Bagels and Beans - Raadhuisstraat

Contact 020-6380788

Raadhuisstraat 18, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1016 DE

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dutch-owned chain of lunchrooms Bagels & Beans offers a menu inspired not by American-style bagles but the tastes and herbs of Europe and Southern France. Offers vegetarian and vegan bagels, sweets, coffee, and fresh juices. Could replace cream cheese with hummus for some items. Open Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

Good, but expensive - Edit

I came here twice. Both time staff was helpful when I asked vegan options. They wasnt marked in menu. They should do that.

Good food, I highly recommended bagel with avocado and hummus, but I think that for breakfast its quit expensive place.

Pros: Kind and nice staff sometimes, Clean place, Hummus...

Cons: Expensive

great vegan options! - Edit

All of their bagels are vegan and they let you switch out hummus for any bagel on the menu with cream cheese. The already vegan ones are: avocado with tomato and lettuce, banana with maple syrup and cinnamon, and hummus with sundries tomatoes and rocket. Fair prices and delicious bagels!

not a lot of vegan options - Edit

I like this place it's cozy and the food is good. BUT, they don't have a lot of vegan options; only the hummus bagel, which is excellent and some drinks. The prices are not too bad though and I love hummus and their matcha lattes, so that's why I always go back.

Few options, but great quality - Edit

Although there weren't many vegan options available, the menu did have a couple of vegetarian options. The staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable, and allowed us to substitute various ingredients.

In the end we had the vegetarian chicken (from the Vegetarian Butcher) teriyaki bagel, with hummus. This isn't marked as vegan on the menu, but I'd highly recommend it!

Pros: Excellent food quality, Central location , Friendly staff

Cons: Very few options , Fairly expensive

Good food, the rest so-so - Edit

I'll begin with the most important thing - the food.
We had a mushroom burger and a salad, both decent meals in terms of price, taste and portion.
Staff was friendly.

On the downside, the place is very small, I'd recommend take-away as seating can be problematic. They do not accept Mastercard, which I was not aware of beforehand, so other cards or cash is recommended (I always carry some cash just in case so avoided trouble).
While we were there they dragged a stinky container for glass recycling through the restaurant which was unpleasant and the tables were poorly cleaned.

Pros: Food, Price

Cons: Not so clean, Payment options

Food was good - Service so-so - Edit

First of all, I had the Tuscany Bagel and it was really delicious. The Hummus was good and the tomatoes very fresh and tasty.

The service however was a very slow, we waited ages for the completely overloaded waitress to clean our table and remove the dishes from the people before, and when I asked the girl on the counter which bagels are vegan, I got a weird look, but she asked and told me all of them are vegan.
It took very long until we got the food, but as I said it was very good. I had a Soymilk Matcha and it was delicious too!

When the place calmed down a bit, the employees were really friendly and nice when we went to pay the bill, so maybe this was a one time thing and does not happen regularly.

Since they have a lot of options, this place is great to enjoy also with non vegan friends.

Pros: Vegan Drinks, Location, Price

Cons: Slow service

Not that good - Edit

Based on the reviews, I expected a lot from this place.
The truth is: if you're vegan you'll only have the bagel with hommus option. The bagel is really good and tasted like fresh, but the hommus is just... regular (just kidding, all hommuses are awesome).
I would go back if it was the only place around.

Yummy in my tummy - Edit

We traveled with non-vegan/non-vegetarian friends and this place was awesome compromise! Me and my boyfriend is vegans and it was an awesome breakfast experience! Try their juices and specially the all mixed one, yuuuum! We ordered the banana maple syrup bagel and the hummus sun dried tomato one and them both was so great! I also had their macha tea with soymilk and I want it again! I can really recommend it for vegans and for people that want to compromise with their friends/family and everyone can get a big/small breakfast, with alot of different options!

Pros: Big variation, Good juices and food, Nice staff

Cons: Would want vegan symbols marked out

Bagel Bash - Edit

Think Bagel Nash in the UK but better. Cool and hip bagel joint not too far from Dam Sq just on the right heading out on Raadhuistraat half way between Singel and Herengracht. Very busy when we went on 31.12.2013, there was a long wait for food but definitely worth it. The bagels are filling and freshly prepared and the vegetarian and vegam choice is excellent with fillings such as avocado, sun dried tomatoes, olive tapenade, humous, mozarella cheese, pine nuts, cream cheese and pesto. They also do a bagel with a meat-free steak in it from the local vegetarian butcher just down the road. Prices are pretty decent ranging from approx 4-6 EUR for bagels or 9.95 EUR for a 3 course lunch of bagel, coffee and fruit juice. I've just finished eating and am extremely satisfied indeed with the whole experience. I'd certainly recommend a hot soya drink called the Matcha Latte which is a bit like a hot and sweet wheatgrass.

