Back To Eden Bakery

Contact 503-477-5022

2217 NE Alberta St (at Alberta District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97211

Small-batch bakery in the Alberta neighborhood which is known for its arts community. Makes desserts, pastries, lunch bites and sandwiches, hot soup, non-dairy soft serve. Serves organic fair-trade coffee. Vegan and gluten-free with soy-free and sugar-free options.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by HM

Delicious desserts without excess sugar - Edit

I had the Oatmeal Whoopie pie and Stone berry crumble pie. Both were amazing. Everything was not too sweet and quite satisfying. Though I didn't eat most of the cream in the Whoopie pie because I don't like that kind of cream but the cookie was so freaking delicious and softly baked.

Best vegan bakery! - Edit

Tiny, but amazing little vegan bakery. Soft serve is incredible! I was visiting town for 4 days, and even though there are so many places for vegans, I went back a second time. The baked goods are incredible too! I wanted one of each, but that was impossible. I tried about 5 different items and all were amazing.

Pros: Great assortment of baked goods, Soft-serve!! Enough said!

Vegan Heaven - Edit

We got a banana split and a Oregon trail Sunday and a peanut butter crunch bar. All amaaaaazing! Thank you thank you thank you from my taste buds ;) I would for sure go back the service was great and the food was even better!

Pros: vegan Ice cream! , all vegan, good service

The Gold Standard in Vegan Bakeries - Edit

In a city with several excellent vegan bakeries, Back to Eden is my favorite. The service is always helpful and friendly, and the food is delicious. While some of items change seasonally, they have a fairly consistent line of baked goods including pies, cookies, cupcakes, pastries and other goodies.

For my taste, the standouts are the pies, the Lemon Cream in particular. The lemon filling and cream topping are the perfect mix of sweet and tangy. The chocolate cream pie is rich but not too heavy, and the crusts are just about perfect. Other favorites are the Toffee Bars and Cinnamon Rolls. The soft serve and sundaes are also excellent.

If there's one item where they could use some improvement it's the cookies. The flavor is solid but the texture is could be improved. But that's a minor quibble in a bakery that hits the mark with pretty much everything else. I've only sampled a couple of the savory items and those were also quite good, so it's a great stop for a light lunch.

I usually reserve a five star rating for a place that's near flawless, but Back to Eden gets it right in so many ways that it's easy to overlook the few areas where they fall just a little short of excellent.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly Service

Great ice cream, friendly staff - Edit

The highlight of our visit to back to eden was the woman behind the counter. I wish I had written down her name, but she was super friendly and gave us tips for places to go in town.
We got ice cream, a banana split and a sundae. Both were great! We shared a little Boston cream pie that was just ok. I would love to come back and try more of their bakery items.

SE Division - awesome funkiness - Edit

Visiting Portland, we were new to the concept of food trucks congregated together. That is where we found Back to Eden Bakery. I'm glad we didn't go to their main location, because we would have missed the eclectic experience of the SE Division location. We visited this location on three different occasions during our stay in Portland.

My spouse and I both loved their savory tarts. We especially enjoyed the Spinach and Mushroom tart and Tomato with Cashew Cream. They were both amazing and filling. On the sweet side, I enjoyed the coconut cream pies, both chocolate and lemon. My spouse loved the chocolate peanut butter toffee bar. On one trip, I took advantage of their ice cream and enjoyed a shake for the first time in over five years.

This location provided outdoor seating for all the food trucks, so you could end up sharing a table with anyone. Every time we went, the place was crowded, but always with good-natured folks.

Pros: Great food, Good selection, Great service

Cons: Ordering system - not great

Not just a bakery! - Edit

We've been here once and plan to go again. In addition to bakery items, they have a full ice cream bar with sundaes and warm meals. We only got ice cream (for there) and bakery items (to go). The ice cream was fabulous. The whole place is 100% vegan. The bakery items were a little gritty, as to be expected since they were gluten-free. We look forward to having sundaes and hot food there.

This bakery is right in the heart of Alberta Street--a long street with quaint little shops on both sides. This means that parking is challenging. They also barely have any seating, just a few small tables inside.

Pros: All vegan, Consistently known around the world, Amazing ice cream!

