First Review by junya

Not Vegan-Friendly - Edit

I went there for lunch on a Monday, they showed me their menu which is in English, I asked if they had something without eggs and without any milk products and without honey: they had not a single thing on their menu that was vegan! ...except for some drinks. So I could not order anything, I had to leave. I went to 'Veggie Time' (same building, second floor), buffet style, they had 2 vegan options.

Pros: looks clean, comfortable sitting

Cons: Not a single vegan option

Nice food, nice staff - Edit

LACTO OVO VEGETARIAN.

Ala carte dishes. I've only had one dish from this branch, some noodle soup and it was okay. Huge portion though. Apparently the mock meat was very good.

Staff was friendly and great! We went quite late but they were still willing to serve us. Came in a large group and our food came extremely fast.

Environment is very clean, typical for shopping mall. Lots of choices for vegetarians, from appetisers to desserts. Very limited for vegans.

I went to the branch at Suria Sabah several times and swore off Beyond Veggie because of my experience there. The only reason I went here was because I was tagging along with others.

The food at Beyond Veggie Suria Sabah was bad! Burnt and oily. I wanted to give them several chances because I thought it was just a one off thing. Turns out the quality was the same again and again. Also, at the time I didn't know if Beyond Veggie was vegetarian or vegan so I asked the staff and she told me "no milk, no eggs". I was so excited because they had a chocolate cake on the menu and learned the hard way that there was indeed dairy in the cake thanks to my lactose intolerant stomach. I noticed they have updated the menu to mention which dishes has eggs in them, but no mention of milk in thr menu.

The food I had at the Imago branch was okay, but I was wary about trying anything else there because of my experience at the Suria Sabah branch.

HOW TO GET THERE
Go to the basement and find the Everrise supermarket. Beyond veggie is opposite Everrise near the STICKY candy shop.

Pros: Lots of choices, Friendly staff, Very clean

Cons: Expensive , Not vegan

Best meals I had in KK - Edit

My first experience with the Beyond Veggie chain was in Bintulu - and it was not a particularly joyous experience (see review). But after disappointing meals at three highly-rated eateries in KK, it was time to revisit Beyond Veggie.

Thankfully, this Beyond Veggie did not suffer from the problems of the Bintulu branch. Service was professional and food was pleasing in both taste and appearance. Price is same as Bintulu, but while a set meal price is double typical Sarawak prices, it is only about 50% higher than typical KK price. And nothing else I tried in KK even came close to this quality. All those overcooked, overpriced, bland economy rice failures in KK cannot compare.

My experience at both Imago and Suria Sabah (1st fl) branches were the same, so this review is posted for both.

Pros: Excellent food taste and appearance , Polite, professional service

Cons: Rather pricey , Mall ambience

Return to Kota Kinabalu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Beyond Veggie by Secret Recipe - Imago Mall closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 273 times since Apr 2016.