Ben D'Iddio

Via Angelo Galli Tassi 12, Pisa, Italy,

Vegetarian restaurant serving Southern Italian food. Belongs to the Vegetagliano Natural Supremacy. Makes food in-house including seitan, roast vegetables, pizza and panini. A 5-minute walk from tower of Pisa. Open Mon-Thu 12:30pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sun 12:30pm-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Organic, Raw, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Rongie

Superb service! - Edit

I would have given 5 stars just for the service. I don't know his name, but the guy serving us (I guess he might be the owner) was so proud of the ingredients and explained us about each of them. He spoke many languages and was helping us in English. But, since he noticed that we were Brazilians, he tried to talk to us in Portuguese and apologized for making mistakes and for using Spanish instead sometimes (really, really nice of him of knowing that we do not speak Spanish in Brazil and apologizing for mixing the two languages). The food was delicious and well served. It's not a cheap restaurant, but it's worth the money.

Delighted! - Edit

Such a lovely experience, I can't say enough about it. We found Ben D'Iddio after dinner our first night in Pisa and decided to try it the next evening. So glad we did! We looked them up here on Happy Cow and it sounded like we shouldn't miss trying the seitan. When we arrived the owner remembered us from the previous evening, even that we were visiting from California, though our exchange was very brief. It being October and past prime produce season not everything on the summer menu was available, but no matter at all. We put our trust in the charming, soft-spoken Stanislau and we could not have been more satisfied. His pride in the ingredients of his home in southern Italy (olives, olive oil, wine) was palpable. To start we ordered the canellini bean salad, but no canellinis that night so Stanislau offered us a lentil salad. It was simple, very fresh, and incredibly delicious. I had the seitan steak, which was amazing. The packaged seitan I'm used to is dense and chewy, but this was light and tasty, served with diced radish, cucumber and red carrot on deliciously dressed leaf lettuce. My husband had a sublime risotto with lemon, arugula and cumin seed that, if this were possible, was almost better than the seitan. The flavors were perfect. Desserts and linden tea did not disappoint in any way. Stanislau is a generous soul with great integrity and if you're a vegetarian visiting Pisa you should most definitely visit his gift of a restaurant. If you are open and flexible I think you will be delighted too!

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-03

Pros: Amazing food, Charming staff

Cons: Might require you to be flexible, Interior seating limited, but outside was lovely!

Great service - Edit

Excellent attentive service, a few minutes walk from the tower. A little on the pricier side but great for a dinner out. However, with it being a veg restaurant it was weird they had real leather bindings on their menus

romantic and delicious - Edit

We went for dinner on a saturday night. it was 7 pm so we had the place for ourselves until around 9. The waiter was excellent and very dedicated. the pizzas that we got where as well as the wine absolutely delicious. and eventhough the restaurant is definitely on the pricey side it is very much worth it. we would love to visit again.

good food, wonderful service - Edit

Ben D'Iddio is off the Main Street, (but still very close to the tower of Pisa) so less crowded. The food was very good. The service was excellent.

Bravo Ben D'Iddio - Edit

I visited the restaurant with my wife in April on a two night stay in Pisa. We sat outside on a warm Saturday evening, enjoyed some wonderful food and wine. The seitan was magnificent. Vegetables perfect and very good wine. We decided to return the following evening. My wife had pizza which was the finest I have ever tasted - it melted on the tongue. Stanislau, the owner, was a charming and attentive host, who had good taste in music - from Italian renaissance to Chet Baker.

Pros: Faultless food. , Great wine., Charming host.

Nice food & wine - Edit

We had a late lunch there. Small place, but with a nice menu (our host explained that everything is home made).
We had a seitan stew, really tasty and a pasta with porcini mushrooms. The staff took time to welcome US and explained the menu.

incredibly nice staff and great food - Edit

We pitched up this afternoon and were a tad rushed, as we can a train to catch. But the staff were more than happy to get us our food quickly, and even so it was quite good. I don't usually order seitan, but I did this time as the restaurant is known for it, and I'm glad I did. Also ordered a side salad with rucola, apple, and pumpkin seeds. My nephew ordered pizza and reported back quite favorably. The desserts looks great, but as mentioned, we were in a hurry. I'll definitely return here, and look forward to talking more with the kind staff, and sampling more of the delicious food.

Pros: kind and helpful staff, wide selection , care in preparation

great place - Edit

Very nice and passionate team who runs this place. All food is made fresh and tastes great. They won the European price for freshly made Seitan. Very recommendable!

Great Seitan - Edit

We had a lovely meal here while visiting the tower. The seitan stew was absolutely delicious. We also enjoyed the seitan bolognese and polenta with mushrooms. I love any place that gives you olives and bread to start a meal. Bonus that the bread was olive bread! Delicious! Vegan options are not marked, but our server basically understood it to mean "no cheese". The carnivores at the table next to us didn't realize that the restaurant was vegetarian and still seemed to really enjoy it, so you can take your carnivore friends there.

Pros: seitan, delicious food

Cons: limited seating

Nice Apulian Restaurant in Central Pisa - Edit

Loved the burrata, cheesecake and fresh pasta!

Lovely place - Edit

Lovely people, lovely food. I seriously reccomend cheese cake!

Nice vegetarian/vegan restaurant with a passionate staff - Edit

My husband and I really enjoyed our vegan dinner at this otherwise vegetarian restaurant. Our experience was complimented by a passionate, friendly staff and chef who gladly offered us various vegan recommendations and suggestions from their menu. We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, candle light, and friendly service which was a lovely addition to the vibrant, fresh dishes (of which we tried several and can recommend the gnocchi porcini, and seitan roasted vegetable steak). Will return.

Return to Pisa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ben D'Iddio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.