First Review by Tiggy

A little piece of Thailand in Carlton - Edit

We visited Bangkok Rain about a week after coming back from Thailand. It felt like we had never left.

Service was friendly and welcoming. Loved the full vegetarian menu - with so many choices! We had a selection of dishes including entrees and a durian dessert.

Great spot to share with omnis - they can chose to not order from the vegetarian menu. Although in my experience, they are satisfied to order what we're having!

Food was excellent we all agreed. Prices are good, parking is around and it is BYO wine as well as licensed.

Pros: Lots of choice, Authentic style

Cons: Serves meat

Decent vegan Thai cuisine available - Edit

We tried this place for the second time yesterday and this time we were actually really hungry, so writing a review felt more appropriate. When we arrived a little after 7pm (on a Saturday), there were a few tables occupied and a coupe reserved and we still managed to have a table for two set up for us. Table spacing is not huge. The man serving us was very accommodating and assured us everything on the vegetarian pages of the menu (also helpfully available on their website) could be made vegan. We chose and shared the Spicy Basil Noodles and the Green Curry Tofu Stirfry, with rice and a roti. My partner, particular about Thai noodle dishes, was enthusiastic about this one, but, while I enjoyed the way the lemon cut the sweetness in this, I personally preferred the Tofu stirfry, which, while sweet and with hints of anise (neither generally my preference for mains), had enough umami/savoury flavours for me to appreciate it. The place is gently lit, so that's a bonus if you're looking for mood lighting. Given that Carlton is surprisingly low on moderately priced veg*n places (Shakahari notwithstanding), this place is worth a look if you're in the neighbourhood.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan options, Staff friendly and accommodating

Cons: Not a lot of space between tables

Return to Carlton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bangkok Rain closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1116 times since Jul 2013.