CLOSED: Bay Leaf

503-232-7058

4768 SE Division St (at SE 47th St, Richmond District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97206

Dishes are prepared from fresh vegetables and some soy protein: sizzling tofu, mushroom crisps, lotus root delux, eggplant with garlic sauce; also organic tea, smoothies, vegan cakes, and more. Mostly vegan except some honey and dairy products used in the desserts and other menu. DEC 2013 REPORTED SHUT, phone and web not working.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Organic, Take-out, Asian

First Review by ChristinaZ

Vegan Chow Mein! no more Panda Express!! - Edit

Wow. AH-mayzing!! Slow service kinda but great food as always.

Pros: food, location , variety

Cons: slow service

Horrible service - Edit

The old Asian lady who I assume was the manager was so incredibly rude, my friend found a hair in his food and she accused it of being his. I did not get food the way I ordered it, and the service was overall atrocious. There might be some good food there, but I am never returning.

Pros: The aptmosphere was great, The tea was delicious

Cons: Rude/ rigid staff, The food I got was horrible, Hair in food

Really great food - Edit

Great food and service. They were able to make my Thai tea with vegan milk & I had a great sweet and sour dish with tofu. yum.

Pros: Vegan Thai Tea, Great Service, Excellent Food

Cons: Street Parking

heathera75 24 Mar 2013 - Are you sure you are thinking of the right place?
This place is more chinese food than Thai, also there is a pretty good size parking lot. Maybe you are mixed up with Vege Thai in Hawthorne?

Large portions of tasty food - Edit

Bay Leaf offers a varied menu of appetizers, soups, salads, 18 entrees and desserts. Plus there's a beverage bar that serves a vast variety of teas. Entrees are large, tasty, well presented and have great sauces. Service is friendly, and food is served in a reasonable amount of time. Bay Leaf seats 62 in the main dining area, and has two side rooms; one for large parties that seats 16 and one consisting of 6 two place tables. The restaurant is clean and uncluttered, with a somewhat spartan interior, which doesn't do anything to soften the noise level. With 1/3 of the tables occupied, the noise level was acceptable, but could become uncomfortable with a full house. The restrooms are large and well supplied. Bay Leaf has its own parking lot, along with street parking.

Pros: good menu, very good food, prompt service

Cons: a bit noisy

Some Light at The End of The Tunnel - Edit

I have eaten at Bay Leaf a few times and overall found the menu to be uninspiring and the service marginal at best. The dishes are hit and miss with some being deliscious and others resembling a mixture of oatmeal and baby food (peas). On my most recent visit with my youngest daughter I was pleasantly suprised with how efficient and courteous the staff was. Not only that, the food was brought out pipping hot and our dishes were promptly cleared. It is a bit creepy the way the man and woman (owners?) stand over by the "bar" area and give non-verbal cues via scowl and head rolls to the staff but if that is what it takes to get the service and food we had that night then so be it.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 09, 2008

Pros: ample parking, good service, vegan

Cons: not organic, boring menu, no free tea

Everything from Bay Leaf is excellent - Edit

I've eaten at Bay Leaf multiple times, always ordering different dishes, and everything is really excellent. The owners are very nice, and the atmosphere is quite pleasant. Bay Leaf never seems to be very busy when I go in (it's a little out of the way, so maybe that's why), but it's definitely one of the best vegan restaurants in Portland, and definitely the best serving Asian cuisine.

If you have the time, you should definitely stop by.

Pros: Quality, Portion-size is very large, Nice ambience

Cons: Locations a bit out of the way

Lettuce Wraps are TO DIE FOR! :) - Edit

I tried the lettuce wraps and green curry. Everyone at the table agreed the lettuce wraps were unique, fresh and not one bit short on taste.

Pros: great food, healthy, good value

Great food! - Edit

I have tried many dishes from the Bay Leaf and loved all but the corn chowder(?). The Sesame Tofu and China Jade fried rice are my favorites as well as the Papaya salad and asparagus soup... clean,quiet and freindly.

Friendly Staff - Edit

The thing that stands out to me most about my visit to Bay Leaf was the wonderful, personal service. It was fairly empty at the time we visited, and the staff was very interactive, joking around and offering suggestions.

First we had appetizers of peanuts and edamame and tried not to make too much of a mess. We had tea and smoothies, all very good.

The food was excellent. I had the China Jade Fried Rice and it was fantastic. I had leftovers which were very good the next day! The people I went with all enjoyed their entrees as well, and we all shared. The flavors were complex and light.

We had absolutely decadent dessert.

I definitely can't wait to visit again. It's a bit far away for us, so I don't get out there as often as I do to many other restaurants in Portland, but I'm sure I'll make the trip soon!

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Service, Many Vegan Options

Authentic Chinese Vegetarian Cuisine - Edit

I'm of Chinese descent and this restaurant serves authentic Chinese vegetarian food. They were yummy! Mu shiu vegetables were great. I couldn't get enough of the pickled mustard veggie and pine mushrooms. The mushroom crips were good too. For dessert, the avocado shake was awesome. Atmosphere was nice too. Great place to hang out with family and friends.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice music, Pleasing decoration

Very enjoyable - Edit

We had a lovely meal at Bay Leaf very recently. It may not have been the best Asian vegetarian we've ever had, but it certainly came close. The vegetable noodle dish was extremely good, and so was the eggplant with garlic. I liked the hot and sour soup very much, though I've had better. Overall, a worthwhile place to visit. Really warrants somewhere between four and five cows, but I'll err on the side of generosity on this occasion.

