CLOSED: Beatroot Cafe

Contact +44-871-0752709

92 Berwick Street, Soho, London, London, England, W1F 0QD

The vegetarian buffet offers around 10 hot dishes alongside seasonal salads. Choose a small, medium, or large box and fill it with the food you want. Mostly vegan. Also has wheat-free and gluten-free items. Smoothies and juices are made-to-order. Cakes are made-in-house. Serves fair-trade coffee plus teas and herbals. Funky seating area inside. Reported closed to HappyCow, Apr 2015. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, British

First Review by baratron

Best quick takeaway food! - Edit

It's a bit pricey but the food is so tasty it really makes it worth it.
The hot chocolate with rice milk is my favourite hot chocolate to have out too!

Pros: Great tasting, Vegan and veg options, Everyone's friendly there!

Cons: A tad pricey, Quite small so not good for large groups

an old favourite for a speedy tasty meal - Edit

Informal, tasty and amazing value for central London. Old fashioned veggie style yet has lasted because it works. As it's a served buffet it's very quick. The juices are lovely too. Plenty for vegans.
A medium box is more than enough for a normal person. You have to be super hungry for a large. Small is handy for a quick meal.

Acceptable grub - Edit

Okay for a quick snack, but pretty pricey. Well located, but only a few tables. A place to pick up a snack and a coffee on the go, not to sit down for a meal. Fresh juices are available, but be prepared to pay upwards of £4.

Pros: Location

Cons: Expensive, Average , Fast food atmosphere

Very Cool Buffet - Edit

Almost everything here was vegan. You can get three diffrent size boxes and the biggest one will cost you aroun £7. In that you can put anything you fancy and the staff makes sure to fit in as much food as possible. Everything there was supertasty. All the deserts are vegan and the belgian chocolate covered rice crispies were really delicious too. So definately would recommend this to anyone because there are various dishes for everyone's taste and you can get a lot of great food for a good price.

Pros: Not Expensive, Friendly Staff, Delicious

Cons: Not All Vegan

Great Find! - Edit

My husband and I visited the Beatroot Cafe in Sep 2014. It is a very small cafe with indoor and outdoor seating. The people watching is really interesting, since it's smack in the middle of SoHo. All of the food, except for two dishes, was vegan. The service was okay, but the food was fabulous. You choose from three different container sizes, then the servers start piling the food in. I happen to love mixing my food (different flavours, textures, etc), so this process worked really well for me. My husband prefers his food to be separated and eats one thing at at a time, so he was not as enraptured as I was. We each got the large size container, since it didn't look that big to us, which cost @ 7 pounds each. I could have probably eaten another one, but I restrained my gluttony. However, I did purchase a chai tea, which was awful, and a vegan flapjack, which was very tasty.

Pros: Yummy vegan food, Lots of variety, interesting area

Cons: mediocre service, hard to find , chai tea

In love!! - Edit

Very similar to Iydea in Brighton - choose a size of box and ask what food you want to load into it. Plenty of vegan options (just ask the staff) including muffins and other small desserts. Very cheap, tasty and very nice staff.

Pros: Nice food, Good vegan selection, Cheap

Cons: Not a lot of sitting area

Great little find in Soho! - Edit

I've been to Beatroot about four times now and would highly recommend it. There's always a great variety of main dishes and salads, and the portions are generous. The juices are freshly made and taste great. A fantastic little find in Soho!

Pros: Healthy, Large portions, Fresh food

Nice little place - Edit

Had lunch here today with a friend and we are both vegan. Everything bar a couple of dishes were vegan and there was a lot of choice. I had a medium box which seemed small....until I tried to eat it all! The staff were helpful and piled our boxes high with food which was very tasty. I think if people want food cooked to order and not sat under heat lamps, they'll wait longer and pay more. Nice lunchtime treat. Will definitely go back

Pros: Choice of dishes, Delicious food, Quick service

Cons: Can't think of any

Nice enough for a quick feed up if passing through - Edit

Food was good and lots of variety. Choices were mostly vegan. I didn't find it very easily though as the numbers go up on one side of the road and down on the other - I was confused but obvious once I figured that out. Not very comfy seating.

