Bar Velo

718-599-6895

394 Broadway , Brooklyn, New York, USA, 11211

Bar with vegan food menu. Hosts happy hour, and live music some nights. Bar opens til later. Open Mon-Sat 5:30pm-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Categories: Vegan, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Suebedo

sumptuous - Edit

Great local bar/Café place in a retro bicycle themed space. Intimate in feel with really yummy and generous tapas style servings.
This is the definition of a great neighborhood spot. A place to meet and spend some time over delicious food in a warm and inviting setting. The night we were there there was live music of jazz guitar accompanied by upright bass, set up near the entrance, a tin passed around afterwards for tips. I thought the food spectacular and I’m pretty hard to please. We had a frisée salad with creamy truffle dressing, a lentil pâté that had a nice smokiness to it, a “bacon” mushroom pizza that couldn’t be beat and tofu grilled shakshuka with chick peas. We finished it off with the date cake topped with homemade ice “cream” served over a burnt caramelized sauce.

Pros: I want to live there. Ok? That should say enough.

Cons: What’s not to like?

Not bad, hopefully gets better with time - Edit

I really wanted to love this place. Back in the day when this restaurant was Moto, I lived 2 blocks away and came here almost weekly. I was a vegetarian back then, so I mainly ate the mac & cheese and date cake.... omg, the date cake!! So I was beyond excited to learn, now that I'm vegan, that Moto is now Bar Velo and vegan too, AND still serving date cake!

First , the ambience is pretty much the same which is perfect. I'm so glad they didn't change the decor. The staff is still extremely attentive and friendly. Service is awesome!

For food, ehhh, I really wanted to like it, but I found it average. Now this could be just what I ordered: flatbread and date cake. The flatbread was okay, the tempeh on top was delicious, but it was a bit difficult to cut. As for the date cake that I was once obsessed with, it was unfortunately just not the same vegan.. I think the recipe needs to be reworked a bit to give it more flavor.

Overall, I would go back to Velo, but maybe not run back. They do have excellent happy hour specials and jazz musicians on certain nights. Hopefully, they just redo a few recipes so I can fall in love with it again.

p.s. cool place to visit if you're into ghosts. Rumor has it that the bar is haunted.

Amazing Brunch Burrito Vegan, Mimosa, Bicycle Racing Theme Bar - Edit

Bar Velo is a Bicycle Racing Themed Vegan bar hiding in plain sight on Broadway in Brooklyn tucked under the JMZ subway trains tresses.

The bar looks like a set of a movie with cheery big windows on both sides filled with sunlight and plants; great folksy music and wonderful server.

I picked a delicious very generous sized tofu scramble burrito breakfast that came with a small side of hash browns and the food is delicious!!!

Bar Velo has live gypsy Jazz Tuesday thru Saturday starting at 8:30 and vegan dinner time starts at 5:30!

For now until others discover this cool vegan spot brunch is only Sunday.

It is very cheerful and refreshing. I've only been vegan a year and a half and I really love finding new places...new to me that is!!!!

The bathroom is down a rickety set of stairs and occasionally the place with the rumbles of the JMZ train but the place does not shake like that Woody Allen movie under the Coney Island amusement ride!!!

I want to try the Velo date cake with ice cream but I am too full!!!

Their brunch and also the main menu offer varied choices including a vegan shepherd pie

I hope people discover this cool vegan bar, very "Newyorkcity" spot w/ the occasional rumble of the subway cars above that are delightful as is the music.

A mimosa or a Bloody Mary are wonderful option youcan't get anywhere else in Willyburg for brunch...earthy down to earth with posters of bicycle racing legends -- no Lance Armstrong images.

Pros: vegan , good customer service , cheerful fun vegan bar

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bar Velo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.