Bean Vegan Cuisine

Contact 828-483-6505

2145-A Hendersonville Rd, Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28704

It's 2nd location, opened Apr 2015. Vegan restaurant in South Asheville specializing in southern comfort foods. Open Mon 11:30am-8:00pm, Wed-Fri 11:30am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by geocacher

The best - Edit

The fried pickles. Seriously.
Everything here is amazing. The crabby patty burger is probably my favorite lunch/dinner entree, and it's everything you want it to be.
Staff is super friendly, and there's a little section of stuff you can bring home. This is where I got the follow your heart vegan egg before my friends in Atlanta could, and it was probably the first and only new vegan product I could ever try before they did. They also have those Joker faux-snickers bars that I love.
So I feel like I have to address the pictures they have on their website. They really need new ones. I looked at those pictures, toggled back to the menu, and then back to the pictures for the longest time before I felt like I could give this place a shot. I did not regret it. You will not regret going here.

Pros: Best vegan junk food omg, Seriously their fried pickles, Their staff is amazing but they work here so duh

Cons: Those pictures on their website really need to go

You are going to love it - Edit

I was traveling on business and I was looking for a local place that offered healthy food. I am working on being a vegetarian but my wife does not believe that you can have dinner without meat – it’s going to take a while.
Bean Vegan is the first vegan restaurant that I have been that I would feel comfortable taking non-vegan friends and family to, to show them that no one has to die for you to eat a great meal. I didn’t know what to order so I asked what the server would recommend. She was very friendly and made several suggestions which I followed. I had a great quinoa burger that was spicy and delicious. I will go back to Bean Vegan anytime that I am in the area.

Pros: Great selection of comfort food options, Food options for everyone, Friendly and helpful staff

Cons: Drive entrance is a little steep.

LOVE YOU BEAN CUISINE! - Edit

Almost the only thing I miss about Asheville is Bean. The food, the staff, the endless coffee, THE DESSERTS! The reuben remains one of the best I've ever tried. And I'm talking nationwide. It's good, y'all!

Pros: BREAKFAST, STAFF, EVERYTHING ELSE

Cons: NOT 24/7!!

Absolutely delicious - Edit

I found this restaurant while visiting Asheville and I am so glad I did. Bean Cuisine is the first all vegan restaurant I've ever been to and it was so refreshing being able to order anything I wanted without worrying about what was really in it. :D
I ordered the Tofu finger platter which came with two sides, so I chose the mac & cheese and the mashed potatoes & gravy and for dessert I tried the Kitty Kat Cake. It was all incredible and I cant wait to visit again and try something different.

Pros: all vegan options, gluten free options

Love, love, love - Edit

Oh my god! I love this place. I ordered the BBQ Tofu Bowl and loved every perfect bite! I can't wait to go back. I'd like to think that I might try something else, but that bowl was perfection! I also got some goodies and a t-shirt while I was there.
The service was pretty slow, but once I got my food all was forgiven!
I'm even using a picture of myself in front of Bean as my avatar.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-28

Pros: They know how to make tofu!, Sells a small selection of vegan merchandise, Good value

Vegan Junk Food Done Right - Edit

We loved this place so much we ate there twice in one day. My favorite out of everything we tried was the fishless sandwich. It was perfect. The flavor, the texture, the bun, loved it! Also really enjoyed my BBQ sandwich. They have an extensive all vegan menu and the staff was all great. I also like their little grocery selection in the front. We bought vegan candy bars to take to a movie later that day.
Highly recommend! We'll be back next time we're in town for sure.

Pros: great food, easy to park, nice staff

Bean - Edit

I don't normally write reviews but after four days of travel with 9 meat eaters, this place was a God send. The meatloaf, mashed potatoes and side salad were delicious!! I plan to go back each time I visit Asheville. It's better than Laughing Seed.

Very good - Edit

Liked what we got. Both the vegans and the omnivores in our group were satisfied. Will be back on our next visit.