Cons: Pricey, Parking, Small seating area

friendly place great food - Edit

We had a couple of the salads there, some potato soup and some ice cream. The salads were ok but the soup was very good. Soft serve vegan ice cream is still a rare treat for me so it was fun and tasty. The baked goods all looked awesome.

Pros: friendly people, good food

YUMMY!! - Edit

Cute bakery with lots to offer. I had a nice lunch of tomato soup and a savory sundried tomato scone. For dessert I had the blueberry lavender cheesecake which was delish! The area is super cute too to walk your lunch off and come back for their soft serve ice cream!

And a 2nd location! - Edit

Back to Eden has opened a cart on Division and SE 29th (the Tidbit pod). As usual, the savories are outstanding: cashew tarts and seasonal quiche. Two new donuts, rosewater pistachio and rootbeer chocolate, are excellent. My all-time favorite is the chocolate cream pie. They're doing sundaes and soft-serve at the cart, too. I've always found the staff to be helpful and cheerful.

Adorable place, but I didn't love the sweets. - Edit

I love baked goods, so I came in here to get a few before my plane ride home. They were so beautiful, and my boyfriend loved the German chocolate cupcake, but I didn't feel like the rose water cupcake was as good as mine. The cookie we got was excellent, though. The raw lemon bar I also didn't like. The things I didn't like had this kind of sick aftertaste that certain icings have for some reason. I feel like only some people notice it, and I'm one of them. Still, such a cute all-vegan place! I'd love to come back for ice cream.

Plant Based Goodness - Edit

Today we were in a search for a vegan donut (a part of a long standing Sunday tradition) We tried to get to VooDoo but the line was ridiculously long. So we adventured all day and ended up searching for vegan soft serve and found this little gem! They not only had soft serve, but donuts too :) I got the chocolate lavender and the soulmate got a vanilla latte. We shared a berry pistachio donut. The presentation of all the treats was awesome! I loved the tree logo too. I want to come back for breakfast to try the biscuits and walnut sage gravy.

Pros: Atmosphere , Quality, Helpfulness

Vegan soft serve! - Edit

The soft serve is soo good I usually forget to even look in the case at the piles of tasty-looking vegan baked items. Vegans will not be disappointed here.

Pros: Vegan!, Soft serve!, Did I mention soft serve?!

If you are Vegan and GF that is the place - Edit

I love to eat there. Just to go in and know that everything is vegan and GF!
The food and the pastries
Sometimes you need to wait in line for long time.

Pros: Vegan, GF, Good food

Cons: EXPENSIVE

Just plain AWESOME! - Edit

Love Back to Eden Bakery. Since going Vegan its nice to have a bakery that really gets it. Even though I am a Vegan I still want yummy Vegan pastries, desserts, ice cream and the occasional milkshake. I spoil myself every time I can when we are in Portland by stopping in and getting some stuff to take home. My guilty Vegan pleasure...Chocolate Lavender milkshake!!! Freakin' delicious!
The chocolate silk pies are wonderful as well, the crust I think is my favorite part. But don't come in just for one thing, because the menu will always give you so many things to decide on. They are not just for dessert. They have lunch offerings too. Like Quiche, cashew tarts, soups, chili and cornbread, Kale salad, chickpea "tuna" wrap.
This is how my usual stop into the bakery starts...
Should I get lunch or just focus on dessert...what about the decadent cupcakes...and coffee...oh but the soft serve ice cream. Mmmm! How about a chickpea tuna wrap with a milkshake and a quiche to take home for breakfast tomorrow....then I'll get a whoopie pie and a cinnamon roll for my roommate, and for myself for later a raw cheesecake or coconut cream pie. Yep, it never fails
I go in the bakery only wanting the drink and come out with a bag full of goodies.

Pros: Variety on menu, Hours, Location

Cons: Small dine-in area, Crowded when busy

Best vegan soft serve on earth! - Edit

I had the chocolate vanilla swirl in a vegan waffle cone. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I can't wait to go back and try more yummy treats! Very cute little shop!

Worth the bus ride - Edit

My boyfriend and I popped in here for dessert after finishing dinner nearby. We shared a brownie. It wasn't too sweet and had melty chocolate chips throughout (I had the staff warm it)—delicious! I also got a lavender peach scone to go for the next morning. I thought it was an interesting combination and not something you'd come across easily, let alone a vegan version. It tasted lovely even at room temperature and day-old. The guy behind the counter was friendly and very patient with my many questions. Besides sweet items, they also had savory ones like tempeh pies, cheddar scones, etc., which looked very good too.

