Betty's

• Veg-friendly
Contact 716-362-0633

370 Virginia St (at downtown Buffalo), Buffalo, New York, USA, 14201

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu includes some vegetarian dishes, has a vegan tofu scramble. Nice dining area. A breakfast and brunch kind of place.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Lily

good food... kinda pricey IMHO - Edit

A cute restaurant in the heat of the city. Serves vegetarian and meat. patio seating available.

Pros: very cute spot, patio seating, great ambiance. li

Cons: The menu was a bit pricey in my opinion for what w, nonetheless, I'd go back. the atmosphere was nic

Not for Vegans - Edit

If you are a vegetarian this place is fine. It even advertises that it is vegetarian friendly. There is plenty of stuff to eat. However, you can eat at Applebee's and do just fine. As a vegan one would think this place is good. If you are a vegan and don't want a plethora of cheeses sprinkled over your food, this place is not for you. Most of the vegetarian menu options contain dairy and eggs. You can order dishes like the black beans and rice without these things but, without the cheese they come out pretty bland. The one true dairy free entree on the menu is the penne with cashew cream alfredo for 16.50. This is pretty small and honestly not that good (at lest not worth 16.50). This place is also really expensive for Buffalo. It can be really crowded for Saturday and Sunday brunch. Expect to wait over an hour. Wait times for lunch and dinner on weekdays are not that bad. All the wait staff dress up with bow ties. The ambiance is pretty hip with exposed brick inside and industrial pipe heating above. It is in a up and coming neighborhood and it has this sort of cool bike riding hipster who is "mostly" vegan but still eats bacon on Friday who makes nine dollars an hour at a coffee shop but is willing to pay 13 dollars for some beans vibe. If you are into a sort of classy place that serves a lot of cheese this place is for you. If not go somewhere else.

Pros: More vegetarian friendly than McDonalds, Good Ambiance , Food is presented well

Cons: Expensive, Long waits for Brunch, Not vegan friendly

So good we ate here twice in two days - Edit

One would think visiting Buffalo would present a challenge for vegan/gluten free customers but Betty's saves the day.
Our first meal was a breakfast and my husband and I had the Scrambled Tofu Hash which was very tasty,generous portion size and quite delicious.The only downside was the gluten free toast had diary in it but the meal was quite sufficient without the bread.I had a salad as a side and my husband had the home fries - both were good.Our non vegan friends were very happy with their meals.
We went back the next day for lunch and I had the Black Bean Burrito without the tortilla (I am gluten free)and it was delicious.My husband had the soup of the day which was Tomato Basil which was very good and the Roasted Veggie Chick Pea Burger which was also very tasy (be aware the gluten free bun does contain dairy).
The service was very fast,friendly and eager to please.
The pricing was very reasonable and we would definitely visit again - after all we ate there twice in two days!

Pros: tasty food, good selection, reasonable pricing

Love Betty's! - Edit

I dined with a large group of friends at Betty's in March. The restaurant is warm and inviting, interesting artwork on the walls, a bar area and a kid's play area in addition to the main dining room. Very comfortable and welcoming place, excellent staff and the food is fantastic. I was the only vegetarian in my group and the rest of the people all had meat/poultry dishes that they loved, but their jaws all dropped when my entree arrived! I had a bowl of tomato lentil soup to start, good for a cold night. My Entree was a "Roasted Vegetable Salad" that had to be two pounds of wonderful fresh vegetables; lettuces, grilled peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and more. I asked for the dressing on the side but didn't even need it as the salad was so flavorful on it's own. My Soup and Salad came to less than $15! Even with our large group everything arrived at the same time at the right temperature and no complaints from anyone. This is an excellent restaurant! I have no complaints.

Pros: Fantastic Food, Healthy Cuisine, Great Ambience

Good food, good atmosphere - Edit

I have been to Betty's several times, and have always been pleased. It was my favorite restaurant in Buffalo until Merge opened. I still haven't tried all the vegetarian options on thier menu--which says something about the number of choices available. In addition to several vegetarian options on thier normal menu, they always have one or two vegetarian dishes on thier list of specials. Although I've always been happy with my dishes, my meat-eating dinner companions have not been. I brought my parents here and I don't remember what my mom ordered, but she said it was only mediocre. Everyone agreed that my eggplant parmesian was the best dish of them all. I remember bringing a friend here once and her not being overly impressed, but again, I don't know what she ordered. Either they do veggie food better than carnivore food, or my standards for quality food have diminished since becoming a vegetarian (which is entirely possible--after so many years of being disappointed by the menu options and creativity put into vegetarian food at most restaurants, food now only has to be good to satisfy me). But anyway, Betty's is really good.
I usually go here for dinner, and have never had to wait and the service is usually good. I went for breakfast once, and although my tofu scramble was really good (I guess that's what everyone orders!), we had to wait a long time and the service was slow.
I love the art on the walls.

Pros: lots of veg options, tasty food

Cons: your non-veg friends may not love it, long wait for breakfast

Cute, but not enough vegan options! - Edit

I have only had the tofu hash, which is one of the only vegan options on the menu. The place is really cute and cozy, but it isn't great if you are vegan. The do support NPR though!

Pros: Some vegan options, tofu, good coffee

Cons: expensive, not enough vegan options

A lukewarm first impression - Edit

Situated at the corner of Cottage and Virginia Streets in a residential section of Allentown, Betty's, with its cozy atmosphere and seemingly hip crowd, is a natural fit in the neighborhood surroundings. The restaurant is well lit and has a very pleasant ambiance; local art adorns brightly colored walls. I stopped in for a quick brunch on an early Sunday afternoon; most of any morning crowd that had existed earlier had now dissipated. I was pleased to find that most of the menu was vegetarian with a few vegan options. The tofu hash I ordered, however, was mediocre at best. The corn bread was very dry, semi-stale and several of the red peppers in the dish were burnt to a crisp. My waitress also forgot to bring my drink despite the fact that she was only waiting on me and two other tables. Since it was nearing closing time (3pm on Sundays), most of the staff seemed overly distracted with setting their own meals at a near-by table with an older lady, who I assume was one of the restaurant owners. Though I might have had a better experience dining earlier in the day, I was nonetheless left with a far-from-stellar first impression of a restaurant with much potential.

Pros: Beautiful ambience, ample street parking

Cons: few vegan options, closed Monday, limited Sunday hours

Great Neighborhood Restaurant - Edit

I live right around the corner from Betty's and used to eat there every Friday night. It's a great place, with a fantastic menu. I would say it is more than 50% vegetarian, maybe 20% vegan. The staff is fantastic as well.

Pros: Amazing vegan options, Gorgeous inside and outside, Staff is friendly and knowedgable

Cons: Sometimes very packed

Return to Buffalo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Betty's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3211 times since Oct 2007.