Baobab Vegetarian Moringa Restaurant

Contact 0540436130

Commercial Street (at /North of Cape Coast Castle), Cape Coast, Ghana,

A vegetarian restaurant that lies between the castle and the market. Patio has view of the sea. Students of Baobab school learn to prepare the meals, snacks and juices. Has vegan options. Uses fresh tofu, soy and wheat chunks, oyster mushrooms and whole wheat flower. Serves vegetable pies, banana & coconut cakes, most delicious pan cakes and more. Try the in-house-made pineapple-moringa, bisap or ginger juices. All vegetables are washed in saltwater and many come from the school-owned organic farm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Ghanaian

First Review by H

Neat place in the heart of Cape Coast - Edit

Baobab is set in the heart of idyllic Cape Coast, with outdoor seating on a shaded patio to give you a view while you eat. The food is good quality, with quite a variety of Ghanaian and international dishes (though some weren't available when I went--this is West Africa, after all!). There's a heavy emphasis on moringa, which they claim to have 7 times the Vitamin C of oranges and high in protein. Most of the items are vegan, and they told me that if I wanted an item that wasn't listed as vegan, they'd usually be able to make it vegan. Be careful with the bill--they overcharged me, but I think it was an honest mistake. I uploaded pics of the menu so you can see some of the creative dishes they have (and some dishes that you wouldn't normally find outside of West Africa). I definitely recommend!

Pros: good food and variety, great location with good view, reasonably priced

Cons: some items not available, mistake on the bill

Vegans Saving Grace in Cape Coast - Edit

"Baobab House" is the vegan-friendly alternative to Asasse Pa in Cape Coast, although it also has vegetarian items. They offer a variety of appetizers such as tofu and wheat kebabs (with moringa sprinkled on top-- if you are gluten free, the tofu kebabs tend to be sold out after Monday), yam balls, mini pizzas slices(a bit pricey for the size), battered eggplant fillets (a bit oily by itself but good on a sandwich), and a mixture of vegan and vegetarian deserts. The main menu is mostly vegetarian, but if you request, some of the items can be made vegan. They also have a shop where you can buy some of the art crafts made by the children of their not-for-profit trade school. Although they have German volunteers working, you may at times be served by children from their not-for-profit trade school (for the purpose of them gaining business experience-- not child labor). The location is conveniently located by Melcoms (one of Ghana's major shopping stores), quite a few banks, the art strip, bus station, and the Cape Coast dungeon.

Pros: vegan friendly, not-for-profit organization, convenient location

Cons: not smoke free

Nice thing they got going - Edit

I was walking around town when I saw a "Vegetarian Restaurant" sign which caught my eye and made me stop in my tracks! So far the only vegetarian restaurants I've been to in Ghana I've had to really go out of my way to get to and find them. But here one was right before me! I wasn't too hungry so I just ate a few of the ready-to-go snacks like the tofu kebabs (which were pretty spicy) and some yam balls (which were a good filler for the cheap 50 peseweh price). I also had a pineapple/maringa juice. Too bad I wasn't hungry to order off the menu, nor had the chance to go back to give it a try because I had to leave Cape Coast soon after, but the folks there were very friendly and fun to interact with. There was even a sweet young German girl who was volunteering with the foundation there to assist us with our orders. A very lovely place full of people with good hearts doing good things.

Pros: Humanitarian efforts, Nice people, Close to the castle

Return to Cape Coast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Baobab Vegetarian Moringa Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1109 times since Apr 2012.