Beter en Leuk

Contact +31-207670029

Eerste Oosterparkstraat 91, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1091 GW

Beter & Leuk is a vegetarian cafe and lunchroom, at this location since 2012. Offers high tea, and once a month a vegan brunch (check date). Open Mon 12:00pm-5:00pm, Tue-Sat 10:00am-5:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Bakery, European, Dutch

First Review by Cornelie

worth the visit! - Edit

We had our best vegan burger even. it's definitely worth the visit. we recommend it also for meat eaters, they will reconsider turning vegan after eating the burger hahahaha the rest of the menu is also good, half of the options are vegan, and they make delicious juices. The staff is nice and helpful.

perfect little cafe. exactly the type of place I will love to return to! - Edit

Love finding these types of cafes here in Amsterdam. Delicious and creative food. The side that came with my vegan sandwich was so large I was able to take it to go and eat it later! I got the sandwich with the homemade nut based tzaziki spread. I love the atmosphere with nice little gift items for sale. Perfect cute place! Will be back.

Pros: vegan options , gluten free options, cute retail and gifts

weed burger - Edit

Had a fresh juice an "weed burger" an it was the best burger I've had! Very juicy an meaty, not dry at all. Came with a lentil nut salad in the side. The cakes were also lovely an they did a great soya flat white. The perfect lunch stop.

Great vegan options - Edit

We went here for the Easter brunch and were really happy with the choices. The buffet was vegan except for hard boiled eggs. None of the dishes contained soy. There was plenty of food and all of it was quite tasty. The staff were excellent!

Pros: Plent of vegan options, cozy atmosphere

A hidden gem! - Edit

Beter en Leuk is another cute cafes that many just stumble upon, located in a small street away from the busyness of a city. I went to the brunch and was so surprised at how much effort goes into the food, service and presentation! Everything I ate was perfect and the experience was very enjoyable. It was quite expensive but it wouldn't have been if I had been able to eat more but we didn't stay long enough to let the food sink down in order to fill it again! I would most definitely go again!

Pros: Cute cafe, Not busy, Friendly staff

Perfect Veggie Brunch - Edit

Went here for brunch knowing they had vegan options and came highly recommended. They didn't disappoint!
The vegan pancakes I ordered were heavenly. Just the right portion size with a side of syrup and a variety of tasty toppings. My girlfriend ordered the granola with soy yoghurt, nuts and fruit which was filling and delicious.
I also had a great cup of coffee. The place looked great and the staff were sincere and friendly.
My girlfriend ordered a chocolate brownie to go (made with sweet potato and dates) which was big and miiighty fine! Sadly it was not vegan so I had to take her word for it.
Great place, well worth a visit.

Pros: Many dietary options, Great tasting food, Outdoor seating

Cons: Tea game was weak, Chipped plate

Nice healthy food - Edit

I went here on a Saturday morning and it was a lovely place for brunch. My soy chai latte was delicious (though I'm disappointed to learn from other reviews that they didn't offer me the vegan chocolate instead of the cookie considering I ordered all vegan food!). I had soup with quinoa salad. The salad was delicious but the soup was a bit too salty. I thought it would come with bread, which might have balanced out the flavour somewhat, but I guess they thought bread wasn't necessary because I had a salad on the side. Either way the meal was filling. My boyfriend had the buckwheat pancakes. The actual pancakes were a bit bland but the date sauce they came with was very nice. For dessert I had banana bread which was delicious. I would definitely go back and maybe try something different for our mains.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Healthy food, Yummy desserts

Cons: Slow service, Some options not great

Delicious and healthy food - Edit

I've had the vegan high tea and really enjoyed it. We got a chickpea soup, couscous salad, a smoothie, 2 sandwiches per person with pea houmous and beet spread and off course a scone and a muffin. It all was really good. My favourite was the beet spread and the muffin. Service is really kind. I've never had such a healthy high tea!

Pros: fresh made, organic food, kind personel, nearby metro station

Cons: a bit girly for men

Nice, but not super nice - Edit

My partner and I went here for lunch on a Thursday. I ordered a lentil salad with pomegranate seeds and he got a flatbread with homemade falafel and cashew sauce. For drinks, we both had chai soy lattes.
The lattes were very nice. Just sweet and spicy enough. When we said we were vegan, we got a few pieces of really good vegan chocolate with it instead of the regular cookies.
My salad was alright, although slightly too cold, and there was hardly any dressing on it, which made it a little dry.
My partner did not like his meal. The falafel was very dry and did not taste like falafel at all. The sauce had a strange 'funky' taste.
We didn't get any cake because the vegan options of that day did not look very appealing compared to the regular ones and the cakes were displayed in the middle of the room, without any covers or refrigeration.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 04, 2014

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Many vegan options

Cons: Quite expensive compared to the quality, Questionable hygiene for some items

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Beter en Leuk closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.