Baklust

• Vegetarian
Contact 707532274

Veenkade 19, The Hague, Netherlands, 2513 EG

Small lunchroom offering sandwiches, cakes, savory dishes, weekly specials, and coffee. Dinner food and takeaway is available later in the day. Biodegradable ware is used for takeaway, or bring your own containers. Situated in the city centre next to a canal, a 15 minute walk from both train stations, and tram 17 stops next door.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, European, Dutch

First Review by Alison Boyd

used to be my favorite place in The Hague, but... - Edit

...the new owner is a [edit by staff - see tos]. He went out of his way to talk about and point at my **. I left immediately. He's not getting any of my €€€. Too bad, their cake is great.

Tasty and unexpectedly big portions - Edit

We went to Baklust to have a coffee and a vegan piece of cake. Sadly, the two vegan cakes that were offered that day weren't really our taste, so we went with the salad of the week (Beetroot, carrot, celery, mixed greens, grapefruit and orange with citrus dressing) and a seitan sandwich instead.

Looking at the prices on the menu we were a bit sceptical at first: 7,50€ for a sandwich and 9.50€ for a salad. When we got our plates, however, we could totally see the reason - the portions were BIG! Especially the sandwich was super filling, there was probably half a kg of seitan on it :-)
With the salad, we got two thick slices of toasted bread and vegan herb butter (I think).
Everything was delicious and totally worth its price.

Pros: Creative meals, Big portions, Nice atmosphere

Great cake and chai and a very nice guy - Edit

They have a lot of delicious vegan options. I had the vegan chocolate cake and it was great! They also make a fantastic chai with rice-milk. You can drink it hot or cold. My friend, who is not a vegan, enjoyed his 'normal' chocolate cake and a cappuccino. We'll definately come back here to try some more!

amazing breakfast - Edit

I went there with a group of 20 people for breakfast. I was the only vegan, the owner(?) was super nice and gave me some homemade cashew-cheddar and vegan butter with herbs which were both delicious! The hummus and lentil paté were amazing as well! We got a whole lot of different organic juices and tea or coffee, too. The staff spoke German and were super nice! The place is cozy too :) the breakfast was 12,50€ per person.

Pros: many vegan options, super nice staff

Amazing! - Edit

Such a cute setting and the food was absolutely delicious! We shared the morrrocan stew and the two vegan pastry dishes, they were all incredible! So flavorful and fresh:) they also gave us a whole basket of incredible bread and vegan speed. The vegan cakes were also incredibly yummy:)

Really delicious and nice people! - Edit

They didn't have an English menu but the server walked me through all the vegan options, which was about half the menu and all the specials. I got a quinoa topped salad with roasted purple carrots and an aioli dressing. It was fantastic and the bread that they had on the side was the best I've had in a while. I'm going back again today!

Very nice place! - Edit

I went to Baklust twice, both times I was not dissappointed. It is a sma but very cozy place, the people are nice and the food is good. They have a daily changing dinner menu, which was absolutely tasty. I also lunched there one time, which was also good. There is not very much choice, but the things you can choose from sound all great!

Pros: Nice food, Good service, Very cozy atmosphere

Cons: Not inexpensive

Good laughs - Edit

About half of the menu was, sadly, not suitable for vegans. I ordered a pastry filled with beetroot and nut-based cheese, which was fine... especially given the fact that it came with a side salad I was offered.
I also had a cake with orange zest and not sure what else, which was superb! All the while the waiter (owner?) was keen to joke around: he said I was too shy because I chose not to sit next to the guy who was outside using the only table available, and remained inside instead... He also promised to sack the chef if I weren't pleased with the food, good one!
These 2-3 items turned out to be some 13 euros, so obviously (and predictably) the salad wasn´t for free, as the pastry was under 5 euros. Call me fussy, but I would have liked, not only more vegan options, but also a little bit more transparency... not sure it said how much the cakes were either.

Nice - Edit

Baklust used to be one of my favorite places in Den Haag. There's a new owner, menu and admosphere have changed. No more visual indication of vegan food on the map. Still nice vegan cakes. I have doubts if owner really gets veganism. Pricy and not super special compared to other vegan options in the area.
Still nice, though!

Delicious! - Edit

We went to Baklust for the second time now. It seems to have a new owner and a new menu. The food is still good and the staff was very friendly this time. Not that expensive in relation to local standards.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: Not if you're on a budget...

