Belmont Vegetarian Restaurant

508-798-8898

157 Belmont St (at Rte 9), Worcester, Massachusetts, USA, 01608

Primarily a take-out Jamaican food restaurant with two booths for seating, near UMass Memorial. Plastic utensils provided. Order and pick up at the counter. Daily changing menu with dishes such as vegan pepper steak, BBQ chunks, curried chicken, rice, vegetable stew, cabbage, soup, patties. The combo plate comes with all of the day's selections. Street parking. Open Tue-Sat 11:30am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Caribbean, Jamaican

First Review by will-travel-for-food

BEST Vegetarian/Vegan In Worcester - Edit

Worth the money. Large portions. Try the soy Krust patty.

The man who runs/(owns?) this place is one of the nicest people I have ever encountered. Yet another reason Worcester is an awesome Vegetarian City!

Cons: Neighborhood

Great bet for decent veg and vegan fair - Edit

Take out Jamaican style soy protein laden, belly filling fair with an above average price, but very delicious. It's a safe bet for vegan and veg travelers going south from Boston. 11.50 for a large to go dish of all the specials of the day- 7 different fresh tasting, Jamaican spiced offerings.

Cons: Too much soy protein, Relatively expensive for what you get

Best vegan food in worcester - Edit

Everything here is delicious. My favorite is the steak and peppers, served with rice. The portions are huge and the staff is friendly and fast. The parking is not as bad as it seems. If you don't see a spot right on Belmont, just turn up a side street. There are only 2 tables, but I have never had a problem eating "in" for lunch. Atmosphere is stark but clean.

Pros: Food, Food, Food

Cons: parking, atmosphere

Vegan Worcester in Jamaica - Edit

As Worcester vegans with HIGH standards, we were thrilled to find this place. Excellent food, extremely friendly people, very clean, very reasonably priced. Just a couple of small tables, but ideal for takeout. As others have noted, there's a large menu, but what is actually available changes daily. When we were there, we had soy pepper steak, soy chicken curry, a really extraordinary soy fish (don't know how they did that!), and a lovely vegetable stew with white beans, all on a lot of rice. Oh yeah, and two excellent patties (vegetable and 'krust'). We got the medium combo entree ($8.50) and split it, and it filled both us hungry people up. We'll definitely be back!

Very pleased! - Edit

I was visiting Worcester on business and did an internet search to find a vegetarian restaurant. The Belmont Vegetarian restaurant came up first on my search -- I'm so glad it did. It was super easy to find, the man behind the counter was friendly, and best of all, the food was REALLY good! I got the small sampler plate ($8.50) and a Snapple and took it back to my hotel room and was supremely satisfied. One of the dishes was a lasagna that I couldn't believe vegetarian -- it was yummy! My second favorite was the BBQ dish with the onions and peppers over rice. Only thing the combo plate could have used a little more of would have been some fresh green veggies -- but maybe I should have gotten a side salad or something. Regardless, I highly recommend this restaurant. Very clean. Very polite to a traveller. I will go back!

Pros: Great food, Easy to find, Friendly staff

Cons: Only two tables

Really good, really different! - Edit

I was so excited to find this place right here in Worcester! The food is really different, and really good. They have something for everyone. You can park right along Belmont or just off to the side on Eastern Ave.

Delicious home-cooked Jamaican food - Edit

We were excited to try Belmont Vegetarian since there aren't any other Jamaican/Caribbean vegan restaurants in New England. It was great. Not everything listed on the menu is available at all times. When you arrive, just ask what they're cooking up before you get your heart set on a particular menu item. (For instance, they didn't have any macaroni and 'cheese' available when we were there.) We couldn't decide what we wanted to order -- so the cook made us sampler plates with a little of everything in them. This included pepper steak, soya fish, dirty rice, BBQ steak, veggie lo mein, and veggies with gravy. All of it was delicious. A medium sized portion cost $8, and a large portion cost $10. We also split a sweet dough patty, which was very flavorful. Needless to say, we left very full. The counter staff was very nice, and there was a steady stream of customers coming in and getting take-out. There are only two tables inside, so be prepared to get take-out if the booths are already occupied. We would definitely recommend Belmont Vegetarian to anyone looking for some delicious, down-home vegan Caribbean food.

Pros: great food, nice staff, convenient location

Return to Worcester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Belmont Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.