B52 Cafe

Contact 412-408-3988

5202 Butler St (at Upper Lawrenceville), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 15201

Vegan cafe opened Jan 2016 in Upper Lawrenceville. Offers a fusion of American and Middle Eastern cuisine, house baked goods, and a full service espresso bar. There is seating for 35, including a bar, and a to-go section. During the week breakfast is served until 11am, on the weekend brunch. Open Tue-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Mediterranean, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion, Middle Eastern

First Review by patocentron

Great Experience and Atmosphere - Edit

I spent part of an afternoon/evening studying and enjoying the B-52 Cafe. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I'm not vegan, but my boyfriend is. I personally love cheese, so that has been the biggest food that I "miss." The cashew cheese here is amazing. Seriously. I bought some to take home because it was so lovely. I ordered one of their pitas and enjoyed it immensely.

The other cool thing that they have is house made sodas and flavored kombucha.

I highly recommend checking this place out.

Pros: friendly staff, great food, cute vibe

Cons: pricey for a poor college student

Elegant Comfort - Edit

Amazing Sunday brunch! We shared the Tofu Kafta Scramble and from the Mezze menu: Fried Cauliflower, Labneh, and Falafel. We couldn't be happier. But next time we come through town, maybe we will get all 6 items on the Mezze menu. The coffee is delicious, and so is the Cafe Rico, an almond milk latte with cinnamon and orange. I also asked them to wrap us up a couple vegan truffles for later.

Pros: Delicious Eastern European and all Vegan!!

Cons: Busy and a bit loud; totally worth it

B52 is the Bee's Knees - Edit

ALL-VEGAN, EVERYTHING!

B52 opened in January 2016 to widespread arms and excited appetites, grabbing headlines of local magazines and newspapers as one of the 1st 100% vegan establishments in the city of Pittsburgh.

B52 is the concept of Omar Abuhejleh, who also owns Allegro Hearth Bakery in Squirrel Hill. The cafe is located at the corner of Butler and 52nd in Lawrenceville, hence the name.

B52 offers an amazing fusion of Middle-Eastern and American scratch cooked whole food.

We began our meal with a seasonal special coffee drink and a classic cappuccino. The Cafe Rico is 2 shots of espresso with Tahitian vanilla beans, expressed orange oil, cinnamon and house-made almond milk – creamy and thick, one of the best dairy-free frothed coffee drinks we’ve tasted. Lush. Not too sugar sweet, instead naturally sweetened by the vanilla, cinnamon and orange. Balanced, with appropriate caffeine kick. A splendid aperitif. Filling but well worth it.

The Cappuccino, like the Cafe Rico, is one of the greatest dairy-free frothed drinks we’ve experienced, ever! Loads of body, a cushy merengue-like froth, sweet chewable air. (Mouth Feels ftw!)

We decided on the Mezzo: Taste 3 (three sides with a basket of soft pita) and the Kofta Tofu Scramble.

Baba Ghanouj – smoked applewood eggplant, tahini, garlic and lemon. OMG! Best baba we’ve ever tasted. The applewood smoke makes this! Creamy, dreamy, savory!

Labneh – Fermented cashew, mint and za’atar. There are feta and goat qualities to this nut cheese but the taste is more yoghurt. Tangy and super smooth.

Fried Tomatoes – garlic, zhoug and tahini sauce. A stewed tomato consistency. Zhoug is a piquantly refreshing puree of parsley, cilantro, cumin, salt and green chiles. The tahini added a rich hit that mellowed nicely with the creaminess of the fried tomato.

Kofta Tofu Scramble – seitan kofta, spicy minced seitan. The tofu scramble was a low-key but unique take on the common vegan breakfast dish. This was more like a soft scramble, easter peep yellow, understated flavor. It was different but welcome! Served with a side of whole leaves of wilted kale and seasoned, crispy pita. A balanced plate built with love.

OMG B52 is 2DOPE!!! 4Ever!!!

ecoRDN.com

Pros: ALL-VEGAN, EVERYTHING!, Nitro Coffee!!!, Amazing Food

Cozy, Comfy, Creative!! - Edit

We travel a lot for work and eat on the road all the time. Their Chai Latte was incredible. Their latkes and tofu was exceptionally original and their hot sauce (not too spicey if that's your worry!!) is out of this world delicious!! Top it off with a homemade Vegan dessert, what more can you ask for??

Pros: Food quality, Taste, Creativity

Cons: Menu needs a rebrand

fantastic - Edit

Had a very nice lunch here. The staff was all very friendly and the food was delicious. Had my first ever vegan shawarma. Amazing. They also have a fridge of cashew cheeses and hummus and other things that you can buy and take home. Their homemade kombucha was great as well. Definitely recommend. Prices weren't bad either.

awesome! - Edit

This was our second choice for lunch today. This is a holiday weekend and number one was closed and this was an awesome second. We were here on a Sunday, so it was the brunch menu. We did the small plates, hummus, falafel, cauliflower and the cheese dip. All were excellent, I would skip the cheese one, it was the lesser of the others. We also enjoyed the flatbread with shiitake mushrooms and greens. Very tasty!! House Made kombuchu was great. Worth seeking this place out. Also it was Sunday and we arrived around 1pm and very busy. We sat at the community table and it was very nice

Pros: great services, selection and everything is made in house, wide selection of house made drinks

Cons: parking, busy on Sunday's

Ok - Edit

I ventured out this way because this is a vegan cafe, and I had to make my rounds. I had a great tea-latte. The falafel salad was better than expected, but a little higher-priced. Had a cinnamon roll... was medium. Friendly service though and clean. Plenty of eat-in seats, and they will wait on you. Limited baked goods.

Pros: Friendly, All vegan

Cons: Limited breakfast options, Limited baked goods, No gluten-free baked goods

Return to Pittsburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has B52 Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.