Cute little cafe with decent food - Edit

I really liked the feel of this little cafe. It was very 'gezellig' as the Dutch like to call it. We went there for dinner but found the 3 course dinner menu a bit too expensive and it consisted of a dish I often cook myself at home. So it totally depends on what you like to eat at a cafe and how much you are willing to pay for a 3 course meal. (I do have to admit, I was there on a budget)

Instead we opted for the vegan Empanada (a bit on the dry side) and a small soup. All decent. all very healthy. But the best part of the evening came in the form of a cake. As a person who doesn't like cake all that much, I can say that this fluffy coconut cake has transformed. It was simply the BEST. The taste, the sticky texture, the perfect sugar content. It was seriously the best cake I have ever had. I wish I had asked them what the name of the cake was, but it got too crowded as we were leaving. All I know is that they use soya yogurt to make it moist!

I do wish they made vegan sandwiches - using vegan cheese for example. And add more vegan items to their menu.

Definitely worth a visit when in the Hague. If I lived in the Hague, I'd probably go here every week for a cup of tea and a piece of that lovely cake!

Pros: delicious, healthy food, yummy desserts, cozy atmosphere

Cons: vegan options limited

Not bad - Edit

Stylish little cafe just outside the heart of Den Haag. The service was good and friendly, even though the place was crowded. Vegan options are plenty and the chai latte was heavenly, but the apple cake was simply dry and tasted old. Also the little vegan brownie or chocolate cake that came with the Chai latte was pretty bad. Did not get a chance to try their home made bread though, maybe next time :-)

good food in a cozy restaurant - Edit

We had a very nice vegan dinner at Baklust! It's a busy but friendly restaurant. Not so many choices but plenty vegan options, including desserts/cakes. Delicious and very cheap!

Pros: many delicious vegan options, friendly, cozy, cheap

Cons: busy, not everything is vegan

Good place to eat! - Edit

Back again because it is a great place to eat and snack, drink coffee, work, meet or whatever. First we had the soup, my (also vegan) husband and me had two different soup and we loved it. After that we had an empanada and a pastry, both delicious also. For desert we had two different vegan cake, I will upload a photo of it because they were great to see and tasted also very good.

Pros: vegan options, nice staff, lovely interior

Cons: none

Not sure - Edit

I've been here a few times now and as much as I really want to love it, I'm not really feeling it. Sometimes the staff is nice and at other times they were very unfriendly. The staff makes or breaks it for me so that's why I'm not completely sure. The coffee is nice though and also the pasties are tasty.

Pros: Interior , Great coffee

Cons: Inconsistent service , Too expensive

Great food and good prices - Edit

I liked this place so much I made an account to write a review for them. A mere 5 min cycle from the Hague Academy, Baklust offers really tasty, filling food at affordable prices. I went there thrice in a row to have the seiten sandwich - the seiten portions were generous, though I thought it could be more spicy! The bread was also really nice, with a good sourish tang as befitting of proper sourdough. I liked the use of spelt as well!

One thing I am rather puzzled about is the inconsistent serving sizes. The first time I ate there, I had a massive serving of seiten, and two thin slices of bread. The vegan sour cream was served in a separate bowl. The second time I had it, the seiten portion definitely shrunk, and the cream was drizzled over rather than in a separate bowl. The third time, the bread slice was hefty, and the tomato slices had changed to cherry tomatoes. This time, having cycled for an entire day, I asked for more cream in a bowl and they very generously provided that for me.

Not really a complaint per se, just something rather odd!

I've also taken away their apple cake (gf, v), empanada (v), and banana walnut bread. The apple cake was quite good, though a bit dry due to the gluten-free flour. The empanada was filled with more seiten and vegetables, and made a really delicious dinner when heated up in the oven. The banana walnut bread was not too sweet, and a tasty dessert.

Pity they are closing for two weeks, but I will come back just to eat here again!

Pros: Great food , Good value , Very friendly staff

Cons: Inconsistent portions

super to be fed! - Edit

Vegan options are a little scarce in Belgium. This bakery has some tasty options and soya milk though. Well worth a visit.

LOVE! - Edit

My favorite place in The Hague where I lived for two and a half years. I like everything about it.

I was/am crazy about their 'pasteitje' (savory pie) and love the grain soy cappuccino.
Love it that it is organic and that they work with season food. I also love how the place looks.

If I could I would have eaten there daily. Service and people are just wonderful.

You feel that the food/menu is made with love.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy and organic, Good service and ambience

One of my favorite places... - Edit

Really nice place to sit, drink coffee, eat delicious food. The atmosphere is perfect for me. I had the tomato soup with pesto which was tasty.
After that I had the home made seitan steak and that was mind blowing!
Last but not least I had the mocca/hazelnut cake. Big and amazing!

