CLOSED: Baklust

Contact 707532274

Veenkade 19, The Hague, Netherlands, 2513 EG

Small lunchroom offering sandwiches, cakes, savory dishes, weekly specials, and coffee. Dinner food and takeaway is available later in the day. Biodegradable ware is used for takeaway, or bring your own containers. Situated in the city centre next to a canal, a 15 minute walk from both train stations, and tram 17 stops next door. Reported Closed November 2016. Open Mon 8:00am-7:00pm, Wed-Fri 8:00am-7:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, European, Dutch

First Review by Alison Boyd

used to be my favorite place in The Hague, but... - Edit

...the new owner is a [edit by staff - see tos]. He went out of his way to talk about and point at my **. I left immediately. He's not getting any of my €€€. Too bad, their cake is great.

Tasty and unexpectedly big portions - Edit

We went to Baklust to have a coffee and a vegan piece of cake. Sadly, the two vegan cakes that were offered that day weren't really our taste, so we went with the salad of the week (Beetroot, carrot, celery, mixed greens, grapefruit and orange with citrus dressing) and a seitan sandwich instead.

Looking at the prices on the menu we were a bit sceptical at first: 7,50€ for a sandwich and 9.50€ for a salad. When we got our plates, however, we could totally see the reason - the portions were BIG! Especially the sandwich was super filling, there was probably half a kg of seitan on it :-)
With the salad, we got two thick slices of toasted bread and vegan herb butter (I think).
Everything was delicious and totally worth its price.

Pros: Creative meals, Big portions, Nice atmosphere

Great cake and chai and a very nice guy - Edit

They have a lot of delicious vegan options. I had the vegan chocolate cake and it was great! They also make a fantastic chai with rice-milk. You can drink it hot or cold. My friend, who is not a vegan, enjoyed his 'normal' chocolate cake and a cappuccino. We'll definately come back here to try some more!

amazing breakfast - Edit

I went there with a group of 20 people for breakfast. I was the only vegan, the owner(?) was super nice and gave me some homemade cashew-cheddar and vegan butter with herbs which were both delicious! The hummus and lentil paté were amazing as well! We got a whole lot of different organic juices and tea or coffee, too. The staff spoke German and were super nice! The place is cozy too :) the breakfast was 12,50€ per person.

Pros: many vegan options, super nice staff

Amazing! - Edit

Such a cute setting and the food was absolutely delicious! We shared the morrrocan stew and the two vegan pastry dishes, they were all incredible! So flavorful and fresh:) they also gave us a whole basket of incredible bread and vegan speed. The vegan cakes were also incredibly yummy:)

Really delicious and nice people! - Edit

They didn't have an English menu but the server walked me through all the vegan options, which was about half the menu and all the specials. I got a quinoa topped salad with roasted purple carrots and an aioli dressing. It was fantastic and the bread that they had on the side was the best I've had in a while. I'm going back again today!

Very nice place! - Edit

I went to Baklust twice, both times I was not dissappointed. It is a sma but very cozy place, the people are nice and the food is good. They have a daily changing dinner menu, which was absolutely tasty. I also lunched there one time, which was also good. There is not very much choice, but the things you can choose from sound all great!

Pros: Nice food, Good service, Very cozy atmosphere

Cons: Not inexpensive

Good laughs - Edit

About half of the menu was, sadly, not suitable for vegans. I ordered a pastry filled with beetroot and nut-based cheese, which was fine... especially given the fact that it came with a side salad I was offered.
I also had a cake with orange zest and not sure what else, which was superb! All the while the waiter (owner?) was keen to joke around: he said I was too shy because I chose not to sit next to the guy who was outside using the only table available, and remained inside instead... He also promised to sack the chef if I weren't pleased with the food, good one!
These 2-3 items turned out to be some 13 euros, so obviously (and predictably) the salad wasn´t for free, as the pastry was under 5 euros. Call me fussy, but I would have liked, not only more vegan options, but also a little bit more transparency... not sure it said how much the cakes were either.

Nice - Edit

Baklust used to be one of my favorite places in Den Haag. There's a new owner, menu and admosphere have changed. No more visual indication of vegan food on the map. Still nice vegan cakes. I have doubts if owner really gets veganism. Pricy and not super special compared to other vegan options in the area.
Still nice, though!

Delicious! - Edit

We went to Baklust for the second time now. It seems to have a new owner and a new menu. The food is still good and the staff was very friendly this time. Not that expensive in relation to local standards.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: Not if you're on a budget...

Cute little cafe with decent food - Edit

I really liked the feel of this little cafe. It was very 'gezellig' as the Dutch like to call it. We went there for dinner but found the 3 course dinner menu a bit too expensive and it consisted of a dish I often cook myself at home. So it totally depends on what you like to eat at a cafe and how much you are willing to pay for a 3 course meal. (I do have to admit, I was there on a budget)

Instead we opted for the vegan Empanada (a bit on the dry side) and a small soup. All decent. all very healthy. But the best part of the evening came in the form of a cake. As a person who doesn't like cake all that much, I can say that this fluffy coconut cake has transformed. It was simply the BEST. The taste, the sticky texture, the perfect sugar content. It was seriously the best cake I have ever had. I wish I had asked them what the name of the cake was, but it got too crowded as we were leaving. All I know is that they use soya yogurt to make it moist!

I do wish they made vegan sandwiches - using vegan cheese for example. And add more vegan items to their menu.

Definitely worth a visit when in the Hague. If I lived in the Hague, I'd probably go here every week for a cup of tea and a piece of that lovely cake!

Pros: delicious, healthy food, yummy desserts, cozy atmosphere

Cons: vegan options limited

Not bad - Edit

Stylish little cafe just outside the heart of Den Haag. The service was good and friendly, even though the place was crowded. Vegan options are plenty and the chai latte was heavenly, but the apple cake was simply dry and tasted old. Also the little vegan brownie or chocolate cake that came with the Chai latte was pretty bad. Did not get a chance to try their home made bread though, maybe next time :-)

good food in a cozy restaurant - Edit

We had a very nice vegan dinner at Baklust! It's a busy but friendly restaurant. Not so many choices but plenty vegan options, including desserts/cakes. Delicious and very cheap!

Pros: many delicious vegan options, friendly, cozy, cheap

Cons: busy, not everything is vegan

Good place to eat! - Edit

Back again because it is a great place to eat and snack, drink coffee, work, meet or whatever. First we had the soup, my (also vegan) husband and me had two different soup and we loved it. After that we had an empanada and a pastry, both delicious also. For desert we had two different vegan cake, I will upload a photo of it because they were great to see and tasted also very good.

Pros: vegan options, nice staff, lovely interior

Cons: none

Not sure - Edit

I've been here a few times now and as much as I really want to love it, I'm not really feeling it. Sometimes the staff is nice and at other times they were very unfriendly. The staff makes or breaks it for me so that's why I'm not completely sure. The coffee is nice though and also the pasties are tasty.

Pros: Interior , Great coffee

Cons: Inconsistent service , Too expensive

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Baklust closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.