Banana Leaf

Contact 614-459-4101

816 Bethel Rd, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 43214

Vegetarian Indian restaurant offering South Indian food, Gujarati food, and chaat snack food. Varied menu. Open Tue-Thu 11:30am-2:30pm, Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, Tue-Thu 4:30pm-9:00pm, Sun 4:30pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by biggreenbean

Get the buffet! - Edit

Goodness! The buffet at Banana Leaf is amazing! Before even starting the buffet, the meal begins with a collection of appetizers. When you get to the buffet, food is labeled as vegan or vegetarian. Everything I've had I've really enjoyed. Definitely, you won't go home hungry! So much food! I really enjoy going to Banana Leaf with friends (especially out of town friends!).

Pros: Great Buffet, Vegan food labeled

Banana Leaf - Edit

Make sure you are hungry before you go, they give you a lot of food.

Pros: You get a lot of food for what you pay, Easy parking, There are many new things to try

Cons: The environment is a bit strange

Wonderful Vegan Indian Food Experience! - Edit

I recommend the grand buffet which offers unlimited mango juice, several chaats, and a buffet. The mango juice is thick and flavorful. The "chaats" are Indian street food appetizers. The bhel puri is probably my favorite! A waitress successively serves each chaat, resulting in the fun experience of being served several small courses. It always make me feel like royalty! These small dishes are unique, so anyone who enjoys trying a variety of foods should enjoy herself. You will be nearly stuffed after the chaats, but next comes the buffet! The buffet has several curries, vada, a couple desserts, and rice. Banana Leaf changes the buffet selection daily. You can help yourself to coconut chutney. I am a huge fan of this and sometimes eat it by the spoonful, which is not traditionally done given that chutneys are sauces. Banana Leaf also has a menu if you do not want the grand buffet.

All of the food is flavorful and wonderful! I have loved everything that I have tried here, but you have so many options to choose from, with the chaats and buffet, that it is inconsequential to your dining happiness if you do not prefer some of the items. You will be extremely full when you leave! Kamal and the staff are very friendly. It is a locally owned hole-in-the-wall. It is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. You should eat here!

This restaurant is very friendly to vegans! First off, almost everything there is vegan. Let the waitress know that you are vegan and she will make sure that the kitchen prepares all of your chaats vegan (which simply means omitting yogurt in one or two of them). Mango juice is vegan whereas the mango lassi is not, as it is yogurt-based. All items in the buffet are clearly labeled as vegan or gluten-free.

Pros: Food Quality & Variety, Wonderful Staff & Ambiance, Very Vegan-Friendly

Cons: Vegetarian (Not Entirely Vegan)

Good Veg Indian - Edit

I have been to Banana Leaf a number of times. It's exactly as advertised.

They have a menu, but I've always done the chaat + buffet option. I'd recommend doing this, at least the first time you go. You'll get full, but it's tasty and you get a range of things.

My only complaint is the buffet. Sometimes they have great things, sometimes the choices leave something to be desired. I'll go one night and love everything; I'll come back a few weeks later and there won't be anything that stands out. Don't get me wrong, it's never anywhere near *bad*. There are a few things that they do really well. The eggplant and okra dishes in particular stand out; it's a shame they aren't there all the time.

Pros: Good food., The chaat + buffet will fill you up.

Cons: Price slowly increasing., Inconsistent choices.

Amazing! - Edit

Most satisfied with our meal... We left very very full and happy to have met the staff ... Especially Niki... Will return if we ever pass through town again.... Highly recommend.

Pros: Buffet, Fast and friendly staff, Delicious & cheap

Go for the excellent food, return for the service - Edit

This is the best Indian food I've ever had and this includes quite a bit of great home cooking from many Indian friends. They cook everything from scratch and it's just delicious. We ordered from the menu despite the buffet looking very delicious. I don't think you would be disappointed either way.

One note about ordering from the menu -- due to them making food fresh, it might take a bit of time although not terribly long. If you aren't in a rush, this shouldn't be an issue.

Possibly the best part was how friendly and gracious the staff are. And considering how great the food was, this is saying something.

It's actually way under priced for the quality in my opinion. I've paid more than twice as much for food half as good. Seriously, if you're reading these reviews and wondering whether you should go, I'm telling you -- go. You won't regret it.

One note that I'm going to make. I don't consider this a big problem personally, but the ambiance is very simple. For people that this is a big issue, you are going to be disappointed and that's too bad. The food and the people are five star quality.

Pros: Great Service, Great Food

Cons: My stomach isn't big enough

I love this place. Get the buffet. They bring out a bunch of small plate appetizers that are so incredibly delicious, and you can reorder as many of them as you want. Then there's also a buffet and unlimited mango juice (and lassi for non vegans) and vegan dessert too.
You will leave this place feeling uncomfortably full, but very happy.

Pros: amazing food, super vegan friendly, very friendly service

Cons: tiny bit short staffed at times

Yummy Vegan Indian Food! - Edit

I really enjoy eating at Banana Leaf Cafe. It is a vegetarian Indian restaurant. Most of the food is also vegan. The owner is very accommodating of vegan customers. He will prepare a special vegan dessert for you! And, he's polite and friendly, too.

When you go to Banana Leaf, arrive with a healthy appetite. You can have as many appetizers as you like before your main course. And, there is a buffet that always has delicious vegan food with unlimited mango juice to drink! I've never encountered a dish I did not like at Banana Leaf. And, it's affordable, too. Happy eating, Happy Cow members!

good Indian Food - Edit

I've been here twice for the lunch buffet. The staff is very friendly and will bring you chaat (snacks) one at a time. After they've brought you all the appetizers, you may go to the buffet and take as much as you want. There are about 4 flavors of lassi, and you can try them all. I believe, although I'm not 100% sure, that dinner is served on actual banana leaves.

Best Indian I've ever had - Edit

While travelling through Columbus my boyfriend and I used happycow to find this restaurant. When we arrived immediately we got a great feeling from the staff. Since it was our first time there the owner gave us a detailed run down on how the menu works and what was worth trying. We went with their "buffet" which first includes many, many samples of hand-made treasures brought out on small plates one by one. Since we showed an interest in the flavour and construction of the food, our server or the owner took the time to explain to us exactly what is in each one. The quality and flavour of the foods was divine! You could also have endless lassi and tea. By the time we reached the actual buffet we were getting quite full but had to sample a little of the rest. Overall, we were so impressed have never had such an awesome experience in an Indian restaurant. I highly, highly recommend going.

Pros: Great Quality food, Wonderful service, Good prices

Cons: Not the nicest bathrooms

Banana Leaf gets a makeover - Edit

I've eaten here a few times. The food is 100% Vegetarian and was great. The atmosphere was a bit rough. However, the last time I ate there the owner showed me the space next door that was being renovated for a new dining area, and it look very nice. I drove by it today and it looked like it was complete. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

p.s. Some stupid chain restaurant built a giant building right in front of Banana Leafs storefront, so it's easy to miss.

Return to Columbus Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Banana Leaf closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6267 times since Aug 2007.