CLOSED: Befried

Contact 04018295196

Friedrichstrasse 3-5, Hamburg, Germany, 20359

Opened Jan 2014, the first vegan fast food restaurant in Hamburg in St. Pauli. Serves burgers, fish and chips, kebab, currywurst, fried chocolate bars, and more. Confirmed closed, Oct 2015. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-2:00pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Fast food, German

First Review by AudreyB

Befriend Befried - Edit

BeFried review
You're hungry, you're in Hamburg. What are you going to do? If you're looking for an artery-clogging, heart-stopping meal: Befried is the place to go. They sell delicious burgers that will fill you with tremendous joy as well as satisfying all your deep-fried needs. I liked the Hawaii burger so much it actually solved some of my childhood trauma's.

This is a place for people who don't expect anything fancy, simply good food. If punk versions of The Little Mermaid's 'Under the Sea' is your sense of humor; go! Eat! Feel loved!
Also, the staff is so cute I want to take them home with me.

Word of caution: do not take your first date to this place, unless sauce dripping from chins is your thing.

Not that great - Edit

I was full of expectations after reading a lot of good things about this place but I was rather underwhelmed by the food. The burgers and kebab are just ok but nothing special and far from the best I have tried.
The place itself is quite dark and the location not exactly pretty.

Pros: good value

Cons: bad location, poor food

Vegan fast food at fair prices - Edit

Located inconveniently close to Hamburg's red-light and party district, this place almost seems the only comfortable place to visit. The menu contains vegan fast food such as burgers, sausages, steaks and nuggets. However, probably none of this is more than an oven-ready meal that was simply deep-fried, so you will look in vain for handmade dishes prepared with a vegan cook's love. But don't get me wrong: Once you have accepted this, you won't get disappointed at all as all these products still taste good. Just not thaaaaaaat good. In fact, the daily dishes seem to be more interesting, I just don't have first-hand knowledge of them yet.
Additionally, the restaurant offers selected items of the former vegan supermarket "Bevegend". If you are looking to buy particular goods, this might be your best chance to get them easily.

Pros: Classic fast food menu, Political awareness, Mostly fair prices

Cons: Often long waiting time, Food not handmade

Be wary of portion sizes :) - Edit

I tried their "fishburger" and fries with chili mayo. There was slightly too much dill in the burger for my taste, but otherwise everything was delicious. I could barely finish the whole thing because of the portion size. It's everything but health food.

Underwhelming and disappointing. - Edit

This place is literally the definition of vegan junk food - in the worst way possible.

Pretty much all of the food they serve is ready-made or comes from the can - at least thats the case with the patties, nuggets, etc., according to one of the kitchen staff that served me. They simply warm / fry it up, soak it in sauce and even this takes 20+ minutes for a single burger and a small salad. The patties are therefore not particularly interesting or tasty - they have more a rubbery texture that doesn't even come close to the quality of some of the higher quality ready-made products one could buy in any big supermarket in the states (or at Veganz).

Even the cabbage salad (not particularly the definition of vegan haute cuisine) is a cheap tasting pre-fabricated cabbage salad out of a big bucket, which one could expect to find in a trucker snack at the side of the road, but not on a 3€ plate of very sad looking iceberg lettuce with some alibi cucumber and tomato slices.

Whoever designed the menu has never eaten a proper vegan burger before or has the culinary tastes and abilities of a 15-year old on his first weekend home alone without the parents.

If you're happen to be super hungry and drunk and around the corner all of this won't make a difference, but if you're passionate about vegan food and it becoming an alternative to the omnivore mainstream - you should definitely go somewhere else.

Two stars for trying.

Updated from previous review on Saturday April 11, 2015

Pros: Good punk music soundtrack, Friendly staff, At least they tried

Cons: Pre-fabricated, not home-made ingredients, Expensive for what you get, The definition of junk food.

nur zu empfehlen - Edit

leckere Saucen, viel Auswahl, fastfood vegan halt und sehr nette Menschen hinterm Tresen.
Frittierte Schokoriegel/Marshmallows oder Eis gibt es auch :)

Dazu gibt es noch eine nette Auswahl an veganem Essen zum Kaufen wie Violife Käse, Sojaschnetzel, Süßes....

You get what you would expect from Mc Donalds (but cheaper, healthier and better) - Edit

Cozy little restaurant with changing menu. Especially the burgers and the fried chocolate bars are magnificent!
It's one of my favorite places in Hamburg.

Pros: Cheap , A lot of options to choose from , Long opening hours on weekends Staff mostly capab

Cons: At times overcrowded (it's THAT good)

alles für den schnellen Hunger - Edit

Alle Gerichte sind super lecker und das Personal ist immer freundlich.
Vor allem nach dem feiern der beste Laden den man als Veganer ansteuern kann.
Auch Veganer Eis und schoki gibt es zu kaufen

Favourite place in Hamburg - Edit

This restaurant offers great burgers, döner and fried sweets - try the Cleos (vegan Peanut Butter Cups), they are so amazing! I can`t count how often i visited this place although the furniture is dark and the walls still a little bit naked - doesn`t matter, i love the atmosphere and the food. Best vegan place in Hamburg (maybe not for lovers of healthy food, but for everybody else)!

Just awesome! - Edit

This place is amazing! Had the 'vish burger' last night and it was super yummy. Staff is very friendly and the location is very good, just next to Reeperbahn. Came here with my non-vegan friend and she enjoyed her bean-burger very much as well.

