Bean Vegan Cuisine

• Vegan
Contact 980-939-1234

3001 E Independence Blvd, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, 28205

Opened Apr 2012, this vegan restaurant offers plant-based meals: home-style vegetable, sandwiches, green plate specials, daily desserts, and other classic American fare like burgers. Has another location in Asheville.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Doli

horrible - Edit

I've tried this place twice, hoped that the first time was a bad day, but the food was still horrible, taste like the poured a bucket of salt on all that I had. The person that took my order kept saying "if you are not use to vegan food you may have trouble with the taste", I explained to her that I have been a vegan since 2008. I travel with my job, and always go to Happy Cow to see what's close to where I am. Noticed that people that were coming in after me were leaving, went up to ask after waiting 45 mins for my food, when asked if the boxes I was looking at was mine, the person said "yeah, but I didn't take your order, so I didn't know who that was".

Pros: good hours of operation

Cons: poor service, horrible food, salty.

What a gem! - Edit

Found the Bean as we drove through Charlotte using the Happy Cow ap. Great menu options. Helpful staff. Delicious food! Really loved the mixture of southern staples with a vegan twist! The Bean Bowl was phenomenal. Great dessert options, too.

Very good - Edit

After battling terrible traffic like other users mentioned, and a long wait time time after wet ordered, our food arrived and we were happy with it. Nice to have do many vegan options. The best part of the store is the vegan grocery shop - so many specialty items you really can't find many places. Decor is unique to. We've been to both this one and the Asheville location. Enjoyed both. Happy to have these vegan options for comfort food items.

Pros: Vegan comfort food options , Good range of products , Nice flavors

Cons: Long wait time , Prices in grocery section are high

Wonderful vegan food! - Edit

I visited Bean Vegan Cuisine during a business trip to Charlotte. I had to battle killer traffic to get there from where I was staying, but it was WELL worth the effort. It is SO NICE to be able to go into a restaurant and feel safe ordering anything from the menu, knowing its cruelty free. I highly recommend the Crabby Platter, Tofu Fingers (I had the "Buffalo" type) and the Cheesish Dip (which is heavenly!!) Loved their store too.

Pros: VEGAN, Good prices, Fast and friendly service

Our Go-To Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Bean is our go-to vegan restaurant. We visit several times a month. Great food at great prices. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. First we eat our delicious meal and then we go to their vegan shop and get more delicious foods. Getting into the location is interesting sometimes but it is well worth it. Maybe one day they will expand and open another Bean closer to us in Hickory... then we may never leave!

Pros: Great Food, Great Prices, Wonderful staff

Love this place!!! - Edit

I have eaten at Bean lots of times and thought it was time to put up a review. :D Bean is a great place to get some awesome vegan food. I love all of the different burgers I have tried, especially the jalapeño-cheddar burger. Their french fries are also really good. There are so many choices and all are great. The staff is very friendly. Even though we live over an hour away, we make sure to stop in at least once every month (and most of the times way more than that). :D We also make sure to stop by the vegan store to get all the things we need. :D We really love this place, the food, and the people.

Pros: Excellent Food, Awesome Staff, Excellent Value

Awesome! - Edit

I have been here three times and each time has been an enjoyable experience. If you don't like things that are fried, this might not be the place for you, but greasy crunchy goodness is exactly what I enjoy in a meal. Their reuben is what made me fall in love

Pros: tasty!!, yummy, great food

Cons: this isn't a place to find raw food, impersonal staff

Tasty Carnitas - Edit

I enjoyed the carnitas during a recent trip to Charlotte. I would have never thought of cooking with Jackfruit but it was a tasty addition with a pleasant texture. Looking forward to coming back when I can try the Kitty Kat cake.

A bit of Southern soul - Edit

BEAN's niche is vegan food with a southern flair and they do it well. The jalapeño cheeseburger and fried squash are my absolute favorites -- I've ordered these several times and you just can't go wrong with either. The teriyaki tofu fingers are an unexpected pleasure. And definitely check out the market in the back -- a great selection of vegan staples and goodies!

