First Review by minirunner2

Delicious and tasty - Edit

Great lunch items. Service was great, and food was beautiful and delicious. Had edamame, pineapple fried rice, a noodle dish, and (our favorite) pumpkin curry. I would visit again if in St. George.

Pros: Nice interior - a bit fancy, Great food, Good service

good vegan options - Edit

Had a pretty good lunch today. The pad Thai (hold the egg) was fine. So was the papaya salad (hold the fish sauce.). The vegetable tofu soup was very good, and even better than the miso soup. The high point was the mango sticky rice dessert, which needed no veganizing.

Pros: best place between Vegas and Kanab!, mango sticky rice, helpful server

Cons: fish tank near front door

Yes vegan friendly! - Edit

After being seated I asked my waitress (Brandy) what she suggested for a vegan to order. She knew what vegan meant and was able to explain that all the noodle dishes and some of the stir fry dishes contained fish sauce. She suggested a few veggie dinners that didn't contain fish sauce that could be ordered with soft or crispy tofu, and also said I could order any of the other dishes without fish oil but said the flavor of the dish would be lacking. I ended up with 2 rolls of veggie sushi (different ingredients than listed on the online menu- was vegan), a roll of cucumber sushi, and some edamame. It was great and I was very impressed with my waitress' knowledge!

Pros: Knowledgeable Staff, Fresh Ingredients, Tofu option

Cons: Fish oil in most dishes

NOT VEGAN FRIENDLY - Edit

Not vegan friendly at all. I had to ask about several menu items, and even asked simply about vegan options. The waiter did not even know what vegan IS. And the owner Benja was very rude, and acted like she could care less about us. Not cool. I will never go back to this restaurant.

Great option for this sleepy retirement community - Edit

Many items on the menu can be made Vegan. When we questioned our waiter about fish sauce and a like, he asked if we wanted our food prepared Vegan! That is a welcome breath of fresh air in a town this size made up of mostly retirees.

Our food was very tasty, it was oilly but that is Thai food, I would expect nothing else. We had vegi rolls and sea weed salad to start and tofu with thin Vermicilli noodles and veggies along with Pineapple fried rice for the main course.

The service was excellent and friendly. I will eat here everytime I come to town.

Pros: Good selection of could be made Vegan, Nice atmosphere while still casual, ample parking

Cons: We had a twenty minute wait on a Wed at 7pm, No fake meat products

Good food, not vegan friendly - Edit

The food at Benja is good although quite greasy. The menu has clearly marked veg options and also dishes that can be made vegetarian. I was concerned though because most dishes contain fish sauce and it is common for non-veg restaurants to not realize that fish sauce is not veg.

Most dishes contain eggs, even those that do not clearly list eggs in the ingredients contain eggs. It is very difficult to find a vegan option on the menu.

The staff was not overly friendly or helpful. Our waitress was even less helpful when we were requesting help in getting a vegan option. The food is extremely greasy and oily. This was my first experience with Thai food so it may just be a feature of Thai cuisine but I wasn't impressed with that.

Overall the food has a good flavor and I think vegetarians would enjoy the restaurant, but I wouldn't go back.

Pros: Good flavor, vegetarian options

Cons: Eggs in everything, Very greasy, Not very friendly staff

Return to St George Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Benja Thai and Sushi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1899 times since Oct 2010.