CLOSED: Bamboo Bee Vegetarian

Contact 0904636583

Doi Suthep (at Chiang Mai Zoo), Chiang Mai, Thailand,

A very small and busy restaurant catering to locals and tourists. Large menu. Holds cooking classes. Previously at 177 Ratchaphakhinai Rd. NOTE: now located between between Doi Suthep and the zoo - please send exact map coordinates. Confirmed closed December 2016. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Western

First Review by LilacHippy

Some delightful tastes, some disappointments - Edit

Bamboo Bee Vegetarian Restaurant
177 Ratchaphakhinai Road | Sri Phum Subdistrict, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
66 90 463 6583

This place has zero “street appeal”. If it had not been for the reviews online I would have never gone in.
Only two sizable tables and three tiny tables covered with various items they have not stored away. The seats are wooden benches with no concern for customer comfort.
The place is very messy but clean with the exception of the cauldron of water outside that has never had the water changed and so is growing algae and probably mosquitoes.
Only one fan for the whole restaurant.
They do not speak much English so it is just point at the menu unless dining with a Thai friend as I was.
We were ½ way through eating our guacamole when my friend had a hunch to ask where the curry was. They had completely forgot about it.
The food > Imagine my disappointment, I had read reviews of them having a great Veggie burger so I went there only to find they have only white flour buns or bread – no whole wheat or whole multi-grain. No concept that most people that eat healthy veggie burgers are not interested in white flour. So I pass on the 179B Veggie Burger.
I went for the 169B guacamole but should have looked more closely as it came with deep fried white flour crisps. The guacamole itself was delicious!!,
Had a 75B lime, honey and peppermint juice. Very tasty!,
The 95B Red Curry with tofu, mushrooms, yellow peppers and lime leaves was a very yummy dish!
The 100B Hot Banana Carmel was wonderful tasting!
They have 169B fried potatoes > way overpriced,
159B Veggie Tempura that sells in many places around town for under 100B
A variety of mostly Thai dishes
Expensive pricing on many items compared to any of the other restaurants we have visited in Chiang Mai
Overall the food we had was very good but can’t say the same about any of the other factors
See photos for other menu items
12pm to 9pm

Pros: Some very tasty food

Cons: No whole grains used , Uncomfortable , Over priced with some items

Great fresh Thai Food - Edit

been here many times, the food is good, freshly made, nice choice of drinks too, no WiFi and its a very small restaurant but I highly recommend eating here.

Pros: fresh quality food, decent menu

Cons: small restaurant , no WiFi

authentic Thai restaurant - Edit

Bambo Bee is a amall vego restaurant with heaps of vegan menu options ... the food is authentic thai food so please tell staff/cook if you prefer your food to be mildly spicy (farang pet) ... the massaman curry is especially good ... Bamboo Bee is not a street food cart so the food is very reasonably priced given it of a very good quality and quanity ... I have found both the staff and the other customers to be very friendly

Pros: authentic thai food

Cons: small restaurant can be a bit crowded when busy

Small place, some dishes are good, prices should be lower - Edit

Bamboo Bee is very small and a bit ramshackle, so you might expect the prices to be lower than in other Old Town vegetarian restaurants, but they are not.

Guacamole was excellent, so I may come back because of that, even that it was too expensive (160 Baht), because it was so good. But I would like to eat it with vegetables instead of those nachos.

Mock chicken dish was also good.

I didn´t like the "Local Soup" because the clear broth tasted fermented, but some people might like it (I do like kombucha, sauer kraut etc. but not this).

It looks like they offer cooking courses too, but I wouldn´t like doing it there, if they are given in that small space that doesn´t look very clean. Maybe the courses are somewhere else.

Pros: Great guacamole and mock chicken

Cons: The prices should be lower, They could try to make the place look cleaner

Good flavour, very oily - Edit

Pumpkin curry was very flavorful, as was the pad thai. However, both dishes were very oily - pad thai left me feeling ill for a while. BUT, definitely worth going for the caramel banana in coconut milk, they were phenomenal. Don't trust closing times, we got there 40 mins before closing once and they sent us away.

Disappointing - Edit

Having read reviews here, I was looking forward to trying this place but was left feeling disillusioned.

For a kick off, the menu doesn't make clear what's vegan and what's not, this lead to confusion with the order.

We made it clear to the waitress we were vegan and yet we still ended up with non vegan food.

Secondly, we weren't impressed with the rest of what we had. Far too salty with a strong suggestion of MSG.

In defence of the restaurant, they took some things off the bill but they need to try a lot harder to get things up to the minimum standard.

I can't recommend this place for good vegan food. There are far better options in Chiang Mai.

Pros: cheap

Cons: service , food quality is not good

love - Edit

We have been going to bamboo bees for over a year , yes it's a little over priced and sometimes oil a bit much .
But it's super flavourful and yummy food all fresh . Mock meat is lush and tofu dip is so good
We love this place so much
The duck and pork are a must but so are all the other dishes

Pros: food is unbeatable , fresh, full flavour

Cons: bit over priced but matches the area

Delicious and friendly owner but little expensive - Edit

They make beautiful yellow curry, soup, salad but it is rather more expensive than the other local place. It tastes great and the owner is friendly and speak good english so it is worth it but we cannot afford to go everyday.

ugh... - Edit

walked in...
saw that the price for a simple dish like fried spinach was 160 Baht....
walked out...

