Banana Leaf

( 1 review )
+44-3001245099

67 Cambridge St, Glasgow, Scotland, G3 6QX

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small Malaysian-Chinese restaurant in the city centre. Menu includes a selection of vegan choices, around 4 mains and several starters/sides.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Malaysian, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Henri K

I could eat here everyday - Edit

Have now been going to Banana Leaf on Cambridge St. (they also have a Byres Rd branch which opened last year) for at least 4 years and in that time I have lost count of the number of times I've been there and people I have taken there. We used to know which items on the very long menu were vegan because the staff could tell us or checked with the cooks but about 18 months ago the menu changed to be shorter, to change more regularly (during the summer they changed it each month which is a great idea as gave us an excuse to go at least once a month) and also all vegan dishes clearly marked. There are now usually about four starters or salads that are vegan, 5 or 6 mains plus sides. All are great, using that Malaysian fusion of Chinese and south Asian flavours to produce flavoursome, spicy but not over powering dishes (although we are both fans of spicy). Personal favourite starter is the Jemput Jemput (a Malay take on the pakora) which I have nearly every visit but the fried lotus root is another firm favourite which thankfully my partner usually gets. For mains we tend to mix it up but reliable classics are the sizzling tofu hotplate or the kong po style eggplant. A great innovation last year with the opening of their second branch on Byres Rd is their Christmas day vegan feast - 5 courses for £40 per head! We enjoyed ourselves a bit too much last year (we had a very bleary but fun long wonder home) so we're doing again this year.
Finally got to say the service is all very good, the staff knowledgable and helpful, and the management very welcoming. Even with the plethora of exclusively vegan eateries In Glasgow, this is currently my favourite restaurant and has been for a while.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan dishes, Plenty of choice, Regular changes to the menu

Cons: Closed on Mondays

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Banana Leaf closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.