Baan Wasana

778-371-8971

2143 W 41st Ave (at Arbutus), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6M 1Z6

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vancouver Thai food restaurant with a separate vegetarian menu (you need to ask for it) where majority of the dishes are vegan or can be made vegan by request. Try the vegan tofu pad thai, tom yum soup, rad naa (gravy and noodles with broccoli), and pad ke mao (tofu with thai basil and rice noodles). Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by kimward8

Disappointed - Edit

Thai food for vegans is usually off the menu, fish sauce, shrimp paste in everything and all... I was so excited when I heard that Baan Wasana had a separate vegetarian menu with most dishes available as vegan. Maybe I got overexcited because it certainly did not live up to expectations. First of all, we ordered the pad thai as one of our dishes and said no eggs, which we were told was not a problem. However, when the dish arrived, it did have egg in it. They made a new one, and it came fast but it was not good at all.
All our dishes were just bland. No basil, no lemongrass flavour, even the spice level that we asked as medium (to be safe) was mild. Where were the spices and flavours? Sadly, we won't go back and try different dishes. I also always prefer eating at veggie restaurants and this experience reaffirms this belief.

Pros: Veg menu

Cons: Lack of taste

Friendly Staff and Delicious Food - Edit

The staff always remembers that I need a vegetarian menu and that my boyfriend needs a regular one, even if we haven't been there for a year. The vegan pad thai is delicious, as is the laad naa (noodles in gravy with broccoli), and pad kee mao (rice noodles with thai basil and peppers and tofu). The mango with sticky rice for dessert is great too, and even their tamarind candies that come with the bill are awesome. While most Thai restaurants will accomadate vegans, I find it more relaxing having a separate menu so I can order like a normal person!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Food, Big Portions

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Baan Wasana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.