The surrounding area was pretty cool with tons of eateries and little shops. It was well worth the 30-minute bus ride up here (we stayed downtown)!

Pros: delicious baked goods, selection

Ice cream is for lovers! - Edit

Vegan sundaes? Are you for real?1?!?!?!?
Not only did I eat my weight in SOFT SERVE ice cream here, I also got to have the most beautifully delicate chocolate lavender milkshake.
They have lunch food and mini cakes and other desserts but I couldn't get over the milkshakes and sundaes. Everything we tried was top notch and perfect for the hot weather we were enjoying while visiting Portland.
Mark this at the top of your list vegans!

Pros: White chocolate chips?!?!?!?!?, Vegan sundaes!, Milkshakes!

Cons: Super tiny, limited seating, Counter staff a tad rude

OMG! - Edit

My friends wanted to try the traditional "biscuit and gravy" dish across the street, and man, was I ever happy I did not go there and found this little gem instead!

At Back to Eden bakery not only you get the traditional dish in its healthy version, but you get it with style!

I mean, the food was delish, did not leave a crumb in my bowl: the biscuits and scrumptious, the gravy velvety, and the walnut sausage out of this world, all washed down with an out-of-this-world jasmine/lavender kombucha... but the décor, the music, and the displays... even the employee's shoes are made to the resemble 50s era.

What a magical place!

Pity I had no room to try dessert then because their coffees and teas looked amazing, but I had a take out box of their baked goodies to a party I had later, and they were scrumptious! The brownie, the pjb whopie pie, the pistachio/cardamom cupcake, the chocolate/root beer doughnut, were all hoovered like there was no tomorrow... Good enough to fool non-vege people!

Seriously, I could not live in this neighbourhood, I'd be such an addict!

Pros: Taste, Decor, Music

Cons: none

Yummy!!! - Edit

This place has great baked goods, soups and "ice cream." Their biscuits and gravy is awesome too! Everything is vegan and gluten free, but I never notice because it's so darned tasty! I have shared their goodies with my omnivore friends a few times, and several of them asked where I got the delicious treats.

Pros: Vegan, Friendly staff, Rotating/seasonal flavors

Cons: Small seating area

The best bakery in the world! - Edit

Their lavender cookies are the best cookies I've had in my life. I've tried their muffins, vegan cheesecake, ice cream, soups, and quiches. They are all delicious. Back to Eden is my favorite place in Portland!

Pros: best baked goods in the world, delicious vegan icecream, offers light lunches/dinners too

Cons: very tiny shop

Gluten free, vegan bakery - Edit

This bakery is gluten free and vegan, and though my husband and I are vegan we are not gluten free. That doesn't stop us from going to Back To Eden when we're in Portland. They serve soft serve soy ice cream which my husband likes, but I prefer the coconut ice cream. They make these little kale tomato cashew tarts that and we get them to go and bring them home, they are AMAZING. We usually get some sort of treat to bring home when we are there, and everything is consistently good... whether you are gluten-free or not! This and Sweetpea are definitely my favorite bakeries in Portland.. although this place wins in the friendliness department.

Pros: cashew kale tarts, vegan ice cream, yummy baked treats

Cons: not next door to my house

This place is the best!! - Edit

It has been a long time since I have been able to walk into a restaurant/bakery and have a sense of security knowing that ANYTHING I buy will be vegan AND gluten free...on top of this, everything I have ordered here is DELICIOUS (absolutely amazing soft serve...)

The staff is always incredibly friendly and helpful.

Pros: vegan, gluten-free, friendly, cozy atmosphere

Yummmy and mostly gluten free - Edit

I love this little place and I can't say enough about how yummy it is. Also lot's of choices that vary daily. I especially love that majority of the cakes and pastries are now gluten-free. They change the soft serve out weekly. And there's now a small variety of savory menu as well.

Pros: Yummmy food, gluten free choices

Ah-mazing!! - Edit

I love this place. Their peanut butter fudge, whoopie pies and scones are great! I just special ordered my birthday cake. It's all gluten free and strawberry hazelnut. Granted it was pricey to get a vegan cake but always has been.