Pros: Tasty southern-style food, Vegan market, Friendly staff

Cons: Unusual location

Surprise such good reviews - Edit

My husband and I were excited to try out this restaurant. We have tried many vegan/vegetarian restaurants around the US. I was very disappointed with the choices we ordered at this restuarant. We had the Crabbie Dip, that was extremely bland. My husband also ordered the Crabbie Patty sandwich, which was very bland as well. They had no crab taste at all. (unfortunately we ordered everything at the same time or he would have tried something different). I ordered the Jackfruit Taco's which had great texture from the jackfruit, but limited on taste. They put very little sour cream on them. Good thing for the salsa's spiciness. The tacos were our favorite of everything we ordered. All the sides were bland, and made homestyle (which I missed was the theme of the restaurant). We had the tator tot casserole which was very soggy no crunchiness like a tator tot usually has. I was excited to get vegan mash potatoes, but the excitement fizzled, the potatoes tasted funny, gravy was not my style. I usually love cabbage but was not impress with the braised cabbage. However, we did enjoy the grilled zucchini. I did talk to my daughter who had also dined there and she said she had the same experience with what they ordered at the restaurant. She said however, they ordered burgers to go and the burgers were excellent. If we get a chance may revisit to try the burgers.

Pros: nice atmosphere , good service

Cons: pricey for quality, bland food

So amazing!! - Edit

I just have to say I am so impressed with every food item they offer from the carrot bacon to the blue cheese dressing. I ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger and it was phenomenal, as well as the fried tofu fingers. Mac n cheese and the mashed potatoes with gravy aren't on the top of my liking but are okay. I will definitely be bringing my non vegan friends/family here.

awesome!!! we love this restaurant! - Edit

This is the best vegan restaurant! Wonderful and delicious choices (many glutenfree). We plan to visit every time we travel to Charlotte.
Located in a clean, casual setting. We enjoyed the family-friendly atmosphere and diverse clientele. Thank you!

Delicious! - Edit

My vegan family and I, and my non-vegan extended family, went to Bean a few times during our visit to Charlotte. We had a variety of dishes, including the Meatloaf, Ruben, and Pulled BBQ Sandwich. Our sides included the Mac and Cheese, Fried Yellow Squash, Red Beans and Rice, Tater Tot Casserole, Steamed Kale, and the Cornbread (which came with the meatloaf). We tried the Fried tofu fingers (the BBQ or Teriyaki Sauce), and the Fried Pickles. Both appetizers come with either vegan ranch or blue cheese (the blue cheese is full of flavor and delicious!). The Meatloaf and the Ruben were both popular dishes with our crowd, but the BBQ Sandwich was okay at best. NONE of the side dishes were favorites, but were edible. The appetizers were AMAZING, and alone, deserve a 5 star rating for the restaurant! Fried pickles were a hit, and the Fried Tofu (Teriyaki was my favorite) made a believer of even the non-believers! Even knowing that the side dishes weren't the best (lacked flavor . . . and mac and cheese was one of the LEAST convincing vegan versions I have ever tasted), we went back multiple times during our stay to get more! One of the better vegan choices in Charlotte!

Pros: Amazing Appetizers, Great Fried Pickles!, Delicious Fried Tofu!

Cons: Mediocre Side Dishes

If you stay in Charlotte you MUST go there! - Edit

I visited BEAN twice on a business trip last year. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. The staff was extraordinary friendly and helpful. I had the Old Fashioned Cheeseburger and Jalapeno Cheddar Burger - both were really awesome.

Pros: excellent food

Cons: location

Bean Vegan - Edit

This place did not resonate with me. First I think the place is an old mexican restaurant and could really use a makeover. It just felt sterile and out of place. Maybe it was me.

Second the menu was loaded with faux-meat, sandwiches, and overly prepared dishes. I did not not see very many fresh whole food offerings.

(Aside) Maybe the thinking is when someone is going out they want something inventive and unique. I see that perspective. However, as someone that used to each meat for 40 years I don't get the appeal of pretend meat food and an over reliance on sandwiches. It kind of defeats the purpose for me. (End Aside)

So I tried the jackfruit tacos. The jackfruit was bland, my first experience. The seasoning was decent. The taco dressing/grilled veggies were good. One of the two sides I ordered were the collard greens, which were amazing. The collard greens give me hope when I return. I don't remember the other side.

