteless but they had put too much pepper on the food. And again too much fat.

The waiter said they had Schockotarte, which should be chocolate cake? Something gray made of gel was put in front of me. It didn't like fresh, I tried to eat but couldn't eat this tasteless gel.

This simple, fat, uncreative, salty, dull meal cost me almost 30 euro and the waiter had the nerve to complain in front of me with a sarcastic remark that he left very little tip. Very unprofessional. He should think about the reason for a small tip. They had also had 3 euro for something called kitchen which means that they already had some tip!?

Don't come here. This restaurant ruined my first evening in Vienna.

Pros: in city center

Cons: tasteless, fat or too salty food, very little vegan options, low quality of food and service

2 Responses

AndyT You must have had the "Chocolate pudding".
Well, that is a "timeless classic" in Austria and Germany (part of the children's dessert portfolio), even though it is possibly "an acquired taste".

Understand however that this restaurant is trying to find a niche in the most expensive area of the city area that is (like everywhere else in the world) populated with 99% of meat-eaters and nevertheless popular as a business lunch place due to the "organic" appeal and the menu that caters to meat eaters habits. They try to interpret non-vegan Austrian food (and traditional Austrian food is 100% non-vegan, unfortunately) in a vegetarian way.

Sorry you did not like it. I was there on numerous occasions and liked it a lot sometimes, and just a bit at other times.
But "worst restaurant" in the city? C'mon.

Great atmosphere - Edit

I went here for lunch on a sunday when almost all the other vege restaurants in Vienna are closed. Really liked the atmosphere, comfortable and colourful. Large choice on the menu, I liked that there were Austrian options (e.g. Wiener sausages, Goulash) so that I didn't miss out on trying local options because I don't eat meat as usually happens!
Was a little difficult to find - is just off Judenplatz which is a few hundred meters further south than the map shows it (that may have been corrected by the time you read this)

Pros: Healthy, Atmosphere, Friendly staff

Tofu everything - Edit

I am a recent Vegan and have been missing the restaurant scene since making the change. I was looking forward to trying the vegan dishes at this restaurant.
If you do not like tofu, do not go here. The menu was coming from a meat eaters point of view just replace meat with tofu patty. I had the potato gulash and my husband tried some kind of zwiebel rostbraten type thing. Never again. I think that the menu lacked imagination. I would never go here again.

Bio Bar - Edit

We were very excited to try out a vegetarian/vegan in Vienna, but were disappointed with the result. We tried a two different soups of which the vegetable stock was so salty we couldn't finish it, though the creamy vegetable soup was quite ok. For a main dish the vegan cordon bleu came without cheese ('because vegan cheese is almost impossible to find biologically'), and was again very salty. The tofu fried in beer batter was a creative idea, but the vegetables that came with it were not done. The dessert of chocolate pancakes surprisingly came topped with rosemary.
Overall, we will never eat here again and we would not recommend it either.

Pros: Diversity

Cons: Slow service, Salty, Poor presentation

Lovely atmosphere - Edit

Amazing location and relaxed atmosphere. I have eaten a delicious exotic curry (rice with fruits and vegetables) and a mixed salad; unfortunately the goulash could be better.

Pros: outdoor seating, excellent quality

Cons: a bit expensive

Good Austrian food - the vegan way - Edit

I had a nice lunch here on a Sunday afternoon, when most of Vienna's restaurants are closed. I tried a creamy celeriac soup, very tasty, with some wonderful freshly baked bread. I went on with a dish of vegan sausages and wurst, with mixed salad and roast potatoes, which was also very satisfying. The vegan dessert I was recommended by the owner wasn't unfortunately very good: a chocolate pudding which I didn't like much. The restaurant is conveniently located near Judenplatz, in the heart of Vienna.

Pros: friendly staff , good food, conveniently located

Cons: the desserts could be better

excellent food and great atmosphere - Edit

I had a perfect vegetable soup and a rice/veg dish. The location is great and the atmosphere inside calm and relaxing. And they played Leonard Cohen the whole time I was there! :))) The service (an older man, perhaps the owner?) was warm and friendly. Will definitely go back. It is not expensive for Vienna.

Pros: excellent food, relaxed atmosphere, location

Delicious and baroque food - Edit

Eaten/ tasted the following dishes:
- exotic curry ( a hot dish: rice with exotic fruits)
- Brown rice with mixed vegetables ( potatoes, cabbage, fennel)
- Ragusa bruschetta ( white bread - I would have preferred whole bread...- with tomato sauce, artichockes)
- multivitaminic drinks
- cold, homemade lemon tea

It is possible to eat inside, it is possible to eat outside, in an intimate and at the same time severe atmosphere of lofty palaces, near the very central Stephans Platz. The food's quality is high, deliciously baroque as the buildings around the restaurants.