Pros: Vegan comfort food, Appealing to both vegans and non-vegans

Cons: Service was a little slow

Yummy comfort food - Edit

We went several times while we were in Asheville. Bean has a great menu for any time of day. They have a lot of options, even for people with gluten sensitivities. Our favorite things were the queso dip, the fried pickles, the sides, and the desserts. I tried their cheesecake and their carrot cake cupcakes (both gluten free) - absolutely delicious. If you're in the area, at the very least go for dessert!

Another plus is the pet friendly outdoor patio. Our pup even got her own water while we ate.

Pros: All vegan!, Clearly labeled gluten free items , Great staff

yummm! - Edit

Food: 9/10. Generally loved it, so much so my husband and I went two days in a row.

Price: 7/10. Pricey, but at the same time it's pretty big portions.

Atmosphere: 7/10. Cozy enough but not super decorated or particularly unique.

Staff: 9/10. Friendly.

Pros: all vegan, big portions, easy parking

Cons: not too cheap

Exactly what I was looking for. - Edit

I could eat here every day. My husband and I were visiting for a few days and we kept coming back here -- it was so good! They have all the comfort food I've missed and it was delicious and cheap. The breakfast menu is amazing. Our server was really lovely as well! We can't wait to come back :)

Pros: Great service, Cheap, large portions, So yummy

Vegan fast food! Lovely staff. :-) - Edit

I went for lunch with my daughter. I was a quiet time of day and we were in a hurry.The waiter was very helpful and had our food quickly and made small talk after. She was so nice to us that I wish I could remember her name to give her a shout out on this forum.

The food was great. This is not a raw vegan restaurant, it is comfort food at its finest! You will not leave hungry.

Pros: Great staff, good location, Good value

one word: AMAZING! - Edit

The food is made in site by a wonderful,friendly,and knowledgeable staff. THEY offer both breakfast and lunch/dinner menus. In addition to their great food, they also have a limited(but growing) number of grocery items that you can purchase to go.Among them are Charlie's homem bean jerky and three pepper cheese.Additionally Charlie is one of the only authorized sellers of follow your hearts vegan eggs. if you live a plant based life and have not tried these,wait no more.These are amazing! Long Nd short of it Bean offers great comfort food at reasonable prices in a warm ,cozy atmosphere.Drop by and see them.PS they are currently closed on Tuesdays.BON APPETITE.

Pros: ALL VEGAN MENU REASONABLE PRICES GREAT ATMOSPHERE

Cons: CLOSED TUESDAY

Great When You Want to Have a Treat Meal - Edit

This all vegan restaurant is my favorite place to go when I want to have a big, decadent breakfast with all the fixings that is still vegan-friendly. It is far from health food if that's what you are seeking but it is oh so good! I love the Breakfast Bowl with some gravy on the side and the Jalapeno Burger is truly delicious!

Pros: All Vegan Comfort Food, Plenty of Parking, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not the Most Healthy

Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

I LOVE Bean. My kids and I took my husband for his birthday and we all ordered a different sandwich. Everything was great. The jalapeno burger is pretty much the best burger ever. We also ordered a fried pickle appetizer. This was my 1st experience with fried pickles and I was more than pleased. They were very tasty.

The employees were really friendly and chatty. We enjoyed our overall experience at Bean and recommend it to all!

****Also, the food isn't "healthy." It's fried and salty and is exactly what it's supposed to be. I don't detract from a rating due to that. If I wanted super healthy and/or raw food/salads, I'd go to the appropriate establishment. If I want a burger and fries, Bean is the place! ;)

Pros: Great options, Delicious, Friendly

Friendly Comfort Food - Edit

We ordered Bean's Thanksgiving feast catering. They serve hearty southern comfort food, which was just what we Georgians wanted for our holiday meal. The food was good; we enjoyed the vegan brie (we topped with Bean's cranberry sauce, wrapped it up in a crescent roll sheet, and baked it-- yum!), curry squash soup, and the green bean casserole. The staff was very accommodating when ordering over the phone, and friendly at pickup. We'd love to eat here in-house next time!