Pros: Many vegan options

Cons: Not the most comfortable seating

Hearty, filling lovely food! - Edit

This is where you go when you want to eat NOW and eat well! You will get a HUGE portion of food but you can take the rest home if you cant finish it! You get to choose between cold and hot foods so there if something for everyone.The desserts are usually vegan too so you wont be left out! The service is always very friendly too which is always a huge plus! Its in a fabulous location so if you are visiting London its definitely a must!

Pros: Cheap but good quality food , Yummy , You can take it away with you!

Okay dessert - Edit

My partner went in late one night for some dessert. We both got the chocolate crackles. They were a bit dry and had raisins in them. Plus it was REALLY dark chocolate. They sold some banana soy milks - my partner had one. The crackles were tasty but not amazing. The staff asked us if we were sure we wanted to dine in - they seemed quite keen to get rid of us even though it wasn't anywhere near closing time.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Staff a bit rude

Bustling Soho, calm - Edit

A cool, small caffe in the heart of Soho. Its another pick and mix place, with about a dozen or so different things to choose from. You choose the size of the box and they fill it up with whatever you want.
The food was good, with several raw and light dishes, which were perfect as it was a hot sticky day. There are hot dishes as well, but those are for another day.
The staff are friendly and the place is clean. They make a point about using sustainable electricity and they seem to be pretty keen on being eco friendly. A good place to watch the world go by.

Pros: Good food, Good location

instant and nutricious - Edit

This is a simple little cafe, with simple, good, basic, no nonsense, cheap food. It's great for popping into. they have few dishes, but always the ones i want, these include raw-wise; vegan coleslaw, juicy grated beetroot, carrot etc, - cooked roast mixed vegetables (the tasty ones), shepherdess pie, lentil bake etc. In addition they have a good selection of juices & some sugar free deserts.

Pros: cheap, bright, easy

Cons: none, none, none

An Institution - Edit

I've been going to Beatroot for years, it's probably the first vegi place I found in London. The reason I keep going back is that this place is so cool. The food is cheap, tasty and healthy. There's always planty of vegan options no matter what time of the day you visit. Over the years the various staff have always been helpful and friendly. I don't understand the negative reviews on Happy Cow, maybe people expect too much for around a fiver? Nearly every time I get the medium size box I end up carrying it around for half a day due to the generosity of the portions. It's been going now for 15 years, I hope they continue for many years more!

Pros: Very vegan friendly, Cheap, Good food

Cons: Can get too busy to get a seat

beatroot - Edit

Sorry to be negative about a veggie place, but not sure why this place is getting four stars. The savoury food is ok but nothing special and not cheap for what it is - it's all sitting under heat lamps, not freshly cooked. The vegan cakes we tried were terrible - really dry and tasteless, almost inedible. The coffee was undrinkable dishwater. Gives veganism a bad name. If we were desperate and in a hurry we might go back for a salad.

Decent for London - Edit

I like this place but don't love it. The food is fairly tasty and
priced well. The staff fill your box, but they aren't stingy at all
(even when it looks full, they offer some more). But the food isn't
wildly creative, and seems to sit under heat lamps. The 70s orange
paneling look is a bit dated and not for everyone; but the place is
really designed for takeout (even if you're eating in, your food comes
in a cardboard box with throwaway wooden utensils). In most other
cities this would be a treasure, but in London it's just middling; but
if you're on a budget, this would probably be hard to beat.

Pros: fair price, decent selection, generous quantities

Cons: not very creative, food under lamps, weak ambiance

FRESH & FUNKY: Something for everyone! - Edit

Fresh salads and interesting hot dishes as well. Quick & easy 'boxes' to go. Priced by 3-selection & 4-selection boxes, as I remember. Very central & convenient. Caters to vegans & raw foodist as well ... yet very popular with meat-eaters, too.

The cafe itself is cute & well-painted. Dynamic even. Funky & fabulous!

Recommended. I worked around the corner and ate there twice a week. Appreciated the freshness & diversity of food.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 02, 2012

Pros: FRESH, Diverse changing menu, Quite a fun experience

Cons: Small

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Beatroot Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.