Unimpressive - Edit

The restaurant is right in the center, true, but that is its own redeeming feature. The seats are uncomfortable, the service is slow, and the food is sub par and kind of expensive. Everything is really salty, vegan dishes all consist of seitan.

first vegan meal - Edit

Couldn't resist my daughters wish to have a go on vegan food. I must say, I am convinced now. The food and service in Bio Bar von Antun is second to none. And my intention for the future is certainly to change my choice of food in favour of vegan. Another meat eater less!

Happy Vegan* - Edit

Delicious fresh and healthy food! Had the goulash and it definately satisfied my craving for Austrian food. My father and his girlfriend were joining me, both meat eaters, and they were more than happy with their lunch. Great selection, and yummy vegan cakes that were sugar free. Will definately be going back when I visit Wien again!! The waitress was really friendly and spoke great English, and the restaurant itself is cosy and warm.

Delicious food and great service - Edit

I've eaten out at Bio Bar several times and was never disappointed. The food was always delicious and diversified.
Yes, the prices are a bit high but you get really good quality organic food plus great service.
Yesterday I had the Toscana bruschetta with vegan cheese which were really good. There is a lot of mock meat dishes on the menu but also a good range of dishes for those who don't want meat substitute.
Then there are several mostly vegan cakes, all sorts of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, cocktails, juices.
I really recommend Bio Bar if it's ok for you to spend more than 10€ on a good meal.

Still dreaming of the zweibel rostbraten - Edit

Even though I used Happy Cow for years, I only recently joined, so I tried not to write any old reviews, but I just loved this place and wanted to add my comments. Two years ago, we went here 3 nights in a row for dinner and the same waitress recognized and served us. We tried the wiener schnitzel, cordon bleu (veganized for us), and a special as well as the zweibel rostbraten (multiple times!). I still dream of the zweibel rostbraten. Individually, the items were good, but putting the seitan, onions, and apple horseradish all on one forkful together was amazing. Dirk's parents are from Germany and if his mom could make this, maybe we'd visit more often! lol Basically, to us, Bio Bar reminded us of the type of food we grew up with (my parents are Finnish). The wine was good as well. :-)

Pros: zweibel rostbraten, friendly service, German/Austrian food

Cons: a little expensive, but hey, it's Vienna

A gem in the heart of Vienna - Edit

This little place is amazing - great food and great beer! We had lunch there which was soup, salad and these amazing rice burgers - very filling. We also had dinner there twice and they do a lot of traditional Austrian dishes made vegan using seitan and mock meats with sauces. They also have vegan cakes. The staff and really friendly and there's outdoor seating.

Lovely place to have lunch in the center - Edit

We had a great lunch here on our one day in Vienna. We got the vegan lunch special, soup and soyburgers with potatoes for 7.70, which we thought was very reasonable. The place was relatively full with locals and tourists, with Leonard Cohen playing on the stereo. The food was very good, though it may been after a few days of traveling it was our first real meal.

They had an English and German menu. The waitress was great. It's in a great location, and whole experience was lovely. We would definitely go back.

Pros: Ambience

Get the vegan weiner - Edit

This is a pretty decent place. A lot of the food was too oily for us, but it is native food so if you don't want to miss out on Austrian Cuisine come get the vegan version here. Desserts are really good, too. Bruschetta is great, too.

Pros: tons of vegan, vegan desserts, booze

Cons: oily, fried

Bio Bar von Antun - Edit

Really nice and friendly place. The menu is a bit reminicent of veggie food from the 70s though. Good range of puddings, but overall it wasn't cheap.

Pros: friendly service, vegan puddings

Cons: mains were very salty, bit dated menu

Excellent place - Edit

Very good restaurant, warm atmosphere, kind people and it is not an act. Food is excellent, served quickly, not expensive and quite some choice, also less cheap. Deserts are very good quality and I think the cakes are their own make. Sweet pumpkin pie, try it out!
It is almost a pity I don't drink alcohol because by the looks of it the Bio Wine must be Anton's hobby.
It can be crowded though, this time I went on a saturday evening at 20:30 and it was almost empty - timing ... :-)

Pros: quality, affordable, choice

Cons: My belly has capacity for only 1 deser

Filling, almost too filling,,,,,, - Edit

We enjoyed our meal, the special of the day. It was full of solid filling things, which we liked. Judging by others complaints on Happy Cow, many people want the moon on a stick and would have moaned about this meal being too starchy or carb heavy.

Pros: filling, substantial, Tasty

Cons: heavy , dense, strong flavours

Vegan Sweets Lover's Paradise - Edit

I visited the place in the end of November - once to try the lunch specials and once especially for the cakes :)) It was worth it - delicious and inventive cooking!

Pros: Vegan desserts, Menu in English, Central location

A little treasure in central Vienna! - Edit

delicious food, good portion sizes, helpful and attentive service. The pistacio cheesecake was wonderful. Good choice of fresh juices. A little pricey. Located near the Holocaust memorial it is a friendly place to eat.