Pros: Friendly, Tasty comfort food

Vegan, but beware - Edit

I applaud the owners for bringing their vegan restaurant to Asheville. However, the menu is mostly loaded with oil and salt laden dishes. Their mission is provide vegan southern 'comfort' food, but just beware of the high calories and less than healthy dishes with deep-frying and added salt and/or sugar. I also object to their selling and allowing a big name cola company in their restaurant as it seems contradictory to a vegan mission.

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Not completely healthy, High caloric dishes

Love Bean - Edit

I love Bean because it is 100% vegan. I can order anything on the menu. The food is good but it is not low calorie. Among my favorites are the Cowboy Burger, the 'meatloaf', and the Reuben. My favorite side is the fried yellow squash.

And now Bean is serving breakfast. I've tried the 'everything' bowl and the waffle with tofu strips. Both were good.

My only wish is that they were located closer to downtown Asheville so that I can eat there more often.

Pros: 100% vegan, Affordable, Variety of dishes

Cons: Not low calorie

Delicious! - Edit

I have been to this restaurant twice now with my mom and both times were marvelous. This is typical diner food, southern comfort food, and basic sandwiches and burgers, but all foods here are flavorful and have an artisan quality.
It also has outdoor seating, so I brought my pup.

Pros: Delicious and universal flavors, open for brunch, lunch, and dinner

Cons: high calorie content

LOVE IT - Edit

Have not been to this location yet as we live in Charlotte but Good old Charlie makes the BEST deserts and fried pickles. Menu is the same here as it is at the Charlotte one - burgers, fries and not a good place if you are on a diet BUT at least it's great food AND run by an ethical Vegan so you can't beat that.

Pros: Chocolate, Burgers, Pickles

Cons: Some raw food might be nice

I Recommend Bean - Edit

Bean is NOT a restaurant I could eat at several times a week. Not because of the taste or quality of the food or anything like that, but rather because this is HIGH-calorie vegan food! BUT, all of the main courses my family has had have been delicious: King Burger, Jalapeño Cheddar Burger, Bacon Cheeseburger, Southern Fingers and Waffles, and Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos. A vegan guilty pleasure of sorts! The ONLY downside of the menu is (in my opinion): the sides tend towards being rather bland and un-flavorful. Regardless, I highly recommend Bean as a guilty pleasure (to vegans), and as a good place to bring non-vegan friends and family who are used tasty, high-calorie meals. We are happy to have Bean proximate!

Pros: delicious entrees, good staff, speedy service

Cons: somewhat bland side dishes, high calorie vegan food

ultimate comfort food - Edit

My favorite new place! Our server was really friendly and knowledgable. I highly recommend the fried pickles and buffalo tofu fingers. The people I was with had meatloaf, jackfruit tacos, and the jalapeño cheddar burger. Everyone loved what they had, and we were a mix of vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters. This is total comfort food- deep fried goodness. I look forward to going again next time I'm in Asheville!

Made-to-order Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

"Burgers",crabby cakes and BBQ, Oh!My! Delicious and filling sides like Tater Tot Casserole, Cole Slaw, Red Beans & Rice. Also, Fried Pickles and rich,delicious desserts. A Killer breakfast brunch on weekends. All minus any animal products and totally cruelty free!! Take a carnist friend and let them see how good Vegan food can be when done RIGHT!!

Pros: quality of food, prices, independently owned

Cons: location (but worth the drive)

Awesome food. Fair prices. Excellent!!! - Edit

Really impressive vegan place. Would love to see one of these open up downtown Asheville as well.

Thank you Bean for coming to Asheville.

Pros: Amazing food, very good value, friendly staff

Cons: would like to see a wine and beer list

Good food - Edit

I went to Bean last weekend and the staff were very friendly. They have great options on the menu. I got the breakfast bowl which had carrot bacon, "cheesy grits", potato hash etc. The portion sizes are large! which is great, they do not cheat you out of your food.

BEAN Vegan Cuisine - Edit

Bean is a 100% vegan restaurant. We went with non-vegetarian friends and they were impressed and happy with their meals. The food is moderately priced and very tasty.

Pros: Healthy,delicious, plant based food., Good value, generous portions., Knowledgeable, friendly staff.

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bean Vegan Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4333 times since May 2015.