Bagels and Beans

• Veg-friendly
Contact 033-465-8888

Arnhemsestraat 33, Amersfoort, Netherlands, 3811LG

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain bagel restaurant. Could ask for a bagel with avocado and humus or a bagel with banana and maple syrup. Has soy milk for coffee. Free Wi-Fi.

Category: Western, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Gudrun

lots of vegan options, tasty, friendly staff - Edit

Bagels and beans always has some vegan options. Bagels are all vegan except the gluten free one, so I'm told. Vegan toppings include vegan 'chicken' from 'the vegetarian butcher', hummus, avocado, banana and maple syrup, and some restaurants have the no-meat burgers, including this location. The chilly burger and Dutch weed burger are vegan. They also have soy yoghurt so you can order the yoghurts. (It's not on the menu but I figured I'll just ask and they do!) I really like the yoghurt with banana and walnuts called Nootgeval. They also have soy milk for cappuccino.
Friendly staff, sometimes crowded (especially on Saturdays). Overall nice place.

Pros: lots of tasty vegan options , friendly staff

Cons: sometimes crowded (especially on Saturdays), also serves meat

Nice lunchroom also for vegans - Edit

Beans & Bagles is a famous Dutch chain with branches all over the country. They all have exactly the same menu and similar decoration. Often B&B is the only place for vegans to go for breakfast or lunch. Some branches have a vegan muffin which is presently being rolled out to more and more places, and a branch in Amsterdam is presently testing a vegan bagle, both in addition to the regular menu.

It does not happen too often that I visit branches of the same chain and order the same food two days in a row. But when I arrived in Amersfoort it seemed to be the only place for a vegan lunch - again. The day before I had visited a B&B in another city.

The staff in Amersfoort was extremely friendly and did quite some effort to find out what was vegan and what could be veganized. They used an internal document listing vegan-and non-vegan food as a reference and showed it to me. This branch did not (yet) have the vegan muffin but next to the two vegan bagles from the menu the staff checked what else could be veganized (they offered, e.g., an avocado bagle). They even checked if the chocolate coffee beans which came with the coffee were vegan (they were not).

I ordered - same as the day before - a hummus bagle, but this time I was informed that the various bagles themselves were all vegan except the glutenfree one and I did not just receive one default "vegan" bagle (as I did in the other B&B branch after I said it is important to me that the bagle itself is also vegan). So I could select the sort of the bagle (plain/sesamy/ oathie...).

The bagle was nicely arranged with hummus, salad and sundried tomatoes and had some cucumber slices in addition to what I had the day before which just made it all a bit fresher. Somehow it felt as if everything was arranged with love which felt a bit different in that other branch.

I wish they had more vegan options and vegan labeling in the menu but still this is a place which makes vegans feel welcome.

Pros: has vegan options, very friendly staff, located in city center

Cons: could have more vegan options, vegan items not labeled

Return to Amersfoort Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bagels and Beans closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 926 times since Oct 2013.