Pros: fresh, good choice, many vegan options

Cons: Some meat served

yummy! - Edit

I really enjoyed bagels and beans. It seemed silly to go back to a chain several times on a short trip however I just really enjoyed it and it felt homely

I had an everything bagel with hommus, avo, tomatoes, chives and leaves

So good!

A chain w many locations - Edit

Excellent humus. I write to note that his location isn't the only one.

I saw that there are at least a dozen or so Bagels & Beans scattered throughout the city. Go to their website and check out all the locations if this one is too far from you.

Pros: Great humus

Cons: Only humus, no other vegan food

Great place for coffee and bagels in Netherlands - Edit

Go in here and order a large soy cappuccino and a bagel, and sit there happily for an hour or so, you won't regret it.

There are suggested bagel sandwiches on the menu, but you can just create your own - I'm a big fan of hummus with sun-dried tomatoes and rocket on a sesame bagel myself, and this place didn't disappoint. (Nor did the Utrecht branch, though they'd run out of sesame bagels there.)

It's a bit weird that your fillings come in little dishes on the side instead of a ready-made sandwich, but it's quite nice and there's always enough left over to munch on afterwards.

They also have some great fresh juices - try the raspberry! (Though it's not the cheapest thing, it is delicious.)

If you're vegan but don't like hummus, though, you might find the choices lacking somewhat. If you're veggie rather than vegan, they serve faux-tuna and lots of cream cheeses, so plenty of choice for you.

The company is also quite good on fair-trade and sustainable matters, if the info at the back of the menu is to be believed.

Pros: location, good veggie choices, soy cappuccino

Visiting Bagels and Beans - Edit

I went into Bagels and Beans, because it seemed like a place that could serve vegan food. I asked if they had anything vegan on the menu, and the waitress went up to the bar and came back with a list with the title "vegan". I ordered a bagel with grilled veggies and hummus instead of cream cheese. It was very delicious, and it seemed like there were much to choose from, even if you're vegan.

Pros: Nice staff, Much to choose from, Tastes good

Cons: Crowded

Vegan.. with milkprotein? eh.. - Edit

At first it seemed like a really nice place. Servers were busy, but there were full, at it was a rainy day, so that was ok. My omnivor-parents found something to eat, and I was surprised; they had mega-vega 'tuna'salad! wow, I asked if it were vegan. The server asked in the bar, and yes yes, no milkproducts, cheese, eggs, anything. I ate it with pleasure - in facts, it was really Delicious.. The price was fine, and I enjoyed the latte with soymilk and hazelnutsyrup.. mmmh. Yum.
Then I came home, and I wanted to tjek out the website - The Vegetarian Butcher, were they get their tunasalad. And I was really sad to read about the milk and milkprotein in the salad. Right now, I feel really bad about this restaurant, because they did not know what they were serving..

I am vegan - and I am happy I am not lactose-intolerant!

Pros: Friendly staff, Ok price, Good latte

Cons: Few vegan things, The tunasalad

Great breakfast place - Edit

Short of an all-vegan cafe, this has been my favorite breakfast place so far. They have coffee with soy milk and can prepare the Tuscany bagel with hummus, as mentioned before. The tuscany bagel is just great, their pesto comes with whole roasted pine nuts, the hummus is one of the best I've tasted, and the sundried tomatoes appear to be fresh, if that makes any sense. They definitely taste better than the regular oil-packed kind. You can get an extra bagel for very little money (I think it was 1 Euro), as the spread is well enough for two.

The staff was very friendly, too. I felt bad for them, as another customer was giving them a hard time, but they handled it well.

Pros: delicious, has soy coffee latte, friendly staff

Cons: small vegan selection

Great bagels with vegan options! - Edit

I went to Bagels & Beans for breakfast after the owner of a nearby vegan restaurant recommended it as one of his favorite places in town. I was really craving good vegan breakfast food and this place definitely hit the spot. Simply replace almost any bagel with hummus and its vegan (obviously there are some exceptions to this). I ordered the Tuscany, which came with came with hummus (it tasted so good!), sun dried tomatoes (yum!), and black tapenade (tasty!), on an everything bagel. It was so good that I attempted a second visit on my way to the airport. I really liked this place, it's also a good place to go if you're traveling with people that are not vegan as a compromise.

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bagels and Beans - Raadhuisstraat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5411 times since Oct 2010.