Cons: ridiculously expensive , one cook right in front of the sitting area (no ki, gives the impression of a low price restaurant

oily, too sweet and expensive - Edit

We paid like in a touristy hotel for:
- a little piece of table with strangers
- a good but oily (really really oily) pad thaï
- a chemical drink (kiwi soda)
- a sticky rice with mango and a lot of sugar
This is not a good experience...

Cons: oily, expensive

Loved the food. Great place. - Edit

Absolutely loved the pumpkin curry. Need that recipe! Was very flavoursome. Had the super salad too and that was great. Lots of avocado and the dressing was very nice. Just sometimes there isn't enough space and you have to sit outside with the mosquitos but that was okay. Was quite expensive though so was a treat

Pros: Really nice staff

Cons: expensive

Disappointing dinner - Edit

I came here due to the many good reviews, but I was disappointed. I ordered a veggie burger and although it was large, it wasn't tasty and I didn't even eat half of it because I just couldn't. It was very dry and tasteless and the ingredients were not well balanced (too much of some things, too little of other things). I liked the interior that is constructed of natural materials and service was quick, but the lady still seemed uninterested. Considering there are so many veggie restaurants in Chiang Mai, I wouldn't choose this one again, or at least I wouldn't order the burger again - maybe the Thai dishes are better.

Pros: Location close to many hostels, Nice interior

Cons: Burger not tasty

curries too salty - Edit

my non-vegetarian friend recommended this Restaurant to me. she and her boyfriend just loved the Food.

there were only tourists there went i went.

it's very small with only 3 tables.

all dishes cost at least 95 baht which is quite expensive...

i got the yellow Curry (95 baht) with red Rice (20 baht). i expected a lot of veggies with yellow Curry but instead it was potatoes and fried mock meat with yellow Curry Sauce. the Curry was way too salty / flavourfull. it was still strong but okay to eat with the Rice but i almost couldn't finish it. i was therefore quite disappointed! :(
oh, i ordered "not spicy" and it wasn't spicy at all. so it worked.

i met somebody i know at the Restaurant. he had the penang Curry. he had the same Impression as me. it was too strong for him too!

the Lady working there could speak Basic english.

i was hoping to get healthy Food here or that price but instead i got fried mock meat again. :(

Pros: extensive menu

Cons: expensive, curries too strong

Not for me - Edit

Heavy use of mockmeat, salt and oil. Despite ordering "no spice" my food was quite spicy so I ordered extra rice to make it milder. The lady working there was sweet and made everything to order.

Pros: Big portion sizes

super tasty - Edit

Very tasty thai vegetarian food. We tried a soup, pad thai and coconut/avocado drink, all were perfect. As the place is very small, we shared the table with another couple. As one person prepares all food you might have to wait a but but it is worth the wait for sure. They even serve beer. Recommended!

Nice staff and Safe food - Edit

It was nice to have a lunch there. the Chef (also a waiter) asked me if everything was ok. I thought that was lovely.

I had fried vegetables and 2 serving of brown rice.
the price of food and drinks there are around 100THB. I thought it was a bit pricy to me, but the portion was also big. She also cook the flavour really strong (too much sauce), so I had to order extra brown rice to balance out.
I really liked the fact that they dont use any MSG, fish sauce, or animal meat. One more thing I really liked about Bamboo bee was that they use coconut oil for cooking, so It seems more healthier.
I like the feeling of the restaurant too. cozy and relaxing.

Pros: coconut oil is used for cooking, NO MSG pr Fish Sauce

Cons: too much sauce , the portion is for 2

Great Little Restaurant - Edit

This place is amazing!
My partner and I have eaten here many times over the last few years and have never left hungry or disappointed.
Bebee, the chef, has a large,innovative menu that incorporates curries, soups and stir fries.
Her fake meats taste better than the real thing!
The serves are generous and the food is delicious.
The restaurant is small and cozy so in busy times you may have to come back later, but it is definitely worth the wait!
A must visit whenever you are in Chiang Mai.

Pros: fresh ingredients, cheap prices, delicious food

Intimate Cafe / Excellent Food - Edit

Small Cafe, Seats 12-14 people, Dedicated Vegetarian Owner

One of the Tastiest places I have eaten in, since I have been in Chaing Mai!

The Owner speakers NO English, by she has good Menus in English/Thai and ALSO 2 x A4 Sheets with Allergy and Food Options!

The Pumpkin Curry I had was Devine, very spicy and I ordered a "Little Spicy"... My partner ordered the "Thai Style Omelette" and it was Amazing!

Great range of Thai/Some Western Foods, Smoothies ETC...We also Indulged in Choc-Banana Smoothies, Delicious!!

Pros: Cute/Intimate Cafe, fresh Cooked, great Variety

Cons: small Resturant, tight Seating

great food and friendly staff - Edit

I was very happy when I found this place around the corner of our hotel. Small cute place with friendly staff and very tasty food.

Pros: tasty food, freshly prepared, friendly staff

Nice atmosphere and great food. - Edit

Cute little place with only a handful of tables but great food.

It looks like most of the menu is vegan (they don't use fish sauce), except the omelettes I suppose.

Service was friendly and pretty quick - although it was quiet when we went for lunch on a Sunday.

Cute Place Great Food - Edit

This is a lovely little place although it's so small that you may find there is no place to sit. Evenings are usually fine. The food is good if you don't mind mock meat used in the curries and the prices are a little bit more than what you'd normally expect to pay at a veggie restaurant. Great that everything except the pancakes is vegan. Also worth knowing that they are open every day as a lot of the veggie places in the old city can close on either Sunday or Monday.

Pros: Almost vegan, Tasty food, Open every day

Cons: Small place, Little bit expensive

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bamboo Bee Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.