Bandit Burrito

Contact 515-254-9999

5340 Merle Hay Rd (at 2 blocks north of I-80), Johnston, Iowa, USA, 50131

Serves meat, vegan options available. The chef will create custom burritos, salads, tortilla bowls, and nachos for you, built the way you like with fresh ingredients made in-house daily. Veggie toppings include vegetarian chorizo sausage, guacamole, choice of fresh salasa, beans, white or wild rice, seasonal fajita vegetables. Casual, family atmosphere. Mon-Sun 6:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Mexican, Catering, Tex-Mex, Non-veg

First Review by Artgeek3k

Great find - Edit

My husband and I were traveling across the country and went out of our way to find vegan options in the not so vegan friendly mid-west. This was a great find! They had a clearly marked vegan menu and the vegetarian chorizo is in fact vegan. They even cook it in a separate pan from the meat items. We were very impressed. The chorizo tasted more like a breakfast sausage than chorizo, but it was still tasty, and they prices were great.

Pros: clearly marked vegan items, freshly made vegan chorizo

Great place! - Edit

The people were so friendly and even threw a couple of pieces of the vegan chorizo on the grill for a sample for us to taste to see if we wanted it on the nachos we ordered! We were very impressed and felt welcome. I highly recommend it! :)

Pros: Awesome service, Awesome food

Vegetarian chorizo is not vegan - Edit

I asked the staff if the vegetarian chorizo was vegan and they said it was not. However, they had vegan options of a boca burger or tofu. I went with the tofu and it was awesome - they add in a fantastic seasoning that makes it taste a little Italian sausage-like (definitely had fennel in it). Both bean options (pinto or black bean) are vegan. Got some guacamole and chips to go. Overall, a great experience and will be stopping again next time I'm traveling through!

Fun, affordable, delicious! - Edit

My friend and I strolled in to Bandit Burrito based on the two previous reviews here on HappyCow. The vegetarian chorizo burrito, which we both ordered, took a little bit of time for preparation - nothing excessive - which gave us time to chat up the owner and employees. What great people! We'd mentioned to the owner that we from Montreal and were referred through HappyCow and he was genuinely thrilled to hear that his inclusion of a transcendent veggie burrito on the menu is paying such dividends.

In short, the food is very affordable, filling and tasty. We send a warm hello from Montreal to the owner of Bandit Burrito and hope that we make it to Des Moines to see you again!

Pros: Great veggie burrito, Very wallet-friendly, Fantastic owner

Cons: More veggie options would be nice

Contributions +14

Very Tasty! - Edit

Have been back to Bandit Burrito MANY times since my first visit. The vegetarian chorizo must be made ahead, but is worth the wait. I have a sneaking suspicion it MAY not be Vegan and mean to ask the next time I'm in. But the other options are worth the visit. They have a brown/wild rice alternative to white and spinach AS WELL AS lettuce. And I loves me some spinach. Service friendly except when my partner asks for a fork...then, SOMETIMES, people get a little annoyed. Not everyone is equipt with burrito skills, guys! :o)

Pros: Great Variety, Delicious Food, Enormo Portions

Cons: Chorizo Possibly Not Vegan?, Occasionally Forkist

Return to Johnston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bandit Burrito closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1150 times since Mar 2009.