Bagels and Beans - Plaats

+31-703621420

Plaats 21-23, The Hague, Netherlands, 2513 AD

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain of lunchrooms, this one is in the city center in a Jugendstil building close to the Binnenhof/Parliament. Offers some vegetarian and vegan bagels plus sweets, coffee with soymilk option, fresh juices. Uses some fair-trade and organic ingredients. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-5:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Gudrun

nah. - Edit

The staff is friendly but we came here for a little snack at around 12am and they had no soyjoghurt, no veggie bagels and nothing anymore wich was pretty disappointing.

Cons: out of vegan options at 12am

Cosy place with vegan friendly - Edit

I had a lovely vegan bagel with hummus, rucola and sundried tomatoes along with a matcha green tea soy latte. Everything was tasty and the staff was friendly. Nice place to sit down to read a book or get work done.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: Small portions

Waiting for the Weed Bagel - Edit

Bagles & Beans is a Dutch chain opening more and more branches all over the country. They put an emphasis on organic products and sustainability and have quite a few vegetarian items. For vegans, they are often the only place to go - be it because there is no veggie place in town, or because it is early in the morning and there is no vegan breakfast available anywhere else.

All Bagles & Beans branches have the same menu (available in Dutch, English or German) plus sometimes something additional, presented on a flyer.

All branches have great soya cappuccino, fresh juices and two vegan bagels - one with hummus, sun-dried tomatoes and rucola plus a sweet bagle with banana, cinamon and maple syrup. Some have a vegan superfood muffin (this branch has it) and in Amsterdam the vegan "Dutch Weedbagel" (yes, it has to do with the famous "Dutch Weedburger") has recently been introduced in one B&B branch, hopefully it will be rolled out to the other branches as well.

Unfortunately the veggie "tuna" from the "Vegetarian Butcher" is not vegan (yet).

The bagles themselves come in different flavors, not all of them are vegan (better ask, the staff has an internal flyer with all ingredients and can look it up in case of doubts) and vegan items are not labelled on the menu. I aked the staff to make sure that the bagle used for my "hummus bagle" would be vegan and I automatically got the "oatie bagle" which made me think that it was the only vegan one (it was not, I learned later in another B&B branch). When I got it I realized that the "oatie" is really not my favorite bagle, but the hummus was good. The muffin, which was served warm, was quite nice.

This branch is located centrally and has a beautiful interior.

For now I'll give them 3 cows because I think the vegan options are still quite limited, but I will probably change this to 4 cows once I hear that the "Weed Bagel" arrived at this branch. And I hope B&B will start to label vegan + vegetarian items in the menus some day...

Pros: has the vegan muffin, great location + interior

Cons: not enough vegan items, vegan items not labelled in menu

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bagels and Beans - Plaats closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.