Pros: good variety, delicious dishes, friendly

Cons: a little pricey , I didn't get to eat there more often!

Great food and best vegan desserts in Vienna - Edit

Bio Bar offers a massive range of food and it took ages to work through the menu, specials and then to narrow down to a shortlist before ordering! The serving staff were really helpful and happy to explain anything that hadn't already been translated into English.
Everything we had was tasty, well made, fresh and well presented. The vegan savoury pancake with a creamy filling was a rare treat.
The puddings were amazing - vegan tiramisu and chocolate pudding. Never had vegan tiramisu before - recommend both!
We ate outside - nice tables under umbrellas in the square, inside decor was also really nice and funky. We ate late and the staff were relaxed about it.
It's not very cheap but this is good quality food in a good atmosphere with good staff - we felt it was good value for money.

Pros: mostly vegan, Quality, Value for money

Cons: Only got to eat there once!

Very nice restaurants - Edit

I went there with my boyfriend, and we both think that the food is delicious. Most of the menu is vegan, and they also have a pretty good selection of vegan cakes and desserts.
They use mostly organic vegetables and fruits, so I personally think that the price is reasonable - considering the location of the restaurant, in the middle of Vienna! You can get a meal consisting of soup, salad, entree, and dessert for about 10 euros, which is a pretty good deal!
What I didn't like was that my meal was very greasy, full of oil. But it was tasty, though.

Pros: Perfect Place for Vegan Tourists, Good selection of Vegan Food

Cons: Too greasy!

A Perfect Meal - Edit

It was a bit of a splurge, but for 14 Euro I got a cappuccino, delicious veggies in a creamy tahini sauce, and a perfect piece of tiramisu - all vegan.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Almost all options are vegan, Very friendly, English Menu

Cons: A bit pricey

Great little place - Edit

We really enjoyed this restaurant. The menu is almost daunting with the variety. Too many great options! Plus organic beer. It is walking distance from the opera and other central areas, just off the Juden Platz (where the Jewish museum is). So find that on the map, and you'll get there. Large portions. After lunch check out the museum. Worth a visit.

Pros: location, diverse menu, organic beer

vienna veg at its best - Edit

Besides falafel and pizza, not a whole lot of 'real' veg food in Vienna. This restuarant has some great faux meats. The friendly server was more than happy to translate the special menu (more than once). It's borderline gourmet, so it is more expensive than expected for some dishes. Make sure to have a map when trying to locate the restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: expensive drinks

Great, if a bit expensive - Edit

Reallt great menu, fantastically helpful staff and some cheaper options available. We had coffee and cake instead than a full meal as our budget wouldn't permit it but everything looked fantastic. English menu available and nice outside area with fairy lights! Great vegan tiramisu and chocolate cake!

Pros: Great food, Lots of vegan choices, friendly staff

Cons: a touch on the expensive side

Great for Vegans in Vienna - Edit

There is a good range of food for vegans including excellent deserts. We went twice while in Vienna. We enjoyed vegan antipasti, fitness salad, vegan wiener schnitzel, various bruschetta, as well as lovely desserts - tiramisu, moronitorte and chocolate torte. All freshly prepared. Good portion size. Very tasty food. Good value for money. I recommend the Bio Bar.

Pros: Delicious Viennese Food,, Value for Money,, Friendly

Cons: Smokers - as always in Vienna

bio bar von yummy - Edit

before our trip to vienna, i took the time to print out a few adresses, and the bio bar was definitely a good choice. we shared a big plate of grilled things - various kinds of mock meat served with tasty, small potatoes; vegetables and a great salad. i didn't know about local beers so i asked the waitress/owner who was really friendly and helpful. the price was reasonable, we had nothing to complain about, i even felt a little sorry for the nice lady when a group of 15 people stormed in and ordered a million different drinks.

Pros: good food, nice lady, cute place

Lovely place - Edit

Nice food, had a vegan goulash and my friend had a chilli, which we really enjoyed. There was a big vegan selections and it had a nice ambience with friendly staff. Really enjoyed it and would go back there the next time I'm in Vienna.

Pros: Nice staff, Good food, Healthy

Cons: Portions small

A lovely treat - Edit

This was a great place to eat, extremely friendly staff (the mageress is vegan), extensive menu (most of which is vegan)and fresh food (some recipes were created by the manageress). I had a lovely 'steak' in red wine sauce and amazing tiramisu dessert, all of which was vegan. They have a lovely selection of organic wines and beers. The only downside was the price but it was actually well worth it for the gorgeous food and great service in a lovely atmosphere.

Pros: Friendly staff, Large menu, Lovely food

Cons: A little pricey

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bio Bar von Antun closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10421 times since Aug 2007.