Ballyhoo's

Contact 305-852-0822

97860 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, Florida, USA, 33037

Serves meat, vegan options available. A seafood and meat place that also offers a separate vegan menu which includes many options such as a sweet potato burger, vegan cheddar cheese, a black bean burger, and vegan desserts. All food is made in-house, even the ketchup. Casual attire, has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by luvbuniz

Tolles veganes Essen in Key Largo - Edit

Wer hätten gedacht, dass es in einem Fischrestaurant eine vegan/vegetarische Karte gibt? Und es stehen nicht nur fast food Gerichte drauf. Gegrillte Avocado und ein super leckeres Curry waren mein Lieblingsessen.... unbedingt probieren. Das Personal war super freundlich, umsichtig, eine nette Atmosphäre .

Pros: Große vegane/ vegetarische Karte, sehr leckeres Essen , Super Service

Cons: ?, ?, ?

vegan apps, entrees, and even desserts! - Edit

They have a vegan menu separate... just ask for it! The Joe Vs. volcano salad was perfect. Sweet potato burger was phenomenal! And they even have vegan desserts! Coconut cake-yum! Plus grilled mango and sorbets. Their homemade ketchup was amazing.

The best thing Above all is the service though; We went at lunch on a weekday, and the server/bartender was awesome. While we ate inside, she brought out to-go order to our family waiting in the motor home. So sweet! Seriously one of the best meals we had in the keys with the nicest people.

Pros: RV parking , delicious food , fantastic service and knowledge of vegan menu item

Cons: parking could get tight if more than two RVs want

Absolutely Wonderful! - Edit

I was surprised to find any Vegan option at all in Key Largo (Especially until I found this app) but options were found! I got the vegetable Curry! It was so amazing, and I was beyond amazed at the taste factor! If you're in the area, this is a must try!

Yahoo Ballyhoo! - Edit

Food and service were tops. We had the vegetarian Joe vs the Volcano and the Sweet Potato Burger with a side of sautéed green beans....YUMMMMMMY!
They didn't require reservations. Prices are very reasonable. Highly recommend visiting this out of the way restaurant in Key Largo.

Pros: Small and friendly, Great tasting food, Helpful staff

Cons: Outdoor seating is by the road

Great Options - Edit

When we arrived, they asked right away if anyone needed a vegan/vegetarian menu. I had the vegan grilled cheese. It oozed and was very distinctly orange, but it was weirdly delicious. I had a hard time deciding what to pick originally, but I chose that because they make cheese in-house, and I was curious.

Pros: variety of options, great service, nice outdoor seating area

Cons: none

the KEY to awesome vegan food - Edit

make sure to ask for the vegan menu, yes they have a separate vegan menu in the keys! yeah! food is great, ice tea is SWEET and delicious, tons of choices , just look at there VEGAN MENU ONLINE!!! , just sayin, dont get that every day especially in such a beautiful and remote place --- in door and outdoor seating, great atmosphere , i got the fried tomato appetizer with balsamic glaze, and the grilled "cheese" with black bean soup, flocking great !!!!! cant recommend this place highly enough if your in or near the keys

Pros: great atmosphere , great food , separate whole vegan menu

go somewhere else - Edit

This place has a vegan menu. However, there is nothing about this place that is healthy. Salad had tons of noodles and no greens. If you try to be healthy, do not eat there.
Waitress was constantly eating right next to us.

Key Plant Strong Options!! - Edit

We were on our way through from the keys to Miami and needed lunch and we were so excited to come upon this place that offered vegan options. It had not only had vegan, but gluten-free. We had the Joe versus volcano, a spinach salad with mango and avocado. It was pretty delicious!

Should be 5 stars - Edit

As others have said, Ballyhoos have a vegan and vegetarian separate menu with lots of vegan choices!
We had the sweet potato burger and the black bean burger with vegan cheese (homemade here) they were incredible! The chefs really provided and know how to make good food!

