CLOSED: Bernie's L.A. Cafe

• Veg-friendly

Contact 305-535-8003

1570 Alton Rd, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, 33139

Serves meat, vegan options available. Latin American cafe offers some vegan items and many vegetarian items. AUG 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Latin, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

Solid food, rough service - Edit

Had the black bean and rice bowl with fried plantains, and added avocado, caramelized onions, and grilled tofu for a protein kick. Everything was good except for the tofu, which was really just plain grilled, completely unseasoned. Also it was a bit too soft; a firmer kind would be more desirable. The four sauces they provided were perfect for spicing things up. They really brought the food up another level. My portion was average, but my friend's salad was huge. My partner got the cuatro leche as well for dessert but wasn't impressed.

Judging only by the food I had, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. But the service was kind of rough and hasty, which was weird since the place wasn't even busy, so I knocked it down to a 3.

Pros: good food

Cons: service

Awesome vegan Cuban - Edit

We were looking for authentic Cuban cuisine while on vacation in Miami, and this is it. Lots of vegan options on the menu, although only the "vegetarian" ones are marked as such. We got the rice bowls with black beans, grilled veggies, plantains and tofu. And they provide FOUR hot sauce options. Generous portions. Casual dining. A tad pricey, but average for Miami beach. Very happy!

Pros: good food, authentic Cuban, large portions

Cons: atmosphere, neighborhood

Bernie's L.A. Cafe - Edit

Travelling with someone that's not vegan or vegetarian can be tough, especially when they tire of your 'unique' all veg restaurant options. When you're in this situation compromise is imminent and places like Bernie's deliver. Bernie's is a Latin American inspired cafe featuring many vegetarian options as well as options for vegans. There were a few items with mock chicken in them, although I'm not sure if they are vegan (they're vegetarian at the very least), so be sure to ask. I ordered the rice and bean fajita wrap consisting of rice and beans, avocado salsa, grilled onions, and roasted red peppers - the meal also came with a small side salad. I thought the fajita was good, although I'd prefer fresh cut avocado over the avocado salsa, and that the dish was well flavored. If I lived in the area I'd likely return with a non-veg friend.

Return to Miami Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bernie's L.A. Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 653 times since May 2011.