Basil Thai

Contact 805-238-9945

828 11th St, Paso Robles, California, USA, 93446

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai restaurant with some veg options including a veggie platter appetizer, fried rice, noodle with mock duck. Large interior. Note: Some vegetarian dishes may contain fish sauce, check first before ordering.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Jessi F.

Should Not Be on Happy Cow - Edit

None of the curries can be made without fish sauce, which is very unusual. For a Thai restaurant, there are VERY limited veggie or vegan options.

Pros: Nice wine list comprised of local CA wines

Cons: Not veggie friendly!!

Mislabeled menu: "vegetarian" - Edit

I've been to this restaurant three or four times, each visit when I was passing through the area. Some of the food here is pretty good, and it's one of the few restaurants in the area that I know of where you can get anything vegetarian. I like that you can get tofu here and the food quality is generally good. It's a nice location and a nice looking restaurant. HOWEVER, please note that many of the things labeled "vegetarian" are not truly vegetarian because they contain fish sauce. For example, on a recent visit (Sept 2011), we were informed that the tofu satay appetizer and the tom kah soup can't be made without fish sauce, even through the menu says that both can be made vegetarian. We had already ordered these and only found out when we asked if the pad thai (which didn't specify vegetarian on the menu) had fish sauce (it did). When we then said we didn't want the soup and appetizer we ordered, the server acted inconvenienced and lectured us a bit... I think the encounter was more indicative of the individual than of the restaurant, so I won't get into the details (we had great service on other visits), but the real moral of the story is: Always ask whether something has fish sauce here before you order it (if you are vegetarian and that sort of thing is important to you), even if it's labeled "vegetarian" on the menu. Unfortunately, the truly vegetarian options here become much more limited in this process, but there are still several good choices.

Pros: good food quality

Cons: mislabeling on menu

2 Responses

Return to Paso Robles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Basil Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1043 times since Feb 2010.