Baracoando

Flor Crombet 9 Interior, Cerca de Via Azul, Baracoa, Cuba

A vegetarian restaurant run from the back garden of the owner's house, where some of the ingredients for the meals are grown. Has vegan options. There is no set menu and what is served is just what the owner has made that day and dependent on what ingredients are available at the time. There is an option of 5 or 8 dishes as a meal. Food is a mixture of salads and cooked dishes some of which are in the local Baracoan style. Fruit juice is provided with the meal. No alcohol is available but you can bring your own. Reservations are required and taken until 6pm, although the kitchen may stay open longer depending on the number of guests. Relocated from Antonio Maceo 96. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, International, Western, Baracoan

First Review by dunky

Vegan food, family atmosphere, great food and lovely owner - Edit

I visited the restaurant in July 2017 two times. After the hurricane in 2016 the owner needed to move the restaurant. The address changed to: Flor Crombet 9 Interior, cerca de Via Azul, Baracoa (please see uploaded screenshots), Tel. 21644008 or 52589319 for reservations, it is not a "normal restaurant" you need to tell the owner when you plan to come, then he will prepare a beautiful meal for you, or if you wish also something "to go" maybe when you leave Baracoa with a looong bus drive.

I have never met a bigger dreamer than the owner of Baracoando. He has a beautiful personality and want to change the world to a better place. The concept of his place is that he will cook vegan or vegetarian however you like. There is no alcohol, no sugar and less salt, kids eat for free. The food was delicious and very very special. I have never eaten anything like that in my 20 years of vegetarian/ vegan life. And of cause its very special for Cuba. Finding vegetarian/ vegan food in Cuba is an adventure! And here you can eat in total peace because the owner really understands vegan food e.g. doesnt cook with chicken/pork soup like everywhere else in Cuba. Please go there and support his beautiful idea of bringing vegan food to Cuban culture. Its one place where we vegetarians/ vegans and food lovers should spread our love.

Pros: vegan or vegetarian: depends on your reservation, awesome food, never eat the same twice cause its always sth. new

Cons: it is hard to find, people in the city doesnt now , the place, please see the uploaded map screenshots

the only vegan place in Cuba - Edit

But the time I arrived to Baracoa, after travelling the island from west to east, I already gave up finding vegetarian food, not to mention vegan. I found this place by accident, I was there about 7pm and the business was closed, but I met Mr Arisitides, the gentleman behind it and he agreed to make dinner just for me despite being late.
All products are fresh, sustainable, you can eat your plate if you wish -made of a big leave. If I were to return to Cuba, I'll go to Baracoa just because I want to support this place, someone daring to open a vegetarian-vegan restaurant in Cuba must be hero.

p.s. I visited this place in March 2016, by that time there really was not any vegetarian restaurant anywhere in Cuba (I heard of a Buddhist monastery but too far away from Havana). Maybe things have changed now.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-04

Pros: Inexpensive, Environmentally friendly

vegan food in Baracoa - Edit

We found this place by accident as the owner was handing out fliers for it in the town. It is not so easy finding vegan choices in Cuba so to find this place was great as the owner is vegan himself. The food is just what has been prepared that day but we were given a range of dishes all quite different to each other. The food was very tasty and there was enough that we were full by the end of the meal. We liked it enough that we went back the next day when nearly all the dishes were different. We'd go back again if we are ever back in Baracoa.

Pros: friendly, helpful owner, good value, good food

Cons: no menu to choose from

Return to Baracoa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Baracoando closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.