Bandung Indonesian Restaurant

Contact 608-255-6910

600 Williamson St (at Gateway Mall), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 53703

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual nice interior decorated with Indonesian arts, crafts, and batiks. Dishes are seasoned with spices that are typical in Indonesia and most dishes are made to order, therefore can accommodate vegans and vegetarians. Tempeh is made in-house. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-2:00pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Indonesian, Non-veg

First Review by Rob Latousek

Fantastic during happy hour. - Edit

Pricey but delicious Indonesian food, and the staff are incredibly knowledgeable about which of the menu items are vegan. The real treat is going to Bandung during happy hour, when you can get $5-$6 dishes like their vegan paid thai or vegan mac n' cheeze.

Delicous Vegan Options - Edit

My lunch at Bandung was one of my favorites during my visit to Madison. There were lots of vegan options and everything was so flavorful and tasty. I am a fan of tempeh, and this was my first time enjoying tempeh in a truly authentic fashion.
My husband and I split a few appetizers and an entree for lunch and it was a perfect amount of food (if you want a large, filling lunch).
We tried the lontong, which was rice cakes cooked in banana leaves with peanut sauce (amazing), acar cucumber salad, and the tahou goreng (fried tofu with sweet soy sauce, tomato, green onions, and sambal) for appetizers. Our entree was the sambal goreng tempe, which was absolutely delicious...so sweet and spicy.
I really would like to try more Indonesian food after visiting this restaurant, and really hope I make it back to Madison to try Bandung again.

Pros: Delicious Food, Nice Atmosphere, Good veg options

Wide range of unique vegan options - Edit

We had the Rujak Cuka and Tahu Goreng for starters. Both were boldly flavored (as I expect from Indonesian food) but still balanced and yummy. Our server explained that most things can be made vegan upon request. We stuck with what was naturally vegan already, though, as there were so many to choose from!

We split the Sambal Goreng Tempe for entree and it was lovely. The tempe really was outstanding. We asked for an extra dish of fresh sambal and it took the dish over the top.

Bottom line: a refreshingly different cuisine and lots of vegan options. What's not to love?

Pros: balanced flavors, many vegan options, good service

Cons: a bit expensive at night

Unique Indonesian Food & Ambience - Edit

Bandung has been a wonderfully dependable place to find unique and delicious Indonesian dishes, including a great number of vegan and vegetarian offerings. The ambience is casual and comforting, with stylish touches of Indonesian artwork and music. It is located on the edge of downtown, close to Lake Monona and the ever-funky and bohemian Willy Street neighborhood. A great find, with something for everyone!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bandung Indonesian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2371 times since Sep 2010.