Big Lantern

• Veg-friendly
Contact 415-863-8100

3170 16th St (at Mission District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94103

Serves meat, vegan options available. Meat-heavy menu but does offers tofu, vegetable, and mock meat dishes that are vegan suitable (faux beef, faux chicken...). Has dim sum.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by SteveWired

Watch out ordering online!!!!!!!!! - Edit

The last time I ate meat, it was when I ordered online from this place for delivery. Having only ordered from here once before, quite a while ago, I did not remember what their veg meat looked like, and since I'd ordered a veg dish and put a note "Vegan, please no egg," I guess I assumed that I got what I ordered.

However, after eating quite a bit, I got more and more suspicious. The meat was too plain and tasteless to be veg meat. I was tearing apart the meat, trying to decide if it seemed like actual flesh and I was pretty sure that, yes, it was. I called them to ask. Indeed, they'd brought me the flesh of chickens to eat.

They refunded me, but the damage was done. I cried a lot. I know that it's not my fault, and I don't think this place did it on purpose, but I know now that I cannot trust Big Lantern to give me what I ordered. I also decided that I would never order online from any place that serves animal flesh again. I may still order from places on the phone, because when I'm actually talking with someone, it's easier to gauge that they truly understand what I'm saying.

The other time I ordered from here, I thought the veg food was good. My anti-vegan food sister actually likes their meatless chicken better than chicken flesh from here.

Pros: large vegan menu

Cons: don't order online, cannot be trusted to give you veg meat, crying after you've eaten chicken flesh

Love Big Lantern - Edit

Some of the best Chinese food around. Great location in the Mission. My favorite dish is the Sauted Sting Beans with Fried Tofu. It may not sound all the exciting, but the tofus are dried and salted a bit and sooo yummy. The Yum Yum Eggplant is also really good, although it is a bit oily. Vegan is easy at Big Lantern and the food is outstanding!

Pros: Delicious Chinese, Vegan friendly, Great price

Amazing! - Edit

Big Lantern is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in SF. As a Vegan, I have found that some of my favorite Vegan dishes are not found at purely Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants. Big Lantern is a prime example of this. Their Sesame Meatless Chicken is one of the best fake meat dishes I have ever had. If you want to impress a skeptical Omnivore on how you can be Vegan and not give up flavor, texture, etc., just take them to Big Lantern and have them try this dish. I have and the results have been impressive. B-)

Other dishes I highly recommend are the Basil Tofu, General Meatless Chicken, Vegetarian Won Ton soup, Tofu Spinach soup, Kung Pao Tofu, Vegetarian Pot Stickers, Turnip Cake with Meatless Chicken, Tofu Vegetable Roll, Garlic Noodle, Hong Kong Style Fried Noodles with Vegetable and so much more!
Updated from previous review on Monday March 19, 2012

Pros: Amazing Fake Meat Dishes, Quality Chinese Food, Location

Cons: Not Purely Vegan/Vegetarian, Default wasteful plasticware on delivery

Fake Meat At Its Best - Edit

Fake meat nirvana. All vegan. Some of the best mock meat I've had. Super friendly staff.

Try the nicely spicy General "Chicken" or the extra spicy Orange "Chicken" or the even more spicy Mongolian "Chicken". (Pass on the Cashew Chicken.)

Pros: Mock Meat, Friendly

Cons: Parking difficult

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Big Lantern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1818 times since Feb 2012.