Back to the Grind

Contact 951-784-0800

3575 University Ave (at Orange), Riverside, California, USA, 92501

Serves meat, vegan options available. Local cafe with menu including vegan pizza, mock meats, and vegan dessert options. Cafe turns into after hours hang out after the local bars close, they serve food for the late night crowd and includes vegan hot dogs and additional items to their late night menu. Local musicians perform most nights. Cafe is decorated in art by local artists. Free Wi-Fi. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by badrelijen

Brick Pizza Oven NO! Toaster Oven YES - Edit

this was the worst. We read the reviews and they described a thin crust pizza.
This was a frozen pizza they heated in a toaster oven (heard the 'ding') Invidual size for $8. Thick dough-y and lousy and not even hot. The staff was 'artistic' but nice. the best thing is that they were open until 11pm. Nothing else was open.

Pros: open late, nice staff, artistic surroundings

Cons: horrible pizza. thick dough-y, no veg selections except pizza, no veg desserts except 1 cookie

Only serve one vegan item now- Pizza - Edit

This place had high ceilings, plenty of tables, eclectic art, and above-average super friendly staff. Unfortunately they no longer serve vegan desserts, and only have cheese or pepperoni vegan pizza. I got the pepperoni, and it was good. It was personal pizza size, and I finished it. The guy behind the counter made me a tropical ice tea after recommending it, and that was very tasty as well. They did have some packages of Heart Thrive vegan granola hearts, so I grabbed that as my dessert. Great place, but it could use more food options. Excellent staff, though.

Pros: Friendly staff, Lots of teas, soy cheese for pizza

Cons: only 1 food option, stopped carrying vegan desserts, lots of seating for a coffee house

I had a much different experience then the previous reviewer. The pizza was excellent. Loved the thin "crispy" crust and toppings were great. Very laid back atmsophere. I highly recommend.

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff , Excellent pizza

Cons: Not in LA where I live

BTTGs vegan pizza - Edit

I used to go to Back to the Grind all the time, before they had many vegan options. I was pretty excited when I walked by one day and noticed a sign outside that said they have vegan pizza...excited enough to stop, go in, and try one. I wish I could say it was really great, but...what I got was a super thin, burnt, crispy piece of something resembling pizza. Maybe if it hadn't been burnt it would have been better, and perhaps I should have asked for another one, but the guy who made it for me didn't seem to mind that it looks like a charred piece of cardboard when he gave it to me so...
This doesn't mean I won't give it another try. I usually have really great experiences at Back to the Grind, and would like to go back as they start to carry more and more vegan items.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: burnt, dry

Return to Riverside Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Back to the Grind closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2777 times since Sep 2009.