Big Island Brewhaus

Contact 808-887-1717

64-1066 Mamalahoa Hwy, Unit A (at Kamamalu St), Waimea, Hawaii, USA, 96743

Serves meat, vegan options available. A brewery/restaurant that serves Mexican food with several, well-labeled vegan options, including all the beer. Mon-Sat 11:00am-8:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Marmot

Lots of choices - Edit

Finding this place was a nice surprise. VERY nice to see SO many vegetarian and vegan options! I'm talking about over a page of meals. It was delicious, good vibes, good service even though very crowded.

Pros: So many veggie options, Quick, good service

Cons: Noisey, May have to wait; altho went quickly

Good food, great beer - Edit

Stopped in here twice on our way through Waimea. Both times we had some snacks, but filled up quickly on their black bean dip/mac nuts and some beer. Honestly the food was good, but the beer is what made both visits special.

Watch out for open mic night. That good... weird. Quickly.

Pros: Great beer!, Decent food

Cons: Open mic night. Yikes.

Decent burrito, great beer - Edit

We went mostly for the beer and we were definitely not disappointed. The vegan tofu burrito was pretty tasty with guacamole added. It wasn't the most amazing thing I've ever eaten, but it was pretty satisfying. The habanero sauce really gave it some extra flavor. The free chips and salsa were pretty good too. Both times we were there pretty early in the day, so it wasn't too crowded or noisy and the service was excellent.

Pros: great craft beer, vegan options

Not Great - Edit

I tried to order an appetizer of guacamole, but the waitress said they were short on it so they were saving their guacamole supply for main course dishes. I had the taco salad which at $12 was pretty pricy. It was small, had no dressing, the shell wasn't very crispy, and the "guacamole" consisted of a grape-sized chunk of inedibly hard avocado.
My husband had the tofu vegan burrito. It was a little better, but he said it was "weak" and he only ate it because he was so hungry.
We were there at about 3:30 pm on a weekday afternoon in late January, and it was still loud and the floors looked sort of dirty. The men's restroom was either out of order or somebody had passed out in there, because it was locked the whole time we were there.

Good food, good service, local flavor - Edit

We found the brewhaus while searching for vegetarian options in the area. It was busy on a Friday night, and we could tell that it was a local gathering place. The staff was friendly and fast. As soon as we sat down, chips and salsa were brought to our table. My husband had the garden vegan burrito, and I had the tofu vegan burrito. Both were delicious, and we had enough left over for lunch the next day. There’s not a great vegan selection, but vegetarians can order tofu as their “meat” in some items.

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Quick, friendly service, T-shirts

Cons: Limited vegetarian selections, Loud & busy on Friday night

Delicious Mexican fools and great beer - Edit

We decided to drive the hour from Kona to try this place out. It was fantastic. I had the special veggie burrito and it was delicious. They use locally grown ingredients and have many vegetarian/vegan choices. The service was fantastic! If you get the chance and have the time, definitely give this place a try!

Pros: Vegan options, Vegetarian options, Great beer

Food is fine, atmosphere is frustrating - Edit

They have a small vegetarian selection with 2 vegan options. The burrito I got was fine - no complaints about the food. When you see how small the place is you'll be shocked to know there is live music in the evenings. Yep, that makes it LOUD. There is a little outdoor seating, but remember your jacket!

Return to Waimea Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Big Island Brewhaus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1228 times since Mar 2012.