First Review by vtraveller

Pretty Good - Edit

Azla is a great place with great people. I'm so glad there's a full vegan option in that area but there's some issues with flavor quality control. Sometimes the rice is under cooked, sometimes over cooked, sometimes the tofu is too hard, you just never know what you're going to get, but it's still a good option!

A great place and great food - Edit

I had a really good lunch at Azla. The prices are good for such quality food : I had a plate of brown rice with tofu and vegetables for $9.50, and I coulnd't finish it because I was not hungry enough for all that quantity!
Azla is really worth the trip.

Pros: Tasty food, Good service, Quantity

yummy find - Edit

I discovered this place when I went to the Southern California Library book sale. What a find! Besides having my favorite dishes they have three other yummy dishes I'd never come across including a tofu dish!!! And they have some yummylicious vegan cupcakes. Can't wait to go back.

UH? MAZING! - Edit

Okay so I'm 16 and come from a Hispanic family that is very into their meats (unfortunately) so I'm very limited on being able to go to restaurants where they're strictly Veg. I found Azla which is very close to me and fell in love! I go there every time my parents are at the DMV which is often. (DMV is right across). The service is amazing. They're open to answer any questions. The chickpea mash is AMAZING!They regularly have weekly meal specials. I love when they make their pizzas! Plus its inexpensive. Their is also a natural fruit and vegetable smoothie stand right across which is also amazing.

Pros: service, good taste, cozy location

Pretty good! - Edit

We had two vegetarian/vegans in our group so we decided to try this restaurant on the way to an event in downtown LA. The food was tasty and it was nice to be able to order anything on the menu. Since this restaurant is located in a food court the non-vegetarians also ended up being able to get something to their preferences also. Since it's in a food court though, if you're looking for more of a fine dining experience, this would not be it. On all other counts though I would definitely recommend.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Informal if you want something fancier

Simple yet sooo so good! - Edit

Two things I did not expect about Azla -
1. It's in a cozy food market
2. It's a simple and small menu

None of these things are a negative. In fact I think they're both positive aspects. Great for people watching and great to keep your dietary requirements simple and without question.

I went for my first time today and had one of everything, except the tofu. I about cried when I saw they had gluten free cupcakes! It was all so so so good. The jalapeno salad. The kale salad. The chickpea mash. The collard green/kale sautee. The BREAD! OMG! Being gluten free is hell, guys. I get boils if I eat gluten though so it's rare when I get to have truly great breads and baked goods. Their wrap bread was moist and fluffy. So so satisfying.

The customer service was ridiculously thoughtful. They understand food issues. No heckling, no judgement - just warm hearts.

Overall, their foods were simple. Not over spiced but really flavorful. Really filling. Their deserts made me cry. Their customer service was warm and welcoming. Great price for the specialty niche of people they're feeding. I am definitely happy to go back here often, from here on out.

Pros: Baked Goods, The Gluten Free Promise/Food, The Market They're In

Cons: Nope, None

Clean food - Edit

I had read about this place on Happycow and saw the reviews, so I made the trip out to check it out for myself. Here's my Azla Vegan review.

It's basically a food counter that sits in a food court inside a Mexican shops building, in the middle of a commercial area nearby the University of Southern California. Azla is the only vegan food establishment here, but unfortunately, all I could smell upon walking inside was cooked meat.

The food counter looked very clean, and the ladies were friendly. On the day I went in for lunch, there was very little food left, and it didn't seem like the staff was going to make any more. Too bad. I had wanted to try the combo hot food platter but opted for the salads combo instead.

The salads tasted fresh and yummy (kale, beets) but the portion was rather small for the price. Came with a piece of injera bread -- could ask for two if you wish.

Pros: healthy and clean, tasty salad

Cons: small portions, shares space with meat shops

Delish - Edit

This was my first foray into Ethiopian cuisine and Azla Vegan did not disappoint. Generous servings, friendly service and delicious eats made for an amazing dinner!

Pros: Large portions, Friendly staff, Ample seating

delicious - Edit

I was serving on jury duty and wanted somewhere walking distance to go to for lunch, so I randomly found this place on HappyCow. It is in a food court. You can get 2, 3, or 4 items plus inerja bread or brown rice. I got red lentils, kale salad with peaches, beet salad, and green beans with carrots. The portions are moderate sized and I really enjoyed the food. It wasn't too oily or heavy.

Pros: delicious, healthy, friendly

Cons: portions moderate sized

re(fresh)ing - Edit

we weren't sure where to eat tonight, we were all just browsing happycow options and i came across azla vegan, read the description, and everyone was immediately interested! we hopped in the car from rosemead, arrived 30 min. later, and loved it! we managed to get a yummy sample platter from them before they closed, the portion sizes were great, and the prices were affordable. the mother and daughter running the spot had lovely and welcoming energy--they even thought i was ethiopian, which i often get, and is always complimentary no doubt. (smile) i will most definitely return and if i lived in la i'd become a regular!

Pros: customer service, flavorful food, portion size

Nice addition to the area - Edit

Tried the combo plate and was pretty happy with it, filling. Their desserts are good too. For this area and this little mall this is a great new spot, although I probably wouldn't drive here from far away. Food is sitting out and not made to order (at least when I visited). Friendly folks working there.

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Azla Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4644 times since Jun 2013.