First Review by Grootchk13

Contributions +501

Excellent Vegan Breakfasts - Edit

The tofu scramble we've had here is the best we've ever had. They have a tofu burrito that's just as good as well as pancakes. While we have had lunch here, which is also good, it can't compare to the scramble. You sometimes have to wait a little while for a table, but it's usually not too long and while you're waiting you can shop in their market. Service is always good and the prices are decent.

Pros: Great Food, Good Prices, Friendly Staff

Cons: Usually busy , Parking can be hard to find

Best Milwaukee Restaurant - Edit

Beans and Barley is a major staple to the east side of Milwaukee. I don't know how I would eat without them. Love the portebella mushroom sandwich. Breakfast foods are the best for lacto-ovo vegetarians.

They are supposed to be changing all their cheeses to be vegetarian in January of 2013, so that is a bonus. Their deli is very good too. Smoothies and yummy burritos!

I would give them 5 cows if I could:)

Pros: Quick and affordable, Best food in Milwaukee

Cons: Occaisionally hard to find parking

Cafe & Grocery - Edit

Beans and Barley is a super popular cafe (packed near close when I visited) luckily the chefs in the back are happy to take a last minute order for anyone sitting at the counter! You can also get a decent selection of the food they make in the cold section of the grocery area. Beans & Barley is definitely the go to place for vegan food on a cold night, the cafe like atmosphere is great. I opted for a custom veggie sandwich, but the burritos looked amazing, too!

Pros: neat place

Cons: meat/fish/cheese on menu

Beans & Barley Cafe - Edit

Beans and Barley is a cute, and apparently very popular, cafe located in Milwaukee. They're a little busy on the weekends so expect to wait about 20 minutes until you're seated. If you're traveling with (or need to compromise with) a non-vegan, I think this would be a good place to take them as there are tasty options for everyone. For my entrée I ordered the Tofu Burger - I was attracted to this items as the patty is made locally by Simple Soyman in Milwaukee. The burger comes on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomatoes, vegenaise, and vegan cheese (upon request). The burger patty was really good, I didn't even taste/notice the tofu, as it tasted mostly of vegetables. All in all I thought the burger was good and I'd certainly order it again. I give this place 3.5 cows but will up it to 4 considering the number of options they offer and the area they operate in.

vegan and vegatarian, home-cookin' - Edit

not only does beans have a soup of the day and a dinner special that rotates daily, but they have plenty of great vegan bakery in the deli, hot and cold take out deli items, a deli counter to take out sandwiches and dinner items, and (most importantly for milwaukee residnets!!): BRUNCH! great vegan brinch items-tofu scrambler, biscuits and gravy, etc...a great place to eat, shop, and work (really, it is)!

Pros: good food, freindly staff, family owned

Cons: lack of parking for brunch-gets busy

um...YUM! - Edit

So...anyone that comes to Milwaukee or lives in Milwaukee MUST eat here at least once. I promise you that you will constantly CRAVE their vegetarian chili because well it have been voted best chili like 3 years in a row. Personally I love their burritos but they are different! There is stuff on the menu for meat eaters too!

Pros: yummy, friendly staff

Cons: small seating area, so you might have to wait, thats all thou!

Return to Milwaukee Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Beans and Barley Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2476 times since Dec 2007.