Baracoando

Antonio Maceo 96 (at Mariana Grajales), Baracoa, Cuba

A vegetarian restaurant run from the back garden of the owner's house, where some of the ingredients for the meals are grown. Has vegan options. There is no set menu and what is served is just what the owner has made that day and dependent on what ingredients are available at the time. There is an option of 5 or 8 dishes as a meal. Food is a mixture of salads and cooked dishes some of which are in the local Baracoan style. Fruit juice is provided with the meal. No alcohol is available but you can bring your own. Reservations are taken until 6pm, although the kitchen may stay open longer depending on the number of guests. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Western, Baracoan

First Review by dunky

the only vegan place in Cuba - Edit

But the time I arrived to Baracoa, after travelling the island from west to east, I already gave up finding vegetarian food, not to mention vegan. I found this place by accident, I was there about 7pm and the business was closed, but I met Mr Arisitides, the gentleman behind it and he agreed to make dinner just for me despite being late.
All products are fresh, sustainable, you can eat your plate if you wish -made of a big leave. If I were to return to Cuba, I'll go to Baracoa just because I want to support this place, someone daring to open a vegetarian-vegan restaurant in Cuba must be hero.

p.s. I visited this place in March 2016, by that time there really was not any vegetarian restaurant anywhere in Cuba (I heard of a Buddhist monastery but too far away from Havana). Maybe things have changed now.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-04

Pros: Inexpensive, Environmentally friendly

vegan food in Baracoa - Edit

We found this place by accident as the owner was handing out fliers for it in the town. It is not so easy finding vegan choices in Cuba so to find this place was great as the owner is vegan himself. The food is just what has been prepared that day but we were given a range of dishes all quite different to each other. The food was very tasty and there was enough that we were full by the end of the meal. We liked it enough that we went back the next day when nearly all the dishes were different. We'd go back again if we are ever back in Baracoa.

Pros: friendly, helpful owner, good value, good food

Cons: no menu to choose from

Return to Baracoa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Baracoando closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.