Beyond Veggie by Secret Recipe - Suria Sabah Shopping Centre

088-487023

Suria Sabah Shopping Centre, Lot B6 & B7 Basement Floor, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia,

Offers a varied menu of vegetarian food and cakes. Has pasta, pizza, sandwich, salad, noodle, and rice dishes. Note that tofu is made with egg. Modern atmosphere with many tables. Multiple locations in Malaysia; this one is on the basement floor of the mall, previously on the first floor. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Chinese, International, Western, Take-out, Asian, Bakery

First Review by Veganswife

Hit-and-miss, limited vegan options, oily, MSG - Edit

Ovo-lacto-vegetarians should do well here (if you don't mind oil or can manage to find a dish wth less of it), but the vegan options are somewhat limited. Of the four vegan dishes we ordered, we really liked one, but three were too oily and one was too plain. We also think they seem to use a lot of MSG. One of us didn't feel well afterwards.

Just okay - Edit

LACTO OVO VEGETARIAN.

Note: I reviewed the Beyond Veggie at Imago as well amd wrote about the Beyond Veggie at Suria Sabah. This is a more detailed version.

Ala carte dishes. Environment is very clean, typical for shopping mall. Lots of choices for vegetarians, from appetisers to desserts. Very limited for vegans. Staff is friendly.

I went to the Beyond Veggie branch at Suria Sabah several times and swore off Beyond Veggie because of my experience there. The only reason I went to the one at Imago was because I was tagging along with others.

The food at Beyond Veggie Suria Sabah was bad! I went there three times. The first, I was excited to have vegetarian food at a mall because you dont get a lot of vegetarian restaurants around. My food was extremely greasy. I told the staff and she apologised, but it was okay, the staff were friendly (although sometimes they act as if there arent any customers around, shouting at each other and singing. They probably thought the kitchen was sound proof because when they went outside they were polite and smiling but when they entered the kitchen, they started shouting expletives).

So second time, decided to give another try. Staff recognised me straight away, again very polite. Ordered a different dish, and the mock meat was burnt and oily. Hmm.

Couple of weeks later, didn't know what to eat and thought, maybe I should give them another try, it wasn't that bad right? Nope, shouldn't have listened to myself. Burnt and oily again. Luckily it wasnt as bad as before. Staff apologised again.

I was eyeing the cakes for quite sometime and since I was there I wanted to give it a try but I didn't know if the cakes were vegan. I asked the girl if they were vegan and she was confused. So I asked her, "Does it have any eggs or milk?". And she was like, "No, no, no eggs no milk". Intrigued, I asked really? And she assured me it was. "Even the cream cakes?" "No, the milk make in factory", she said. I assumed she meant non-dairy whipping cream and I asked her which her favourite one was. She pointed to the hazelnut chocolate and so I had that. IT WAS SO DAMN GOOD. But apparently she lied to me about no milk because half an hour later, my stomach was hurting and the last time I felt that way was when I had a glass of milk. Later I found out through several vegetarian blogs that the dessert was indeed not vegan.

However, when I was at Imago I noticed they have updated the menu to mention which dishes has eggs in them, but no mention of milk in thr menu.

The food I had at the Imago branch was okay, but I was wary about trying anything else there because of my experience at the Suria Sabah branch.

HOW TO GET THERE
From the main entrance, keep right and walk all the way to the end. You will see Beyond Veggie on your right.

If you're ovo lacto, go ahead and try it! Especially the cake!! But its a no from this vegan.

Pros: Lots of choices, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive , Not vegan

Best meals I had in KK - Edit

My first experience with the Beyond Veggie chain was in Bintulu - and it was not a particularly joyous experience (see review). But after disappointing meals at three highly-rated eateries in KK, it was time to revisit Beyond Veggie.

Thankfully, this Beyond Veggie did not suffer from the problems of the Bintulu branch. Service was professional and food was pleasing in both taste and appearance. Price is same as Bintulu, but while a set meal price is double typical Sarawak prices, it is only about 50% higher than typical KK price. And nothing else I tried in KK even came close to this quality. All those overcooked, overpriced, bland economy rice failures in KK cannot compare.

My experience at both Imago and Suria Sabah (1st fl) branches were the same, so this review is posted for both.

Pros: Excellent food taste and appearance, Polite, professional service

Cons: Rather pricey, Mall ambience

delicious, but overpriced - Edit

Clean, friendly and good variety.

Pros: lots of variety and the food we had was excellent.

Cons: ridiculous prices for KK

Original and tasty in Kota Kinabalu - Edit

We loved this restaurant. Malaysia is not always easy for vegans, as fish and fish sauces are so much used in vegetable dishes. We visited Beyond Vege in February 2014 and it had been open only a few weeks. We found it quite by accident, as our bus drove past it and I later decided to check it out. The young staff had a clear grasp of vegan and vegetarian and we had a wide choice of Malay inspired dished to choose from. my favourite was a tempeh based dish with a spicy peanut sauce. We drank a large pot of a hot passion fruit based drink with honey. Delicious.

Pros: Vegan food in abundance, Clean contemporary decor, Samples Malay favours without the meat

Return to Kota Kinabalu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Beyond Veggie by Secret Recipe - Suria Sabah Shopping Centre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.