Pros: desserts, lunch, drinks

Cons: a little pricey

Rocking awesome treats and community support! - Edit

In 2012 I was a volunteer at the Sexual Minority Youth Resource Center (SMYRC) and in charge of putting on their prom. Part of our responsibilities was soliciting donations for the event.

Back to Eden kindly donated vegan cupcakes for our event and all of the youth loved them! We wouldn't have been able to make it happen without kind donors like BTE.

I go there whenever I can and everything I've gotten from them has been amazing.

Pros: service, food, community involvement

Would try again - Edit

Heard a lot about this place and was excited to go, but was disappointed. On the day we visited, it was sunny and hot, so we had a chocolate caramel milkshake--which was very light and thin. Taste was nice and it was refreshing, but was not thick and rich like we anticipated. Next time I'd go for a baked good or chocolate instead. Small store, with little seating, but probably ample. Servers were courteous, but not at all warm and fuzzy friendly. With all the great reviews I'd read about this place, I left disappointed in the experience.

Pros: Desserts!, Nice cozy cafe, Ice cream happy hour

Cons: Thin shakes, Not overly friendly, tight seating

Wonderful Little Vegan Bakery and Ice Cream Shop - Edit

Portland has choices when it comes to Vegan Bakeries and this one is pretty f'n fantastic. Seriously the choices available are astounding. I just had a marionberry milkshake but I was watching all the people come in and out and hangout and it was such a cool little vib. A lot of the people come for the GF aspect of it and weren't even aware of the place being Vegan, which it does not advertise, if I had not seen this place on Happy Cow I would have walked right on by, in fact I did walk by but my moble app told me to turn around and I'm glad I did. I think a previous reviewer called the decor "girly" and that's a good word for it but it is also charming and while it is small is a fun little place. This place is not just a bakery the choices of lunches, sandwiches and ice cream is pretty sweet. Indeed it was cool just seeing a vegan ice cream soft serve machine, with too many choices to choose from. Vegans with choices, I couldn't speak higher of this place.

Pros: Sellection, sellection, sellection, atmosphere, Location, next to many vegan options

Cons: maybe the price a little , smallish

YES! - Edit

This place is so beautiful. The decor is really great even though it is really small. The staff were extremely nice. VERY good food.

My boyfriend and I went here for the first time yesterday morning. It was GREAT! I had the Asparagus Cashew Tart -gluten free. I was SO SO good. So good I could eat it every day for a month before tiring of it. Yeah, that good. AND no one would ever know it was gluten free if you didn't tell them. The crust was flaky and delicious, so do not let the fact the something is gluten free keep you from trying it. I do not have any allergies but I do love good food.

My boyfriend got the Green Chile Empanada. He said it was good with a delicious crust. He also got a raw Key Lime Pie by Divine Pie that they sell here. He said it was very good, loved the flavor. You can find whole Divine Pies down the street at the Alberta St. Co-op.

We shared a Apple Cheddar Sage Scone which I LOVED!!!!

In addition to these items we shared a small bowl of the vanilla soft serve (with chocolate and caramel sauce and peanuts) which was better than traditional soft serve!!! Go Chicago Vegan Foods! Also we got a Boston Creme Mini Cake and a Lemon Strawberry Whoopie Pie-gluten free. The whoopie pie again you would never know was gluten free. Very good strong strawberry flavor with a hint of fresh lemon. The Boston Creme Cake was eaten the next day and was okay. I am sure it would have been much better if it had been eaten (as it should have been) at the time of purchase.

Didn't have a great experience - Edit

When I went to Back to Eden I got the blackberry turnover and some peanut butter fudge. The turnover was way too greasy and sweet and the fudge was way too sweet. I've heard their ice cream is awesome and I would like to go back and try that, but I wasn't impressed with the baked goods I had.

This place will make your sweet tooth ecstatic - Edit

If you love sweets, Back to Eden will not disappoint. You'll find scrumptious cakes, oookies, pies, cupcakes, and so on along with ice cream and candy. If your not in the mood for a sugary treat, they also offer bagels, quiche, calzone and several other items, and both hot and cold drinks. While very small (seats 14), this place is quiet and clean, and free WIFI is offered. Its a great place to treat yourself to a yummy while doing some reading, homework, etc. Check out the small, but good selection of vegan cookbooks for sale.

