Bhai's Indian Canteen

( 1 review )
905-731-7272

115 York Blvd Unit 8, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada, L4B3B4

Modern take on Indian vegetarian food. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Wed 5:00pm-10:00pm, Thu 5:00pm-10:30pm, Fri 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm, Sat 4:30pm-11:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Indian, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Catering

1 Review

First Review by SteveInItaly

Server made me feel unwelcome - Edit

I ate dinner here tonight. The food was good, but the service made me feel unwelcome.

When I first arrived, the woman who was greeting people as they came in told me that there were no single tables available because of a group reservation. She seated me at the head of a large banquet table in the middle of the restaurant, and told me that she would move me to one of the booths near the window when one became available. Fair enough.

The server, whose name tag said 'Geet', ignored me until I waved him over to the table. He was impatient as I asked a few questions about the menu (which is different from a typical Indian restaurant), and gave the impression that I was somehow burdening him. I made a choice after discussing some of the options, and he walked away without asking if I would like something to drink.

About five minutes later, one of the booths became available. Geet cleaned and reset it, but when I asked him if I could move to the booth, he waved a patronising hand and said no. When I responded that the woman who seated me had told me I could change seats, he said "No, she was mistaken, these seats are reserved. You will be fine here." My impression was that Geet did not think that I was worth his time and wanted me out of the restaurant as quickly as possible .

The food was mildly spiced but good. After I finished my meal, I asked Geet for my bill as he walked by, but he ignored me. I went to the cash and asked to pay. When he asked if I enjoyed the meal, I said that while the food was good, I felt unwelcome in the restaurant. He feigned concern and asked me what the problem was. I pointed out that I easily could have been seated in one of the booths, two of which were empty throughout my meal, and told him that it was clear he wanted me out of the restaurant as quickly as possible. He protested, saying that he didn't know I wanted to be in a booth and thought I would be more comfortable where I was. That was bizarre, given that I had explicitly asked to be moved and he had refused. I'm not sure who he thought he was fooling, but his apology and sudden show of concern were plainly insincere. He gives the impression of an owner's son who doesn't feel the need to treat customers with respect.

The rest of the staff were pleasant and the food was good, but I will not eat here again.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Disrespectful service

Return to Richmond Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bhai's Indian Canteen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.