First Review by Derina

AMAZING - Edit

Got an ice cream sandwich - chocolate chip cookies with cherry chip ice cream. I haven't had one since I went vegan I don't think. So so good.

Delicious Vegan Treats - Edit

I had the vegan Red Velvet cupcake and it was delicious. It was very moist and I liked how the size wasn't excessive. They also had a few other vegan treats like an oatmeal crime pie and chocolate chip cookies.

The vegan cupcakes were not on display in the front, so just ask when you get there. While their site advertised several flavored, they only had the red velvet in that day. It may be worth calling ahead of time to see what they have in.

There is a parking garage nearby right by the Trader Joe's.

Pros: Has vegan cupcakes, Prices are reasonable

Cons: Vegan options not on display, Had only one vegan flavor

Oh yes, vegan goodies- just ask - Edit

It was interesting that there are many items listed as vegan, but not one of them in the display is vegan. They are all hidden in the back. Though they are happy to get them for you, how does one know what to order if one cannot see them? Vegans often have to make leaps of faith, but it would be great to see all the choices before buying.

Nice deal though for cupcakes buy 5 and get 1 free. The cupcakes are kind of small, and I am not sure if it's just me, or the box they were in. They have traditional cupcake liners, so they are the ones you'd make at home in terms of size.

Anyhow, the vegan cookies are good, standard fare with items like salted apricot oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip, ginger snap and oatmeal - a few choices can have creme filling. The prices for these are good, so, don't hesitate!

The cupcakes are interestingly different - strawberry shortcake, chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, pumpkin. I say different because the cake portion is just more moist for some than others. I only tried two, not wanting plain chocolate or vanilla, and I was quite pleased. The flavor of the frosting for the strawberry shortcake is what made the cupcake so tasty! The flavor of the red velvet cupcake cake portion made that very tasty, but it was more crumbly/ drier than the strawberry shortcake's vanilla cake base. I liked both of the frostings' textures- airy and not greasy or heavy. Prices were reasonable for the area.

Well done for a non-vegan shop to have such a great variety. Thanks! Will return for sure! Note: parking can be a pain if you drive. Hours are longer than many bakeries, so go after dinner or before, but not too late.

Pros: Vegan cupcakes, Vegan cookies, Vegan creme-filled cookies

Cons: No vegan items displayed, Small cupcakes

Contributions +21

yum-E! - Edit

Very good vegan cookies, especially peanut butter, and delicious cupcakes. Family-run, friendly folks. One of my favorites.

Pros: very tasty, friendly, vegan selections everyday

Cons: none

Awesome small business w./ delicious vegan options - Edit

I came by Bakeshop on Thanksgiving weekend to pick up a vegan cupcake but discovered that the shop was closed. Justin, the owner, was inside and saw us come to the door. He came out and told us to wait and ran back inside to bring us cookies he had in the back. I told him we were vegan (awkwardly) and he went back inside to pull out a vegan chipwich to give us instead as a "thank you" for coming by. It was a really nice gesture and a good reminder why shopping at small businesses is so important. I highly recommend Bakeshop for anyone looking for a sweet treat in the DC area (worth the metro ride).

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly service

Return to Arlington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bakeshop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.