CLOSED: Beets Cafe

• Vegan

Contact 512-477-2338

1611 W 5th St Ste 165, Austin, Texas, USA, 78703

Raw food restaurant. Everything is raw, vegan, and organic. Has raw ice cream and raw pies. Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2014.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Fusion, All Raw

First Review by jshah

FANTASTIC! - Edit

As a raw vegan, I was thrilled when we moved to the Austin area and found that Beets was on my husband's way home from work!

It's a cheerful place, with upbeat and helpful staff, and the food is simply phenomenal.
The taco plate is one of my favorites- the taco shells are crispy, the "meat" and "cheese" perfectly seasoned.
Also wonderful, the ELT (eggplant, lettuce and tomato) is served on a flat bread that is a soft texture I have been trying to achieve for years. The creaminess of the avocado pairs perfectly with the crispy bacon-y slices of eggplant.
The curried carrot soup is not to be missed. Salty notes pair with acidity of citrus and the sweetness of the carrots to create levels of flavor that are finished with a bit of heat at the end. Beautiful.
I'm not one to neglect dessert, and the chocolate cheesecake was sublime. (And quite a generous slice.) But it was the brownies that had me ready to sign up for one of their cooking classes. Again, a texture I've never come close to- moist, yet fluffy in a way few raw desserts are.

Beets is the best raw food I've ever had. If there were one in Kyle I would be there every single day.

Pros: Amazing food!, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff

bad customer service - Edit

Although the food is good, the customer service leaves something to be desired. My husband made reservations for the special Valentine's dinner. I had been looking forward to it for over a month. On valentine's Day I woke up ill, flu like symptoms, and called to inquire about getting the special meal as a take out order. I was told they were not doing take out for the Valentine's Day meal. My husband called to see if they would make an exception due to my illness and was told no from the manager who had spoken to the owner. I understand them not wanting to handle take out for a special meal but would think that extenuating circumstances would be considered.

Pros: good food

Cons: bad customer service

delicious food and dessert - Edit

The dessert here is AMAZING!!! The taste of the choco brownie was very subtle. And I didn't feel the unpleasant heaviness I normally get from eating brownies. The cinnamon roll was even better than the brownie. The orange flavored frosting complements the cinnamon roll perfectly. Both desserts were complex and had great texture. Highly recommend!

For the main course, I had the cha-lu-pas and my hubbie had the Reuben. The chalupa was a bit too rich for my taste, but the side kale salad was great. And I liked the veggie chips that came with my husband's Reuben. Can't wait to come back to try some of their other dishes!

I agree with the other reviewers that the price is a bit high for the quantity of food you get. One point off for the price.

Pros: great dessert, raw, great service

Cons: small portions

Delicious Raw Vegan fare - Edit

I've been to Beets 3 times and I always go nuts here, probably ordering twice as much as I need in a meal. I just want to try everything, but don't get downtown too often just to eat.

Pros: Fantastic selection, Delicious Food, Entrees, desserts and more!

Cons: Ridiculously expensive, Staff can be rude/slow

a favorite in austin - Edit

it has been a little while since i've been back to beets (it's pricey) but the times i went, i was completely satisfied. everyone i've talked with, about beets cafe, thought it was heavenly as well.

Pros: amazing food, comfortable dining, healthy

Cons: cost

5 Happy Cow Faces... Compared to other Raw places. - Edit

I've been to 4 raw food places, and my wife went through a phase where she was eating only raw. I ate it, but I didn't like it. So if I hadn't received a gift cert. to Beats I wouldn't have gone. But I'm glad I did. It was very good, and compared to other raw places, it was excellent.

Pros: taste, health, service

Cons: raw, price

Best raw food in Austin...so far - Edit

They have a great selection of entrees, salads, and desserts, along with literature and materials you can buy. I ended up purchasing a vegetable spiralizer for making raw spaghetti. The salads are very large portions, and their chocolate cheescake is worth trying as well. They also offer classes on raw food preparation, which I will definitely attend sometime, since I want to learn as much as possible about preparing my own meals. I would definitely stop by here again in the future.

Pros: Excellent food, Knowledgeable wait staff, Supplies

Cons: Price

Huge menu, delicious food - Edit

The place is big, bright, and modern looking. The waitress was very nice and helpful. I got the Asian Style Noodle salad, with kelp noodles. It was too pretty to eat! But I ate it anyway and it was delicious. My husband ordered the Portobello Fajita Platter and that was good too. We started with the daily appetizer special: curried carrot chips with tahini dip. It was awesome! They have a huge case of raw desserts, but we stuck with the brownie, because it was small. It was really good. They also sell some raw cookbooks and some other raw items. I'll definitely go back! There's free parking in the garage too.

Pros: free parking, big menu, great food

Cons: a bit sterile setting

Delicious but expensive - Edit

Delicious but expensive and not completely filling, even though I had an entree and dessert. However, they do use local and organic products/produce, thus I am sure this is where a lot of the expensiveness comes into play.

It would be great if they had a lunch special or ran some kind of promo/discount, so I could afford to eat here more often!

Pros: Healthy/Light, Delicious, Organic and Local

Cons: Expensive, Not Filling

kudos to a culinary expert! - Edit

I'm def a foodie snob and I love veg food, but am sometimes a bit weary of raw food. this place is not just great raw food, it's amazing food!! the chef is a culinary genius! go there and get the apple cobbler! I don't even love desserts and I LOVE this. the chalupas/tostados are delicious too. the salads are delicious. everything was flavorful, inventive and healthy! not cheap though...

Pros: excellent flavor profiles, delicious food, healthy

Cons: pricey, but worth it, not high end ambience

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Beets Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6169 times since Sep 2009.