Pros: Value, Taste, Location

Cons: none

Disappointed - Edit

We love fast food so we were hyped to go to BeFried.
We had the Big Veg burger and regular burger and we were very disappointed.
The burger patties are probably the most important thing on a burger - they tasted SO bad. They were SO greasy/oily and absolutely unenjoyable.
The overall atmosphere was very "dark" and we didn't enjoy it, unfortunately.
When we asked for sweet potato fries (very common in vegan restaurants) they gave us a strange look.
Too bad. Hope they will improve.

Cons: atmosphere, friendliness, interior

Best in Hamburg - Edit

I have made two trips to Hamburg and have pretty much eaten here exclusively because it is so good. I am pretty sure the staff really got tired of seeing me. It is straight up fast food and fantastically so. So far I have had the Doner, Schnitzel, and Currywurst. All were great and it makes it hard to choose what to pick when I go back. I am making a trip back to Hamburg in a few weeks and looking forward to getting to go here again. For those visiting, there isn't an English version of the menu but everyone who works there speaks english and is super friendly and helpful.
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 06, 2014

Nice 'ham'burgers - Edit

Last week we went to Befried. We liked the 'ham'burgers and fries, and loved the 'knobi' (garlic mayo)! The staff didn't really listen to us: we asked for sauces on the side (not on top of the fries. But it still was on top, so our fries were partially soft. And one of us asked a 'ham' burger without vegan cheese but got the cheese anyway. We asked for a new 'ham'burger, which was given without a hassle. What we didn't like is the location: it's nearby Reeperbahn, very loud and busy area with lots of 'streetgirls' and drunk people.

Pros: nice 'ham'burgers

Cons: area/ location, interior

amazing place - Edit

this small vegan restaurant is located near the reeperbahn, very central in hamburg. they sell all kinds of vegan fastfood like vegan döner, burgers, jägerschnitzel or currywurst! i recommend this place very much! the food was excellent and the crew was very friendly! thumbs up!

Pros: location

Brilliant vegan food - Edit

More of a fast food place, rather than a restaurant (although you can sit in at the back). The food was very good, the portions were huge and we went there a few times as it was the best place we found in Hamburg for good vegan food.

Pros: Great food, Big Portions, Good ethics

I was the vegan Elvis - Edit

I set up a Happy Cow account just to review this place.

Having been in Hamburg for about 36 hours on a stag do and having not eaten a thing the whole time I decided to head for this place. Wow. I took one look and realised I needed everything. Having ordered 4 mains, the first of which being an ultra massive burger, I sat down and the deluge began.

The food here is proper junk food. The burger was the biggest slimeyest most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It was joke massive and contained about half the world's vegan meat. I loved it. The fish and chips were brilliant. The kebab was massive. It was mostly decent seitan and not cheaper alternatives.

Staff were amazing even though my friend passed out before his food arrived and I was a dribbling drunk who ordered 4 meals and couldn't finish one. The staff kindly put all the leftover stuff in takeaway boxes.

It's great value too. You couldn't spend much even if you tried.

Thank you Befried, although I almost died through over-indulgence you fed me the best vegan fast food I've ever had.

Pros: AMAZING proper junk food, Insanely good value, Patient, funny, tolerant staff

Great - Edit

Amazing little place. Seating at the back. Staff was friendly. The food was very tasty. We had the cheese burger and kebab which both exceeded our expectations. Side of chips and many sauces to chose from.
Plus, lots of activist literature to read inside.
It was easy to find and the location is right off the Reeperbahn.

Pros: Tasty, Activist-orientated, Nice Staff

It is always closed! - Edit

Fist it is difficult to find and is in an unsafe area. Second, we have tried to eat there at least 4 times, it is NEVER open.
The menu sounds awesome, but getting there is an ordeal especially if you check the opening times and are disappointed.

Pros: Menu sounds great

Cons: Never Open

einfach toll! - Edit

so I started with the burger with cheese topped with cabbage, pickles, mustartd, ketchup and deep-fried onions, followed by the currywurst which was a giant sausage swimming in currywurst sauce on a plate sprinkled with curry powder. By then I had given up on my water and ordered a beer at which time I also had a sample of the seitan kebab meat (which they have on the traditional 'meat stick' as in any kebab shop). So, I had to order a kebab as well which was enormous, densely packed with lots of great kebab-meat. tzatziki sauce, red cabbage and veggies. Wow I was full. I simply had no room for the deep-fried chocolate bars to say nothing of the marshmallows.

This place is now on the top of my list for serious vegan fast-food. Its a step above Veggiegrill in California, and is on par with The Chicago Diner. Its better than East Side Burger in Paris. Not to say they're not great but I think Befried really gets the idea of late-night munchie grub where East Side is a little better for lunch. They have a sister store down the road (BEVEGANEND?) which is well stocked with lots of vegan products.

Go Here!

And the winner is.... - Edit

We have been traveling Europe for 2 months now, and this was by far the best veggie burger we've had the entire trip (and we've had quite a few!) The fries with garlic mayo were also delicious. The food was inexpensive, the dining area was clean and nice for a fast food place, and the staff were friendly. We couldn't ask for anything better. HIghly recommended!

Pros: delicious burger, inexpensive, friendly staff

best vegan burger ever - Edit

Befried serves great vegan fast food at very fair prices.
The staff is extremely friendly and the place crowded with people that all seem to order the schnitzel with chips. I had a burger and baked cheese which both were super delicious!!!
I definitely have to come back for the schnitzel, though ;)

Pros: great food (the burgers!!), friendly staff, fair prices

Return to Hamburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Befried closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7201 times since Jan 2014.