Pros: good food, great staff, cosy atmosphere

Great place! - Edit

I went to Baklust for the first time a few weeks ago. I always thought they only had vegetarian dishes but I discovered that they do have vegan options, which is great for me. I absolutely loved it! The atmosphere is cozy, the staff very friendly and the food was very good (portion sizes were generous). Will def be back.

Pros: Cheap!, good food, great service

favorite coffee place - Edit

I love this place, I've been there for coffee, lunch and dinner. The atmosfere is great, the staff very friendly and the location excellent. The fact its child-friendly is a def. pro for me but i've never seen it crowded with screaming offspring. I highly recommend the "citroentaart", its perfect and the coffee is very good too. If you're not into coffee; try their excellent chai!

Pros: lemon pie, childfriendly, coffee

Cons: portions can be a bit small

Best atmosphere - Edit

Baklust is a lunchroom located near the city center. Since a few months they're also open for dinner, but I haven't enjoyed that yet so I'll just review the stuff they have during the day.

While going out for dinner as a vegan can be a bit hard sometimes, going out for lunch is harder, and having a sunday hangover day with cakes is almost impossible. Unless you go to Baklust ofcourse.

While a lot of their stuff is vegetarian, they always have multiple vegan options for lunch (most of which change weekly too) and they always have at least one vegan cake.

I love the atmosphere, which is very cosy and a bit alternative. The staff is absolutly amazing, I don't think I've ever been anywhere where people are so friendly and look so happy to be working there.

The only downside is that the food is not cheap (but it's organic!). And they are a bit too child-friendly for my taste, hahaha.

One of the best places to hang out on a sunday afternoon with friends to sample great food and have some organic drinks.

Pros: Great food, Amazing staff

Cons: I need more vegan cakes :)

lovely atmosphere - Edit

I don't think anybody can dislike the cosy atmosphere here, with all the different chairs etc. On top of that the food is really good. Once inside we didn't feel rushed and really took the time to enjoy. Only downside is the price of the food, which is a bit high at times. It's worth it in the end, but still a bit much for people on a budget.

Pros: atmosphere, friendly staff, location near the canal

Cons: prices

Lovely place, well worth a visit - Edit

Very cosy place with friendly staff and a great ambiance . Can get very crowded. We went there for lunch on Sunday and we had to wait a bit for a table but it was well worth the wait. We both had the grilled seitan filet sandwich and it was really tasty. For desert I had a piece of vegan chocolate cake with cherries and cream. Menu is mostly vegetarian, but vegan items are clearly marked.

Pros: lovely food with vegan options, atmosphere, friendly staff

Good food, nice pies :) - Edit

It's a nice little restaurant, with a great ambiance. The look of the restaurant is very much like that of a living room. I've been here lots of times and enjoyed it every single time. The portions are good. The only thing is, sometimes it takes a bit long before your food arrives at the table. The staff is friendly and you have a lot good food to choose from.
Nowadays they're also open in the evening hours (till 09pm/21u)
I would recommend to take a "broodje seitan".

Pros: Friendly staff, Opening hours, Good food (vegan pies!!)

Cons: Waiting time (sometimes), Sometimes so crowded, you can't sit

Cosy with good food - Edit

Cosy vegetarian lunchroom with vegan options. Friendly and helpful staff. The vegan pie was delicious. Also nice that the confectionery served with the tea was vegan. I sure will be returning here for lunch.

Pros: vegan options, quality of the food, friendly staff

Lovely place, worth a visit - Edit

We spent two weeks roaming in the Netherlands, and this was our favourite place. It's a nicely-decorated cafe with friendly staff and a good atmosphere.

The vegan options are marked on the menu, our favourites were the seitan sandwich (so much seitan overflowing from the bread!) and the lentil salad (the name doesn't really do this justice - we're not salad-eating people normally, but this thing is so delicious and loaded with mushrooms and smoked tofu). The "empanada" is also nice (for the Brits, an empanada is essentially a Cornish pastie). Top these off with a soy cappuccino and maybe a piece of cake for dessert!

Well worth visiting, even worth making a diversion for if you're near Den Haag and want a nice veg*n lunch.

Pros: nice setting, nice staff, nice food

Lovely - Edit

Lovely and cozy little breakfast and lunchcafe with really yummy and healthy food. They also have vegan options or can make some dishes vegan, which is really nice. Super friendly staff and I always have a piece of cake to take home with me.

