Banana Verde

• Friend
  • Vegetarian
Contact 11-38144828

Rua Harmonia, 278, Vila Madalena, Sao Paulo, Brazil,

Banana Verde offers contemporary, natural cuisine that's meatless by combining creativity and harmony of flavors to satisfy demanding tastes. Serves lunch choices of fast dishes as well as gourmet dinners.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Brazilian, Gourmet

First Review by Toni Barros

Delicious - Edit

Clean and cozy ambiance with sophisticated food, fresh juices and desserts. The only negative point, in my opinion, are the vegan options - delicious, but few, considering it's a vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Tasty, Opens at night

Cons: Expensive, Few vegan options

expensive and ok - Edit

If you end up here, have all the juices you can! Their juices are amazing! The food itself looks inpressive and is quite expensive, but not really as tasty as you'd expect from all the fuzz that goes around this place

One of the best in Sao Paulo - Edit

I have eaten here many times over the past 7 years, most recently in December, 2014. Since my last visit, the place has expanded - replaced the store in the front with more tables. The food has always been excellent - certainly one of the best in Sao Paulo. There aren't many vegan dishes on the menu, but they can leave out cheese from several of the dishes so there are some choices for vegans. The ambiance of the restaurant is really nice - very relaxing. I highly recommend this restaurant.

A must try - Edit

We went there at lunch time on a Tuesday (10.6.14), the staff were super friendly and gave us an english menu. The menu was mostly vegetarian but the chef (who could speak english) said she could make the risotto vegan so we went for the dish of the day + soup + salad buffet. She explained all but 1 salad was vegan on the buffet and the dish of the day was a traditional Brazilian one. Soup was leek, the salad bar had everything you would expect a good salad buffet to have plus a few Brazilian inspired salads as well as home made bread and corn chips which went amazing with their salsa, oh I need to mention the creamy tofu salad dressing was so good. The main was a traditional Feijoada beans, rice, mushroom thing and steamed collard greens. All quality food and very filling for R80 for two people . Only complaint I had was the main (especially the greens) was a little salty for me but I'm finding that everywhere in Brazil, possibly not a thing for others as I use very little salt if any at all in my dishes.

Pros: helpful staff, tasty food

Cons: slightly salty for me

Bit dissapointing - Edit

I was a bit disappointed by Banana Verde to be honest. To begin with there are no vegan options on the dinner menu. They did however not add cheese to my dish when I asked them. To start we had the palmito that was good, and then the plate of mandioca, mandioquinha, and sweet potato. It was good, but it was an absolutely tiny portion. I had the red rice risotto with shitake mushrooms, and the flavours were just wrong on this dish. There was way too much onion and it just overpowered all the other flavours. I hope the chef made a mistake and it is not normally like that. The two people I was with had the Italian risotto, and they said it was very bland and they were not very impressed. I had the brownie for dessert as it was the only vegan option, it was way too sweet and to be honest felt a bit undercooked. The others took the cheesecake and they said that they enjoyed it.The general atmosphere was nice enough, I think there were only 3 other tables busy.

Flavor and Harmony in Sao Paulo - Edit

I just had one of the most amazing meals for dinner at Banana Verde. And just as mentioned by another reviewer her, chef Priscilla Herrera ws by my side explaining everything in English and chatting us up. It is a beautiful place in a nice neighbourhood on hills. The only jarring part was that the entire restaurant was empty the entire time we were there. Prisculla sadly mentioned that not many locals care for vegetarian cuisine since Brazil is mainly a country of carnivores. For those who do venture here, they will be rewarded with some of the most flavorful dishes lovingly created by Priscilla. Go for it.

Pros: Flavor, Personal attention, Harmony

Cons: Empty

OH MY GOD! AMAZING FOOD! - Edit

I went to banana verde on the night of the Tuesday 2nd Nov 2011.

It is a beautiful restaurant with a lovely feel, candles and art on the walls surrounded by banana plants with a gorgeous view of the city at night.

When I arrived the waiter said he didn't speak much English so I showed him the ''I do not eat meat, fish, dairy, eggs or animal products'' note I had got the hotel staff to write for me.

He looked worried and ran off to the kitchen. I though oh no this could be bad!!! But I was mistaken. The amazing chef Priscilla Herrera appeared and explained that she could make me anything on the menu vegan style. Asked me what I liked and made some suggestions.

I chose the Grain Salad to start, followed by Pizza with eggplant and olive tapenade. They were both so yummy and gorgeous. I really enjoyed them both. Priscilla had recommended some almonds on the pizza and they made all the difference so so so yummy!!

Then I couldn't resist desert!! Priscilla asked me if I liked bananas and if I wanted to try a local fruit. I told her that I would trust her to give me whatever she would like and I was NOT disappointed. I had warm bananas with a beautiful fruit sorbet and a nutty topping. It was divine!! So So good.

All I can say is thank you to Priscilla for such a lovely warm welcome, for taking the time to make something yummy for me and being so lovely and friendly and the most amazing chef!!!

She even called a taxi for me to make sure I got back to my hotel safe.

Banana Verde is a lovely place with a wonderful chef. Thank you.

PS the reviewer before said that it seemed expensive. I have to say for the attention to detail and wonderful, fresh, tasty food I thought it was excellent value for money. I had a starter for R15, Pizza for R13, Desert for R14. I also had half a bottle of wine for R28. My whole 3 courses with wine and service charge came to R79.75 which is £28.60.

Pros: beautiful, amazing food, wonderful staff

Cons: none

Chilled and nice night with friends - Edit

I went with a large group of omnivorous beautiful friends and had a very nice evening. Almost nothing is vegan in the menu, but like the other reviewer said, the staff was very nice and helpful and offered to turn almost any dish into vegan. I had a risotto which was very fun to have because I never find risottos without butter in menus, this one only had olive oil and it was very tasty. My husband had pasta and it was ok, nothing spectacular. All of our omnivorous friends were very happy with the place and their meals. We all had juices... awesome ones! And I also had natural coconut water. Everyone shared a dish which broke my heart which was a grilled palmito... The palmito is the heart of a type of palm tree that even though some are planted for eating, about 99% of them are chopped down from jungles, many from the Amazons... now, I've seen these many times in my life, but canned, and this one really shocked me because it was the bark of the tree cut in half with the palm heart inside, it just made me so sad. I did not say anything because I did not want to sound snobby or annoy anyone but it just made me so sad... anyway/ I'm taking this review way deep in my heart! LOL I did love the place because it was very spacey and clean and it had very big windows and a beautiful view. I do not know the price because I was invited, but I think it was pricey. If you are vegetarian they have many options. The neighborhood is very nice.

Pros: BIG WINDOWS WITH NICE GREEN VIEW, YUMMY JUICES, FRIENDLY STAFF

Cons: ANTI-ECO-FRIENDLY PALMITO ENTREE, I think maybe expensive

Healthy gourmet - Edit

This restaurant offers healthy, creative and elaborate preparations in a pleasant atmosphere. Average price is R$ 30 to R$ 40 per person. Most dishes are not vegan on the menu, but the staff is very friendly and will try to accomodate you.
Este restaurante oferece preparaçiµes saudaveis, criativas e elaboradas em um ambiente agradavel. Preço médio de R$ 30 a R$ 40 por pessoa. A maior parte dos pratos no menu nao é vegan, mas a equipe é muito amigavel e faz o possi­vel para atender.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Pleasant premises

Return to Sao Paulo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Banana Verde closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2775 times since Oct 2008.