We finished our meal off with a fully vegan coconut cake which was out of this world!

5***** Definitely recommend! Great service and good prices!

vegan menu! - Edit

I love that there are several options which are both vegan and gluten free. I got the spinach salad with avocado and grilled mango. It was huge and flavorful. The waitress was knowledgable and answered all my questions. I'd return!

Great Food But Be Careful! - Edit

I love that this place has vegan/vegetarian options. It even had a separate menu and identifies vegan vs. vegetarian items. HOWEVER, ALL the fried items (even those on the veg menu) are fried in the same fryer. To me, that's not exactly vegan. I don't judge if you don't feel the same way. But I thought I'd put it out there.
I GOT the black bean burger (BOMB!) and side of sautéed green beans (delicious). My daughter got the black beans and they were wonderful. The service is always great. They have a delicious VEGAN grilled cheese as well.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Vegan Menu

Cons: Fryer Issue

Great selection - Edit

My husband and I loved that they had a completely separate vegan menu! There were many things we could choose from. We both went with the bean burger, which was tasty. The staff is friendly, and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere.

Vegan food at a local seafood place. - Edit

Loved that they had a separate vegan menu. The bean tacos were awesome! They make their own "coconut cheese" and upon request, put some in the tacos. So good!!!!! I loved the small family feel of the place. Seemed like a local hot spot. I appreciate our waitress making me feel comfortable about my vegan choices. It's nice to go to a place that my meaty family can eat what they like and feel good that my meal isn't compromised to a salad. Wish there were more places like this!

Pros: separate vegan menu, friendly staff, vegan desserts

Vegan food in the keys! - Edit

We ate at Ballyhoo's on two occasions while on vacation in the Keys. Love the separate vegan/ vegetarian menu. I had the black bean burger and vegan grilled cheese. Both were fabulous. My husband had the sweet potato burger twice he liked it so much. We were told by our waitress that everything on the menu is made in house including the vegan cheese and the ketchup.
A great food find in the upper keys!

Pros: nice outdoor seating, friendly and helpful waitstaff

Nice selection of vegetarian/vegan dishes. - Edit

I live in Key Largo, so I'm so very pleased Ballyhoos began offering a vegetarian/vegan menu. Their waterfront sister restaurant, "Sundowners", also does, but few people know about it. You must ask for the separate vegetarian menus. Ballyhoos has the most options (2 page menu, front and back), even vegan desserts! They have two homemade veggie burgers, one sweet potato and the other black bean, also a vegan "grilled cheese" sandwich, vegetable stir fry, and several other dishes. They also note which dishes can be made vegan. Probably the most extensive vegetarian menu in the Upper Keys. Food is very good but it's a bit pricey. The manager, Karen, is vegetarian, so be sure to share with her that you found Ballyhoos through Happy Cow.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 11, 2013

Pros: Great selection

Cons: A bit pricey

Ballyhoo - Edit

5 stars for great food atmosphere and friendly servers. I look forward to the next opportunity to dine here. I enjoyed that most rare and prized vegan dish. .... grilled cheese. It was fabulous ,Served with yummy black Bean soup it was also filling.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, friendly

Cons: far From Home

Vegan oasis in the Keys! - Edit

Ask for their separate vegan/vegetarian menu, it is pretty extensive. For the appetizer, we had a grilled avocado with a splash of salt. I ordered a grilled Vegan cheese sandwich with black bean soup. The cheese was made in-house with coconut oil and tasted more like coconut paste than cheesy. My boyfriend ordered a sweet potato burger with hot pepper relish and a side of mushrooms. The sweet potato burger was spiced well and the best thing on the menu. The vegetarian key lime pie was topped with meringue and was rich and slightly tangy. Will definitely go back there.

Pros: Separate vegan/vegetarian menu, Waitress is vegan and friendly

Cons: Entree section is pasta based, Not much variety in the entree section

Return to Key Largo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ballyhoo's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.