Pros: Lots of options, Healthy food, Friendly staff

Cons: Only one toilet

Nice veggie lunchroom in The Hague - Edit

Baklust is one of my favorite hang-outs in The Hague. If it is for lunch - for example for a soup and a filled hearty pastry or an empanada with salad -, or for one of the great cakes and a (soy) cappuccino, I love to pass by whenever I visit the city center. There are quite a few really delicious vegan options, and one soup and one cake of the day are always vegan. I also love the bread, and the chai (made with rice milk).

The staff is very nice and helpful. Sometimes it can take a while until someone comes to take your order, but the general atmosphere in this restaurant more than compensates for this. Just bring some time ;-).

Pros: good food, nice staff, cosy atmosphere

Cons: closed in the evenings

Great vegetarian / vegan cafe in the Hague - Edit

Baklust is a vegetarian / vegan cafe in The Hague. The decor is cute and individualistic, with lovely mis-matched furniture and crockery. They offer a range of sandwiches, soups, salads and cakes, and always have several vegan options available. They also make their own chai latte and ice tea. Staff is very friendly. A great place for lunch or afternoon tea!

Pros: Vegan options, Nice atmosphere, Tasty food

Cons: A little off the beaten track

Yummy desserts - Edit

We really enjoyed visiting Baklust while in the Hague! They have great coffee (and will make soy cappuccinos!) and a small selection of vegan desserts including a great chocolate cake with soy cream frosting.
They also have several vegan options on their menu including seitan sandwiches and empanadas, making this a nice stop for lunch.
A very kid-friendly place, as well - they have a little area with toys for wee ones to play with while you devour your food.

Pros: vegan options, kid-friendly, outdoor patio

Perfect for Sundays - Edit

One of the things that I like the most during relaxed days is to go to Baklust and get a nice lovely Vegan cake. This is one of the few places that I have around where they have regular vegan cakes and pastries. The place is really cozy to go with some friends and have a nice chat, also just to go alone and read or just do nothing and contemplate the canal that runs in front of it (look at the pictures on the website). I love the tables, each of them of unique form, color and with all kinds of chairs ... Usually the waiters are young people that speak Dutch and English with no problem. The menu consists of soups of the day, quiches of different kinds or empanada, several salads and main dishes. All the dishes can be chosen with fresh self baked bread. More or less half of the menu is vegan and on request they can veganise dishes if possible. As well they usually have several fresh smoothies and juices. I forgot to mention just as an small note that the products are biological/organic.
Check http://www.veganbehappy.org/?p=1137 for some cake samples! yummy yummy : - )

Pros: self baked food, great cakes, great atmosphere

Cons: Family friendly

I wish I could eat there everyday! - Edit

Baklust is my favourite place in The Hague. They have great savoury dishes, great cakes and great coffee. The menu is quite large, so there's something for everyone. I think the carrot cake is my alltime favourite.
The atmosphere is warm, welcoming and cosy.
Kids & dogs allowed.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Cool crew

Cons: Can be busy

Best in Europe! - Edit

This has to be one of the best restaurants for vegetarians/vegans in Europe. I recently toured 6 countries and this was my favorite place. They serve you big portions of very delicious and hearty food at a very reasonable price.

My wife and I had 2 entrees, both of which were large and came with a side salad and incredibly wonderful bread. Mine was a flavorful curry, which I loved, and hers was a baked filled pastry, which was out of this world. For dessert, we split the vegan Almond Cream cake. I am not exaggerating when I say this was the best vegan dessert I have had to date. We're talking 8 years of being vegan and going all over the world just to try out food. LA, NY, London, Rome...you name it. This dessert was to die for! So, we took 2 slices of other cakes to go. We also had 2 hot chocolates. Are you keeping track? All that came to only 27 Euros.

The atmosphere at Baklust is nice. Kind of like eating in someone's kitchen. We were crammed at a little table, because the place was full when we came in, but it was still comfortable. A lot of action going on inside, but still quiet enough to enjoy yourself. They have an English menu, and everyone there speaks English, in case your Dutch is rusty!

Pros: Flavor, DESSERT!, Friendly

Lovely Baklust - Edit

A haven for vegetarian delights, sweet and savoury. Tasty food, not too expensive, in a cosy and friendly atmosphere. Great for lunch, or tea and cake. Good selection of teas - and a fine collection of teapots.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly atmosphere, Helpful staff

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Baklust closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5932 times since Dec 2009.