Pros: great selection, tasty treats, clean and quiet

Yummmmmmm - Edit

Coconut cream pie - how do they get the texture?!
My daughter thought it was the best soft serve ever!
Vegan candy by the pound, carmel topping for the soft serve. Wish we lived in the area!!!

Pros: yummy, yummy, friendly staff

Cons: not in california

Adorable Bakery - Edit

I tried the cinnamon roll and whoopie pie. Loved them both, but particularly the whoopie pie. I can't wait to try the soft-serve once the warmer months hit :) oh and I love the girly, nature-inspired art/gifts they sell.

Pros: Delicious baked goods, Friendly staff

Awesome vegan bakery! - Edit

I didn't know it's an ALL VEGAN bakery until I asked them. They try to use as much homegrown products as they can as well as organic. Their cashew veggie quiche was to die for, and we loved the tarts, croissant and calzones. Highly recommended.

Awesome - Edit

It's a good thing I don't live near Alberta st. Between Dovetail bakery and Back to Eden, I'd become whale sized quickly by gorging their ice cream sundaes and other treats. I wished I had the room to eat some of their cakes, which looked amazing. But what I did eat was delicious, and recommend you visit soon!

This place is amazing!! - Edit

I am so happy to have found this place!!! I love soft serve and haven't had it since becoming a vegan. I tell you, a chocolate/vanilla swirl with home-made caramel sauce and vegan marshmallows or chocolate creme cookies will rock you! The staff is super friendly, and very excited about their jobs and the treats. I hope this place stays in business forever, as it is amazing! I highly suggest the vegan soft serve with lots of toppings. The portions are big and the price is just right.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Amazing Soft Serve, Spotless Bathroom

Cons: Small Seating Area

Classic appeal - Edit

This bakery draws you into its nostalgic appearance from the moment you open the door. They have a few items for sale on their shelves, a lovely counter with high stools, an enticing set of displays for the baked goods, candies and charming woodwork.

This was the first time at Back to Eden, and not too disappointing. The items looked delightful in a down-to-earth, homey fashion. Plenty to choose from, including cakes, pies, small tarts, scones, muffins, cookies, fudge and soft serve Temptation ice cream! As noted by another reviewer, they also have savory items. While the selection is nice, some of the items looked as though they had dried out and/or were suffering from bad lighting.

They also serve coffee and tea, which is nice.

The ice cream is a treat. The selection of large cookies is appealing, but upon tasting one, it tasted a bit too salty for my preference. Great concepts though. The cheesecake has a richness that compliments the flavor, but the texture resembled vegan cream cheese a bit too much for my preference. The cake slice sampled looked good, with a strong pink color denoting its raspberry flavor. However, the chocolate cake itself was just too dry. This may have been a result of sitting out for too long. A small single-serve tart looked appealing and had an excellent combination of flavors with blueberries, nuts and caramel. It would've been more satisfying if the filling weren't so runny.

Overall, this place is adorable and provides a nice haven for those seeking vegan baked goods. Since they've only been open a little while, it may take time for them to reach their true potential. They certainly stand a fighting chance to be amazing! I would definitely check this place out again on a regular basis to measure the improvement that is sure to happen.

Pros: Decor, Soft serve ice cream, Selection

Cons: Still new, More seating, Freshness

Delidiousness Prevails - Edit

I have been a regular at Back To Eden since they opened. Everything they make is top notch and wonderful. The store decor is awesome and screams comfort. I have had the famous pumpkin whoopie pies, marionberry cheesecake, pumkin scnes, maple scones, cupcakes, boston cream cake, all very tasty indeed. Also their savory items are most excellent as well.

Pros: Tasty deliciousness, great people, VEGAN

dangerous territory! - Edit

Yes, I moved to NE and right afterwards I heard about Back to Eden opening up. Wow. I mean, gluten free pumpkin cheese cake that was gobbled up by everyone at my birthday party, vegan and non vegan alike. Peanut butter fudge, lemon strawberry cheesecake, MOIST and yummy gluten AND soy free muffins, moist and very full of flavor cupcakes.... and all within a few blocks from my home. dangerous territory!!! Oh, and the owner/baker/partner/staff... amazing people.

Pros: yum, organic, wow

Cons: too, close, to me

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Back To Eden Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6004 times since Oct 2009.