Portion size was large. Prices were a little high. Service was friendly and attentive.

Pros: vegan, inventive/expansive menu, friendly people

Cons: prices, overly prepared foods, ambiance

Most Excellent - Edit

I love a great vegan restaurant.
Although I have had better at other places, good vegan is hard to find. This is good vegan, it hits the spot and tastes good. I liked my food and was glad to eat it.
If definitely recommend and I will be back

Pros: Decent Selection, Good Tasting, Nice Atmosphere

Cons: A Tad Pricey, Not The Very Very Best, Sometimes You Have To Do A U Turn

Comfort Food! - Edit

This place offers delicious comfort food. I had the country fried patties with collards greens and mac-n-cheez. My husband got the bacon cheeseburger with kale. Both items were fabulous and hit the spot in our hungry tummies. The country fried patties had a nice, crispy breading and the gravy was the perfect touch. My meal also came with a corn bread muffin which was scrumptious with agave drizzled on top (I asked for the agave). Both plates came out super fast and we both inhaled our food in record time. I wish this place was in my hometown because I'd visit there every week. My husband said it was his favorite restaurant!

Pros: Delicious, Fast, Friendly Staff

Bean Vegan Cuisine - Edit

A friend of mine told me about this place and my boyfriend and I checked it out. I had the pulled barbecue sandwich which was pretty good. Tasted just like the real thing. My boyfriend had the BLT and liked it as well. It was pretty cool.

Pros: food tastes similiar to real meat, quick service

Cons: food needed more flavor, staff wasn't the greatest

amazing! something for everyone - Edit

I've been on a number of times and I loved everything I tried. Great food, decent beer, selection, nice peaceful atmosphere, friendly servers. I would take anyone - even non-veg - without a question. Delicious!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, fresh and healthy

Cons: a little pricey for casual, location a bit difficult to get to

bean - Edit

We had a great experience at Bean! The staff was very friendly. There was a wide variety of menu selections. We all shared "meat"loaf, "bacon and cheese" burger and a pulled "pork" sandwich. All three were delicious and came with tasty sides as well. Dessert was great also - a kit kat cake and some fresh out of the oven cookies to go. Next time we're in Charlotte we will definitely be heading back!

Pros: unique atmosphere, tasty all vegan menu, friendly staff

Great home cooking! - Edit

Had two great meals at Bean while visiting Charlotte. Food was excellent and nicely plated. Very friendly and welcoming staff. Had the jackfruit bbq sandwich with slaw, tatertot casserole, mac & cheese, meatloaf and potatoes, cheesecake and kitkat cake. Ate every bite and practically licked my plate. Will definitely eat there again on future visits!!

Pros: Great comfort food, Friendly staff, Good selection

Cons: Location a little hard to get to

Awesome Vegan Eats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Edit

I Love bean!!! It makes the transition to vegan easy with familiar comfort foods that I love served in a comfortable atmosphere and at a fair price. Living in Asheville, NC is a vegan dissapointment so I always am excited to stop at BEAN when I am flying out of the Charlottoe Airport. I wish I could eat at BEAN every night. Maybe the Vegan Eats Fairy will wave a wand and make a BEAN appear in Ahseville one day. IT IS MUCH NEEDED

Pros: Great Vegan Food, Friendlly Staff, Private Room for Parties

Just to DIE for... - Edit

Since the day Bean opened, it's been my favorite restaurant. It isn't just my favorite place to eat in Charlotte; eating there is one of my favorite things to *do* in Charlotte. Everything I've eaten there has been nothing short of fantastic, and there's no shortage of new specials to try every time I walk through the doors. All the servers who've waited on me have been friendly and helpful, never so much as allowing my glass to be empty. The owners always come to check and see how we're doing. You can't ask for better service, and you definitely won't find better vegan comfort food anywhere within reasonable driving distance. I used to love going to Atlanta for the wide variety of vegan establishments. Now when I go to Atlanta, I can't wait to get home and eat at Bean again.

