Bagels and Beans - Waterlooplein

Contact 020-4288906

Waterlooplein 2, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1011

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dutch-owned chain of lunchrooms offering a menu inspired not by American-style bagels but the tastes and herbs of Europe and Southern France. Offers vegetarian and vegan bagels, sweets, coffee, and fresh juices. Could replace cream cheese with hummus for some items. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sat 8:30am-5:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by IsabelleChili7

Good bagels but not a lot of choice for vegans - Edit

I've tried this place because it offers some vegan bagels, even if they are not labelled accordingly. One of them was clearly vegan: with hummus and dried tomatoes, but I had to ask to replace the cream cheese by hummus in another one. In terms of taste and portion size, I find the place very good. They also offer fresh juices at a reasonable price and the place is pleasant. However, they finally charged me an extra cost for having replace the cream cheese by a small portion of hummus, that I found very unfair. To sum up, they have few vegan choices that are not labelled and they increase prices when replacing cream cheese by hummus. Those are the main negative points I've to report. We also had to ask several times to have our table cleaned... Go there if you have no other options.

Pros: good bagels, hummus options, convenient location

Cons: few vegan choices, not labelled, hummus at extra cost instead of cheese, service

Spacious Bagels - Edit

A very spacious branch of the ever polular veggie friendly Bagels & Beans chain set on a nice canal near the National Opera. The menu is the same a the other branches around town. No problem at all finding a suitable veg or vegan bagel to suit your mood. To drink I wouldn't look any further than the soya matcha latte or if you fancy something cold a deliciously chilled Wostok pine cone lemonade. Bagels start from €4.95 for the goats cheese, honey and walnut to €6.35 for the vegan tuna salad made with fish free tuna from the Vegetarian Butcher (now known as the Vegetarian Trader - de Vegetarische Traiteur). The staff are also pretty open to suggestions, so if you want a bagel with hummus, avocado, sun dried tomatoes and pine kernels, you will get one.

Pros: great bagels, nice atmosphere, decent prices

Cons: meat is served

Delicious brunch - Edit

The service was very quick, primarily due to it being Easter Monday. We arrived at around 11:30am and had all eaten by 12:05pm. Me and my mum both ordered a tea and my dad had a "large" coffee. I ordered the Assam tea and my mum had the pomegranate & mint tea. My mum said it was refreshing yet sweet and would also be nice cold; She enjoyed her tea so much that she bought some after. The coffee a "good coffee" and quite bitter.
For mains, I ordered the hummus, sun-dried tomatoes, and rucloa (like rocket) on a wholewheat spelt bagel. My mum had a tomato bagel with smoked chicken, avocado, basil dressing, pine nuts, and rocket. My dad also had a tomato bagel but a blt filling. The bagels were toasted to perfection as they were crunchy yet still soft.
Personally, I may have a bit too much hummus as it dripped out the sides, but it was very nice and creamy. The tomatoes were utterly delicious and I wished I had more.
My mum couldn't eat her's with her hands as it was too hearty. The dressing was very tasty and sun-dried tomatoes would have worked well with it too.
My dad enjoyed his; the bacon was cooked very well and he mustard was subtle enough to be enjoyed.
Also, amongst the sugar, there were these tiny little coffee chocolates in shapes of beans. I don't know if they're vegan or not, but they were incredibly addicting.

Pros: Very quick service, Spacious/ enough room, Would rate 5 cows if I could

Cons: Only one toilet per gender

delicious - Edit

we had a goat's cheese honey walnut bagel and a mushroom burger...they were both delicious.
Definitely worth a visit, lots to choose from, and the staff are happy to switch things around for you.
when the got chocolate arrived, it was a cup of both milk and a separate bowl of milk chocolate drops...Yummy!

Pros: good selection

Cons: none

Loved it - Edit

I believe I had the tuscan bagel (with hummus) and it was really nice that they had soy milk as an option, which is tough to come across in Europe. It had a really cute atmosphere and the employees were very friendly.

It was a nice, easy breakfast and we actually went both mornings that we were there because it was that good. And they had free wifi so it was a nice place for us to kind of gather our plans for the day over a nice breakfast.

But, since we went twice, we noticed that it can get really packed in there and then it's a bit of a slower meal, which didn't bother us at all but watch out for that if you're in a rush.

Pros: Great Food

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bagels and Beans - Waterlooplein closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.