Bamboo Temple Vegetarian Restaurant

Qiongzhu Temple, Mt. Yu’an, 7km west of city centre, Kunming, China

筇竹寺素斋馆 at 近郊昆明西郊约7公里玉案山筇竹寺内. Qiongzhu or Bamboo Temple was established during the Yuan dynasty as the first Zen Buddhism temple in Yunnan. The vegetarian restaurant has a basic English menu (no English spoken). Choose tea carefully (some are expensive). 7 kilometres northwest of Kunming city centre on bus No C63, stop at Bamboo Temple.

Categories: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by Encrypted

Expensive rice in a nice garden setting - Edit

Nice garden setting. No English spoken but there was an English menu. There were some expensive dishes and tea on the menu but we had a tofu dish and an aubergine dish for around RMB 15 each. They were very oily though and we got massively overcharged for rice (which wasn’t priced on the menu) – RMB 10 for 2 small bowls. Not the best meal but ok if you’re visiting the temple anyway.

Pros: Nice garden setting, Some cheaper dishes

Cons: Expensive rice, No English spoken

Nice temple - Edit

Bamboo temple is a nice, small and very quiet temple, great for a relaxing afternoon. I haven't been to the actual restaurant but the two times I went there I asked for food and they took me to where the monks go for their dinner. You pay 5 or 10kuai (don't remember) and they give you a plate with rice and different kinds of vegetables, potato, etc. Very simple meal but good and you can eat outside on the stone tables.

For the restaurant, I'll try to eat there next time I go.
The problem is they close the temple very soon so you should go early to have dinner there.

Pros: great place

Return to Kunming Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bamboo Temple Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.