Bay Leaf Cafe

Contact 605-642-5462

126 W Hudson St, Spearfish, South Dakota, USA, 57783

Serves meat, vegan options available. Eclectic menu offers vegetarian and vegan options including an original black bean burger and some tempeh dishes; try the falafels. The friendly staff and its bright and light decor is a nice combination to enjoy a relaxed meal.

Category: Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by nitro68

awesome veg options in South Dakota - Edit

Fabulous restaurant just off the main street in Spearfish, SD. They are extremely accommodating to vegans and even substitute tofu or tempeh in entrees. The food was delicious. For desert they had a brandy, apple, walnut pie that was great.

Pros: vegan options, outdoor seating, dog friendly

Charming Experience - Edit

My friend, his uncle (non-vegetarian) and I stopped in at the Bay Leaf Cafe for dinner on our way to Deadwood, SD. The restaurant has a very welcoming decor; very esthetically pleasing with interesting artwork on the walls.

As was mentioned in the earliest review, below, the wait staff is happy to accommodate vegetarian and vegan requests and requirements. While my dinner-mates both ordered the burger (black bean variety, if I recall) I needed some greens in me and ordered the "Salad Nicoise" substituting slices of grilled tempeh for the meat listed in the menu.

We were all enjoying our meals when, to our surprise, a young girl begins to play magnificently on the piano behind us.

We were enjoying ourselves so much that, recalling carrot cake being listed on the menu, we had to share a slice. Sure, I adore carrot cake, but I also wanted an excuse to stay a little longer. The cake was superb!

The price was reasonable. $17 before tip for my meal and the dessert - plus the free live piano!

If ever in the black hills region again I will likely stop into the Bay Leaf Cafe once again.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Will accommodate vegans , Local and fresh

Cons: Limited for vegans w/out modifications

Friendly Place - Edit

I checked happycow.net before I left WI for SD and I'm glad I did. I had their number with me, so I could place a vegan meal order "togo" and pick it up before they closed at 8pm. They even had a vegan dessert.

Pros: Quality Food, Good Portions

Cons: Could Use a Few More Vegan Options

Wonderful! - Edit

Excellent little restaurant in an area where they are hard to come by. A couple vegan options and more vegetarian ones. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Just tell them you're vegan and they will help you.

Pros: excellent food, great staff, large portions

Return to Spearfish Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bay Leaf Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1149 times since Aug 2007.