There are other good restaurants in Charlotte, whether they be all-vegan or just very vegan-friendly, but make no mistake: Bean blows them all out of the water. My only complaint is that no other place is as good!

And that's all at a great value. I don't know how anyone could start a review of Bean with "for the price." The prices are pretty much identical to, if not cheaper than, any casual dining restaurant. Anyone who's been eating out for less has been eating fast food. I've lost count of how many times I've gone in for a vegan, fresh, and delicious meal (not for "plate presentation"), and I have never been disappointed.

Pros: VEGAN, Everything is delicious., GREAT value

Yummy food for your burger day - Edit

I came here once each week after they had openend (and before I had to leave the area for good). I tried all the burger/sandwich options and they were all very, very good. And the salad (full plate) was also outstanding, always fresh, yummy and some extras (like strawberries). The salte potatoes were also yummy and cooked well. Place was mostly empty when I came but Satursday afternoon is possibly not the best eating time but the manager/owner assured me that business is doing really well.

Even non vegans will love this restaurant! - Edit

We had the crabby dip and quesadilla starters , bratwurst with carmelized cabbage ( cabbage was outstanding!) and zucchini, fresh fruit with vegan whipped cream. All were very tasty! Open on Sunday, which was a plus. Highly recommend. We are newbies to vegan cuisine and were pleasantly surprised. Knowledgeable staff, clean place too.

Pros: Great food, Knowledgeable staff, Clean, friendly

Score!! - Edit

Just dined at the Bean with some friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed our choice. I tried the rueben sandwich with kale and had the tofu buffalo fingers as a starter. So yummy! Can't wait to try the Jackfruit tacos next time. Our waiter Nicholas, was also very kind and helpful. Yay Charlotte!!!

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Ambience

Can't wait to go back! - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised with the food at Bean. I had the Buffalo Fingers and a side of Kale and loved it. Really enjoyed their Ranch and Blue Cheese dressings, too. My husband who is Pescatarian and his friend (a meat eater) also loved their food. In fact the meat eater's son is flying in from Italy and he can't wait to take him to Bean...and his son is also a meat eater. Great casual vegan restaurant that I wish would franchise and open in my hometown!

Pros: Yummy Food

Cons: Not in my hometown

Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

a limited menu done well. the ruben was stellar, and the mac&cheez was really different: tender and flavorful w/o being a gloppy mess of just vegan cheese- nutritional yeast adds tang. dining comapanion had the crabby cake sandwich with salty potatoes and as a non-vegan declared both items full of flavor and something they would order again. i'm not a sweets person but did share a few bites of the kit kat cake- many many layers of crushed club crackers w/ peanut butter topped with a rich chocolate ganache. looking forward to an expanded menu after the official grand opening. will return often to support this local restaurant; i'm super stoked NOT to have to ask a million questions about ingredients and to have a place for vegan dishes i don't make at home. one negative: laptop & messy papers, phones and caps on the bar in the dining room. move it to the back where it belongs, even between peak service times!!

Pros: taste, price, fair portions

Cons: location, limited menu

Needs improvement - Edit

For the price the plate needs more presentation. The waitstaff needs to be more knowledgeable about the foods they are serving. I did like the jackfruit carnitas. The parking lot was filling up with customers by the time we were leaving so it shows that there is an interest in vegan food so kudos to anyone desiring to monopolize on that, I just hope they make some improvements.

Pros: It's a vegan restaurant, Jackfruit carnitas look like pulled pork

Cons: Not much flavor, Not a good value, Staff didn't appear professional

OK - Edit

I had been looking forward to the opening and was then a little disappointed. Our server was friendly when we first arrived but After that did not seem to have time for us even though there were almost as many staff as customers. Menu did not give any info about the few items listed And the server did not offer any info in fact the table behind us did ask several questions and she then complained to us about it and I am sure they could hear her. I was surprised when my sandwich arrived on a big ol white bun. I will give them another chance though

Pros: Healthy

Cons: Server

Return to Charlotte Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bean Vegan Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12373 times since Apr 2012.