Outstanding Vegan - Edit

We recently became Vegan because of an almost failed quintuple bypass on my part. I was not going to let them cut on me again. We liked what expert medical researchers have said about vegan food and restoring heart functions. So we first found that Vegan stopped my angina. Then we needed to find Portland restaurants serving vegan foods. First we tried the Sweet Tomato in Clackamas, which has a very good vegetable bar. Then two of our adult children and myself wanted to take my wife out for an early Morther's Day
lunch. The Happy Cow came up with the solution-BAY LEAF RESTAURANT. We tried it after reading all the reviews. FANTASTIC! Not only do they have a most pleasant clean atmosphere, but they are gracious in dealing with customers. Secondly, when we received our order after just a few minutes, we were absolutely amazed. Each plate served on our various vegan orders was artistically laid out in a style only expected to be found in high priced restaurants. Once we started eating the food we found it to be a true delight to the taste buds. Our daughter immediately said she was going to start bringing her friends there. We and our adult son will return again and again. Parking is very good. We were surprised there was not a waiting line to get in to enjoy this quality food, service and interior. Go there to experience exquisite reasonably priced vegan fair.

Pros: Outstanding food, Easy acces and parking, Quality presentation of food

Awesome Place! - Edit

How do more people not know about this place. We first went there on Valentine's Day, and didn't even require a reservation, although by the time we left the place filled up. Very clean, nice decor, simple. Off-street parking is a major bonus. I HIGHLY recommend the Sesame Tofu, a sweet and sour fried tofu with just the right amount of fried breading surrounded by perfectly steamed broccoli. I have been back since then and found the servers to be polite and friendly. I love this place! The only thing I didn't like were the dumplings, I was expecting more of a fluffy bread dumpling but it was more of a noodle and just like the ones I buy at the store in the frozen section.

Pros: Sesame Tofu, Affordable, Friendly

Cons: Dumplings

mediocre pan-asian vegan food - Edit

Ate there tonite, and was utterly disappointed. Really near my soon to be new home so I was hoping for some good vegan food, but it was all just so blah. The seaweed salad was tiny and one that could be picked up at a nearby asian grocery for a fraction of the price. The entree I got had a really nasty aftertaste that didn't want to leave your mouth for a long time. The prices are pretty high for low quality food, I've been to vegan pan-asian all-you-can-eat buffets for a little more than half the price of an entree here that while they were mediocre in their own right, blew this out of the water. Avoid at all costs.

Pros: clean

Cons: bland food, over-priced, small portions for the money

Excellent Food, Wonderful Atmosphere, Great Value! - Edit

My wife and I both love Bay Leaf. The food is excellent and beautifully presented, the restaurant's atmosphere is clean, quiet, and pleasant. The service is great. You can tell that everything is prepared with great care. Lunch is a great value. For $5.95 you get a generous portion: soup, rice (choice of white or a mixture of brown and red rice), and your main course.

Our favorites are the spinach eggplant and the sesame tofu. Everything tastes fresh, with wonderful flavors. The hot and sour soup, the comes with the lunch special, is amazing! Probably the best hot and sour soup I ever had.

I am a vegan, but you don't have to be a vegan or vegetarian to appreciate the excellent food at Bay Leaf. We have brought many non-vegetarian friends and family and they all love the food

One of our favorites in Portland. I highly recommend it!

Pros: excellent food, friendly service and great atmosphere, good value

Amazing :) Vegan Food - Edit

My husband a ( non vegan ) and my self a vegan went to Bay Leaf today it is the cleanest and the most relaxing enviorment the food was delish :) I would recommend it to anyone try their strawberry shakes and their fried tofu

We both loved it

Pros: clean, great food, nice staff

Great Thai Restaurant/Amazing Vegan Dishes - Edit

My son (a vegan) and his wife took me (a vegan) and my wife out to the Bay Leaf in Portland where my son and family live. We had an extraordinary meal. Every dish was beautifully presented and all the sauces were subtle and distinct. We all loved it. The owners were warm and clearly love presenting fabulous vegan dishes to their customers. We can't say enough about this place. A real find.

Pros: Great dishes, Great Service, Reasonable prices

Cons: Place should have been packed., Too large a space perhaps

Where is everybody? - Edit

Went to eat lunch today for the first time and we had spring rolls, hot and sour soup, Veggie Delight Noodles and Sesame Tofu. Everything was delicious and the restaurant was beautiful. Portions are large and we had enough food to bring home for dinner.

We got there at 12:30 and there was one person leaving and one person eating alone. We got excited to one group of three come in later and before we left a couple came in. Is it because it's a little pricey or is it because Portland has so many vegan friendly restaurants? It was nice to have an option besides a cult run chinese veg restaurant. We'll definatly go back but we need more people to go so they don't close or turn it into a meat friendly restaurant!

Pros: Parking, Large Portions, Lots of options

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bay Leaf closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.